Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hill Hold - Different for Uphill vs Downhill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I come to a gentle stop going uphill, the Hold mode activates without me having to do anything.

However, if I come to a gentle stop going downhill, I have to apply significantly more brake to engage Hold mode.

I'm sure this is intentional but I can't think of any reason why the car shouldn't realize that I have applied 'some' brake while vehicle speed is zero, and engage Hold mode.

What do you guys think?

Always thought the hold feature was activated by pressing on the brake whether on an incline or decline. It makes sense that decline would take more pressure to apply brakes depending on how you slow down. Are you using Regen or brakes to low down.

Did notice that in some situations mostly when the car is in a certain degree downhill, hold feature will not work. Possibility a safety issue ‍♀️

I'm using 'Standard' regen. But below 4-5mph, you have to apply the friction brakes to stop on a decline. And when you apply the minimum amount of brake needed to stop on a decline, the Hold mode does not engage. You have to apply significantly more brake than needed to stop the vehicle on a decline, to engage Hold mode. Try it for yourself as long as you are a good enough driver to come to a really gentle stop on a decline.

I realize decline requires more brakes to come to a gentle stop, but even once I've applied a certain amount of brake pressure to come to a stop, I have to apply even more brake to engage hold mode.

My observations based on AWD built Oct 2018, standard regen, creep off:
On level ground, hold activates with only ounces of additional brake pressure after coming to a stop, and sometimes with no additional brake pressure.
On a downhill slope, after coming to a stop I need to apply 30-50 lbs of additional pressure to engage brake hold.
On an uphill slope I need to apply about 10 lbs of additional pressure to engage brake hold.

Yep, exactly. And resuming forward drive using the accel pedal on a decline is much jerkier, as a result.

Can anyone think of a reason why Hold won't activate with only few ounces of additional brake pressure after coming to a stop, during all slopes?

How do we submit a bug/feature request to Tesla?

It is NOT a bug , and is actually common sense

I like it the way it is , as there is thought behind why it works better this way .

When going uphill , you want the "hold" to engage easier , so we don't accidently roll backwards downhill and bump a car behind us.

However, when going downhill, there is no danger of rolling backwards up the hill.

Many times when on a decline (at a merge ,slow traffic, stop sign line up etc) I only need to stop for a second or two , and then want to creep forward. I use the friction brake to momentarily stop, then just have to let my foot off the pedal, and the car smoothly moves forward down the hill. I don't want the hold feature constantly coming on as I slowly make my way down a hill.

IF I need to stop longer when going downhill (like at a light) I can press a bit harder and get the hold to engage.

The ONLY reason you are "jerking" down the hill, is because you are driving incorrectly.

Let you foot off the brake , start rolling downhill and then press the accelerator to go even faster.

Reactions: David L
The OP's description of Hold is precisely correct based on my experience.

I 100% agree with @CanadianMetal - the way it works makes perfect sense. If you're on a decline and have engaged Hold, the logical way to disengage it is with the brake, not the accelerator (and the screen tells you this), because you still want to be applying braking pressure after hold is disengaged, to smoothly move with the flow of traffic as it speeds up.

OK, I see your points about not wanting Hold to engage when letting gravity creep you down a hill in momentary stop conditions. I'll have to look closer at the screen to confirm that it wants you to only 'press the brake pedal' to disable hold on a decline versus the message to 'press brake OR accel pedal' when stopped on an incline.

Regardless, it allows you to disengage Hold mode on a decline with the accel pedal, and it takes way too much to disengage. Releasing Hold with the accel pedal on a decline loads the drivetrain up with a significant amount of torque until the brakes suddenly release, and you feel a jerk. If the car is going to allow me to release Hold with the accel pedal, do it with the minimum accel pedal needed, kind of like the way it works on an incline.

Every single car I've ever owned up to this point has had 3 pedals and all I have to do is decrease brake pressure to get going on a decline. In this car, per your advice, I actually have to apply more brake pedal to disengage Hold and then slowly release to get going. Counter-intuitive to say the least.

Hopefully regen will soon work all the way down to 0mph, so I don't have to bother with this nonsense.

Every single car I've ever owned up to this point has had 3 pedals and all I have to do is decrease brake pressure to get going on a decline. In this car, per your advice, I actually have to apply more brake pedal to disengage Hold and then slowly release to get going. Counter-intuitive to say the least.

You don't need to use Hold on a decline; I usually don't. Unless you're mashing the brake when coming to a stop, Hold isn't engaged unintentionally. So, this car should operate in the exact manner you described (with no Hold).

If you WANT to use hold when on a decline (or if you've engaged it unintentionally), then the best way to disengage, as described previously, is to use the brake.