Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hills? I've got your hills right here!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Took a 75+ mile round trip from my home in Nixa, Mo to Branson, Mo through the Ozark Mountains tonight on Hwy. 65 which has a posted 65mph speed limit that I drove at a pretty steady 75, climbing to about 85 on the downhill runs to take advantage of gravity tonight. ~37F outside and I averaged about 380Wh/mi and used about 30kWh of battery on the trip. My entire family of 5 was in the car running the climate control at 68F.

Here's a sample of the energy screen on the trip down.
8315801123_301a3bef28.jpg
2012-12-27 16.13.05 by efusco, on Flickr

Link to profile map

That makes me feel better, as I live on a hill (and go over another one on my daily commute) and I've been wondering what kind of hit I would take to average Wh/mi. Thanks for the post! :)

Dave checkout this regen range coming down Weir. The regen is extremely powerful, will slow you to a near stop if you let it...
image.jpg

Dave checkout this regen range coming down Weir. The regen is extremely powerful, will slow you to a near stop if you let it...
View attachment 13592

That's cheating using the 5 mi graph! LOL! I had so much off the chart on my drive yesterday that I had to extend to the 15 mile graph just to keep the peaks and valleys on the screen!

View attachment 13592
I was also thinking about that. On my drive to work over 175th, I always have to use the brakes coming down the hill. The regen will actually save a good deal of brake wear for me! :)

BTW - whose car was that screenshot from Greg? I thought you didn't have yours yet?

I was also thinking about that. On my drive to work over 175th, I always have to use the brakes coming down the hill. The regen will actually save a good deal of brake wear for me! :)

BTW - whose car was that screenshot from Greg? I thought you didn't have yours yet?

The brown perf. Michael from the store was kind enough to give me test drive home and back, since I live so close, plus he wanted to know how it would handle on this steep hill too. But shhhh, keep it quiet, as I don't think they want to offer those kind of drives to everyone.