Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hill Hold Function

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Model S (or today's Roadsters) behave when stopped on a steep incline?

I own a Audi A3 with the DSG gearbox (hydraulically operated dual clutch gearbox that is more like a manual then an automatic) and the car has a hill hold function that will apply the brake when you first let your foot off the brake on a steep hill to stop the car from rolling backwards until you hit the gas and the clutch engages.

I assume that without something like this a single speed electric car would naturally want to roll backwards after lifting the brake on a steep hill. How Tesla is handling this today and with the Model S?

Thanks,

Does anyone know how the Model S (or today's Roadsters) behave when stopped on a steep incline?

I own a Audi A3 with the DSG gearbox (hydraulically operated dual clutch gearbox that is more like a manual then an automatic) and the car has a hill hold function that will apply the brake when you first let your foot off the brake on a steep hill to stop the car from rolling backwards until you hit the gas and the clutch engages.

I assume that without something like this a single speed electric car would naturally want to roll backwards after lifting the brake on a steep hill. How Tesla is handling this today and with the Model S?

Thanks,

That is a very good question, how would an electric car with the regenerative breaking handle hill assist? I also have this on my Toyota Rav4 and trigger it on there by pressing hard on the breaks while on the hill to give me a few seconds to take my foot off and move it to the gas pedal to release.

It's been discussed other places, but the Roadster does not have a hill-hold feature. Though, I'd say that's what the handbrake is for.

Good question regarding the Model S, though, and I don't recall an answer. In principle the Model S could use a tilt sensor and engage the electric parking brake for this type of function.

That's why some of us like "creep" (see this Roadster thread). I find that on the Roadster there is enough to hold the car or at least keep it creeping uphill when I'm stopped. That said, the highest natural point in Florida is only 345ft above sea level so I have never been on what you might call a "steep incline".

I have no idea what it might be on the Model S.

That's why some of us like "creep" (see this Roadster thread). I find that on the Roadster there is enough to hold the car or at least keep it creeping uphill when I'm stopped. That said, the highest natural point in Florida is only 345ft above sea level so I have never been on what you might call a "steep incline".

In my experience it all depends on the slope; it can roll backwards. To me it seems like there is simply a forward bias, and that there's a balance point where it will more-or-less stay put.

The creep function uses a fair amount of energy. I don't know the number for Tesla, but in the Prius it's 500W. Best to put your foot on the brake rather than use the creep (other than the short time between when your foot leaves the brake and pushes on the accelerator.

In the Roadster, you can always two-foot it (as long as the brake is on, no power goes to the motor, then lifting the brake gets immediate go-power), but I haven't found a need to. The creep is enough such that my roll-backwards amount is far less than I could do in my manual 911.

The BMW ActiveE has a hill holding feature. When the brake pedal is released, the friction brakes keep holding the car in place for two seconds, or until the accelerator is engaged. After two seconds, the friction brakes release and the car can and will roll backwards. In the ActiveE, regen is dialed back very smoothly at low speeds, so it won't hold the car still on a slope. One can use the accelerator to hold the car still up hill instead of the brakes. In that case, there is no hill holding--let up on the accelerator and the car rolls backwards. Only by using the brake pedal at 0 MPH triggers the hill holding feature.

The BMW ActiveE has a hill holding feature. When the brake pedal is released, the friction brakes keep holding the car in place for two seconds, or until the accelerator is engaged. After two seconds, the friction brakes release and the car can and will roll backwards. In the ActiveE, regen is dialed back very smoothly at low speeds, so it won't hold the car still on a slope. One can use the accelerator to hold the car still up hill instead of the brakes. In that case, there is no hill holding--let up on the accelerator and the car rolls backwards. Only by using the brake pedal at 0 MPH triggers the hill holding feature.

Nice, I hope Model S doesn't roll backward. Our Civic Hybrid does this now and it is very scary when you don't expect it due to significant amount of torque lag. Do you know how ActiveE accomplishes this? Model S has a second brake caliper parking brake on the rear rotors, maybe they will be used for hill hold?

I have a steep incline every time I exit from the office parking lot. The Prius never rolls backwards. I've even tried to make it do that since this thread started.

The Prius has an automatic transmission right? As such I would not expect it to roll backwards.

No, the Prius has a two motor-generator power split (technically torque split) transmission that simulates a continuously variable transmission. It implements hill hold by commanding a forward torque from MG2 that is proportional to the rearward speed with a large proportionality factor. It will command the maximum 400 Nm MG2 torque for rearward speeds of 5 km/h, if my memory serves correctly. So, it will roll backwards, but only very slowly.

Anyone that drives with both feet on brake and gas shouldn't be allowed to drive anyway...

So what's your technique for a driving an automatic car in a steep road with stop and go traffic? As soon as you let go of the brakes your car will reverse and hit the car behind you. If you try to quickly move your foot to the "gas" pedal, you will more than likely over throttle and hit the car in front of you.

So what's your technique for a driving an automatic car in a steep road with stop and go traffic? As soon as you let go of the brakes your car will reverse and hit the car behind you. If you try to quickly move your foot to the "gas" pedal, you will more than likely over throttle and hit the car in front of you.

Automatic, or manual? Can't remember rolling back in any of my automatic vehicles.