Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hillbilly fix for rear seat squeaking - Refreshed S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sam1

Sep 11, 2019
NV
Found a fix for the rear seat squeaking. Works 100% if your noise is coming from the hinge at the bottom of the seat back that connects the 60/40 section. From what I gathered from troubleshooting, part of that hinge has some slack in it, and creating just a little bit of pressure near the base of the seat back on one side of the split, will create pressure on the hinge and get the squeak to go away. It doesn't need to be much pressure at all; I just put a trash piece of a car detailing sponge in between the seat back and the carpet of the trunk (pics below showing what it was, where & how it was inserted).

When I had the seat out, it looks like the specific issue may reside with that split insert (possibly considered to be a bushing) closes in on itself and reduces the gap/diameter of the insert. Tested this by taking a flat tip screwdriver and twisting it in that insert's gap to open it back out more and the squeak went away, but then it came back again a few days later. With the sponge in between the seat, it has been perfect.

PXL_20221211_050944253.jpg

PXL_20221211_051024330.jpg

PXL_20221211_051047127.jpg

It’s interesting that they still haven’t been able to resolve this failure. I did tried to convince them to have this fixed under my ending new vehicle warranty two years ago. I, myself haven’t noticed any squeaking but this failed hinge part has developed visible marks on the lower right corner of the 1/3 section of the rear seatback.

57B54650-51E5-4355-822C-092B47008270.jpeg

CA145A37-069D-4A38-8701-0FAC88517F91.jpeg

Reactions: Sam1
Thanks, going to try this. I only get the squeak over bumps that twist the car, like if you were going to hit a speed bump but not straight on, just askew where one of the front tires would hit first.

Found a fix for the rear seat squeaking. Works 100% if your noise is coming from the hinge at the bottom of the seat back that connects the 60/40 section. From what I gathered from troubleshooting, part of that hinge has some slack in it, and creating just a little bit of pressure near the base of the seat back on one side of the split, will create pressure on the hinge and get the squeak to go away. It doesn't need to be much pressure at all; I just put a trash piece of a car detailing sponge in between the seat back and the carpet of the trunk (pics below showing what it was, where & how it was inserted).

When I had the seat out, it looks like the specific issue may reside with that split insert (possibly considered to be a bushing) closes in on itself and reduces the gap/diameter of the insert. Tested this by taking a flat tip screwdriver and twisting it in that insert's gap to open it back out more and the squeak went away, but then it came back again a few days later. With the sponge in between the seat, it has been perfect.

View attachment 883667

View attachment 883668

View attachment 883669
Just imagine how much you paid for this premium car only to resort to this. Please send a copy to Elon. He may want to incorporate this fix into the car in future.

• Funny
Reactions: DimaCA and Sam1
I don’t want to defend Tesla too much because they clearly have more quality issues than other manufacturers.

Having had 3 new luxury cars in the last 5 years I would say I’m not impressed with the quality in the $75k+ range.

This is how I spent my Christmas break last year on my previous 2019 RS5 after the dealer tried 3 times to fix a rattle unsuccessfully. Wasn’t happy to be doing that on a $90k car but I did fix it.
F511F6F7-7736-420E-81FB-2FA4391838D6.jpeg

Not surprised at a Benz dealership,while checking out the EQS, someone mentioned that Tesla is a stripped down version of the Benz. Benz should feel insulted by that statement. Tesla is no where close. But I’m surprised the statement was made by one of their staff. Sorry, I digressed. Glad you could fix it. My creaking model Y ‘s creaks is a conversation started every time someone get in the car with me. So why fix it?

I don’t want to defend Tesla too much because they clearly have more quality issues than other manufacturers.

Having had 3 new luxury cars in the last 5 years I would say I’m not impressed with the quality in the $75k+ range.

This is how I spent my Christmas break last year on my previous 2019 RS5 after the dealer tried 3 times to fix a rattle unsuccessfully. Wasn’t happy to be doing that on a $90k car but I did fix it.View attachment 883941
Usually not a fan of green, but that is a cool shade of it!

Reactions: laakness
Has anyone had a squeak in their side support of the front seats, inner side (both seats)? I thought it was the seat rubbing against the center console, but after installing some felt vinyl to the console, the squeak continued. It sounds like it's coming from inside the seat, the side support cushion, when it's pushed.
Are the seat backs removable?

The most common rattle is the seat latch. You can confirm it by folding the seats down and noticing no more rattle.

My theory is when the car is new, the carpet is at its most plush and pushes against the seat (when latched) and prevents any rattle. Over a fairly short time - 2-4 months, the carpet pile is compressed just enough that now the seat has a little bit of forward/rear slack and it rattles when you hit bumps. Common (short-term) fixes are to wrap the metal U frame with electrical tape (a bit messy over time), or stuff stiff foam in the U frame so that it presses on the seatback when closed. I'm sure there are a few other techniques. I've used the foam technique - a block about 1"x 1" x 3", which lasts about 3 months before the foam is compressed and needs to be replaced. It's easy to experiment with foam in different sizes. The goal is to keep the seat forward slightly when latched. I'm fairly sure Tesla does not yet have a design fix yet for this.

The most common rattle is the seat latch. You can confirm it by folding the seats down and noticing no more rattle.

My theory is when the car is new, the carpet is at its most plush and pushes against the seat (when latched) and prevents any rattle. Over a fairly short time - 2-4 months, the carpet pile is compressed just enough that now the seat has a little bit of forward/rear slack and it rattles when you hit bumps. Common (short-term) fixes are to wrap the metal U frame with electrical tape (a bit messy over time), or stuff stiff foam in the U frame so that it presses on the seatback when closed. I'm sure there are a few other techniques. I've used the foam technique - a block about 1"x 1" x 3", which lasts about 3 months before the foam is compressed and needs to be replaced. It's easy to experiment with foam in different sizes. The goal is to keep the seat forward slightly when latched. I'm fairly sure Tesla does not yet have a design fix yet for this.
Yep, but the squeak seems to be a little different from the rattle. I have both, of course.

Ah yep! (taken from that post) This piece here circled in red was what is squeaking.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 at 12.27.15 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Has anyone had a squeak in their side support of the front seats, inner side (both seats)? I thought it was the seat rubbing against the center console, but after installing some felt vinyl to the console, the squeak continued. It sounds like it's coming from inside the seat, the side support cushion, when it's pushed.
Are the seat backs removable?
I have that annoying side squeak coming from both front seats in a 2016.5. I hear it a lot more when my friend who's 6'3 210+lb sits in the front passenger seat. I hear it constantly anytime he moves around. My driver's seat also seems to be getting worse with the creaks. Super annoying but it only happens when shifting weight towards the inner bolster of the seat.

View attachment 883667

View attachment 883668

View attachment 883669

Nice. Next I'd suggest you find something that spans the full width of the opening that looks like it belongs there... like a piece of black flexible rubber trim or something.

Otherwise, if you're gonna go the sponge route, switch it up for a pair of crusty underwear... then at least it'll have some fun factor.

• Funny
Nice. Next I'd suggest you find something that spans the full width of the opening that looks like it belongs there... like a piece of black flexible rubber trim or something.

Otherwise, if you're gonna go the sponge route, switch it up for a pair of crusty underwear... then at least it'll have some fun factor.
The all weather mat covers up the entire thing, so it's irrelevant to me.

Reactions: father_of_6
I have that annoying side squeak coming from both front seats in a 2016.5. I hear it a lot more when my friend who's 6'3 210+lb sits in the front passenger seat. I hear it constantly anytime he moves around. My driver's seat also seems to be getting worse with the creaks. Super annoying but it only happens when shifting weight towards the inner bolster of the seat.
Yes, I'm 6' 1" 250 lbs, so the side bolsters are definitely in play. They were rubbing the armrest every time I got in or out.
Finally found a YT video with a "solution". Moleskin patches! These work best with the tan interior as they blend in better, not as obvious.
But so far, the rubbing creaks are mostly gone! $2 fix.
As for other interior colors, I put black felt vinyl on the side of the armrest initially. Would probably work on black seats. White interior, maybe white felt vinyl.