TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hills? I've got your hills right here!

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by efusco, Dec 27, 2012.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Took a 75+ mile round trip from my home in Nixa, Mo to Branson, Mo through the Ozark Mountains tonight on Hwy. 65 which has a posted 65mph speed limit that I drove at a pretty steady 75, climbing to about 85 on the downhill runs to take advantage of gravity tonight. ~37F outside and I averaged about 380Wh/mi and used about 30kWh of battery on the trip. My entire family of 5 was in the car running the climate control at 68F.

Here's a sample of the energy screen on the trip down.
    8315801123_301a3bef28.jpg
    2012-12-27 16.13.05 by efusco, on Flickr

Link to profile map

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's pretty impressive Evan. I've also learned to just regen to make up for heavy usage. Gotta pass someone or chug a hill? Regen it back!

3. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

That makes me feel better, as I live on a hill (and go over another one on my daily commute) and I've been wondering what kind of hit I would take to average Wh/mi. Thanks for the post! :)

4. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Dave checkout this regen range coming down Weir. The regen is extremely powerful, will slow you to a near stop if you let it...
    image.jpg

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

That's cheating using the 5 mi graph! LOL! I had so much off the chart on my drive yesterday that I had to extend to the 15 mile graph just to keep the peaks and valleys on the screen!

6. dlmorgan999

dlmorgan999 Member

I was also thinking about that. On my drive to work over 175th, I always have to use the brakes coming down the hill. The regen will actually save a good deal of brake wear for me! :)

BTW - whose car was that screenshot from Greg? I thought you didn't have yours yet?

7. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

The brown perf. Michael from the store was kind enough to give me test drive home and back, since I live so close, plus he wanted to know how it would handle on this steep hill too. But shhhh, keep it quiet, as I don't think they want to offer those kind of drives to everyone.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

You do know that this is a public forum, right? :wink:

9. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

Yeah I've tried to keep it under wraps until now. But you could call it the TMC advantage too. ;)