Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hilton Head, SC Charging... not ideal!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from a short trip to Hilton Head before (Charlotte to Hilton Head and back) before school starts. We went down on Thursday and came back on Sunday.

Short story - charging on the island is difficult at best. I made it even more challenging by forgetting to bring along my mobile connector and 110v adapter.

I had planned to charge overnight using a standard household outlet on the exterior of the house we were renting for the weekend. I wouldn't have gotten much out of it but based on prior experience I was expecting 4ish miles per hour which meant I could easily add around 50 miles per night at a minimum. I did this when we went to the mountains a few weeks ago and was getting 60-70 miles per night. With this plan we would've been perfectly fine because we really didn't drive much once we got there - maybe 30 miles per day.

We arrived with 150 miles of range and then I realized I didn't have my charge cable. DOH!!

I knew there were a handful of level 2 chargers spread around the island. What I didn't know is that finding an open one would be difficult! I was able to charge for a little bit on Thursday night while we ate at Rockfish and then again on Friday evening at Shelter Cove.

But on Saturday I was in bad shape with only 130ish miles of range. So I decided to go find a charger and Uber back to the house while it charged for 4-5 hours. I could NOT find an open charger to save my life. I went to 6 before I finally found one (the same one at Shelter Cover again). At this point I only had a little over 100 miles of range and we were leaving on Sunday so I wanted to get at least above 200 miles so that we could easily make it to the Santee SC. I'd imagine that finding an open charger on the island during peak summer season would be next to impossible. I got lucky that we were there at the very end of summer when the crowds are lower.

Anyway - I plugged it in and Ubered back to the house and hung out with the family for the afternoon. I was able to get up to 250 miles and by the time we left on Sunday morning I had around 230 miles. We made it to Santee with plenty to spare and the rest of the trip was uneventful.

BUT... this is the first time I've had range anxiety since buying my M3. Admittedly this was 100% my fault for forgetting my charge cable. However, this also points out some issues that I think need to be addressed over time. Hilton Head is a big tourist destination. There are a billion other places like this in the world and I'm sure this scenario exists in many of those.

Here's the scenario - you can EASILY travel TO the destination and arrive with approximately 50% charge due to the robust SC network. But if there are not enough charging options at the destination (and often there aren't) you will be stressed. I feel like the Tesla SC network does a good job (for the most part) of comfortably getting you to where you're going. But a gap exists at the actual destination that can leave you scrambling to get enough charge to get you back home. We (Tesla/EV owners) are still early adopters I think. Hopefully the infrastructure will continue to be built out to address these types of issues. I personally don't think that it should be up to Tesla to do all of this. But it SURE would be helpful if they placed a SC location in areas like this to solve the issue.

That’s why you need to remember to bring your own cables....
Yea - I agree and I mentioned that a few times. It's 100% my fault but I still think there's a broader issue that will hopefully be addressed over time.

I've already ordered a Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and the Gen 2 NEMA Adapter set to keep in my car permanently to ensure this doesn't happen again.

If you bring your charging cable, it would also help to rent a house where you can actually do level 2 charging. This will probably require an inquiry with the owner to determine the closest compatible 220 outlet. It may involve running cables through a window or a door (short term), but you'll charge 10x faster. When I used Rockfish during a visit there last year, that's when I realized that Level 2 charging during a meal doesn't really amount to much.

If you bring your charging cable, it would also help to rent a house where you can actually do level 2 charging. This will probably require an inquiry with the owner to determine the closest compatible 220 outlet. It may involve running cables through a window or a door (short term), but you'll charge 10x faster. When I used Rockfish during a visit there last year, that's when I realized that Level 2 charging during a meal doesn't really amount to much.
Yea - I thought about that as well. With the adapter set that I bought I can plug into any outlet. I could use the dryer outlet and get decent charging.

I agree with you on Level 2 charging. At best I was breaking even using those chargers while we ate. The only way to make those really work is to leave them on the charger for 4+ hours... which is what every dang Tesla on the island was doing on Saturday! I was lucky that I ended up finding an open charger at Shelter Cove. My next option was to drive to the Savannah SC. I would've wasted 90 miles getting to and from but I would've still ended up with about the same ending charge.

It's 100% my fault but I still think there's a broader issue that will hopefully be addressed over time.

I know what you mean about recharging uncertainty at remote or popular destinations, but don't think of this as an "issue to be addressed over time".

Rather, it is the reality of scaling capital intensive infrastructure for peak demand - doing so would be unprofitable and unreasonable for any company, let alone one with negative CF, like Tesla. Instead, I always travel with portable cable + J1772 adopter in the frunk, and plan to fallback on EVgo or ChargePoint networks when traveling.

Long-term solution is battery chemistry that will support <5 minute recharging times, but we are still far away from that.

If you travel to a destination where 120V AC access could be a spotty or snowed under, or exceedingly touristy areas, or you just don't want to subject your passengers to repeated super-charging stops, just take your ICE car!

I already ordered a Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and the Gen 2 NEMA Adapter set to keep in my car permanently to ensure this doesn't happen again.

NEMA 240V plug, if accessible, will increase your charging speeds, but won't solve availability limitations.

J1772 is used at most public and non-Tesla-owned charging stations. That's what gets me out if charging troubles most of the time.

HTH,
a

One more thing I’d like to add is for people to use the “PlugShare” app. I always check-in on the app when I charge (to include superchargers). Other users can send you a message if needed. This came in handy when I needed to use a destination charger that was full. I messaged the user that was also using the app and he told me he would come down and unplug for me.

One more thing I’d like to add is for people to use the “PlugShare” app. I always check-in on the app when I charge (to include superchargers). Other users can send you a message if needed. This came in handy when I needed to use a destination charger that was full. I messaged the user that was also using the app and he told me he would come down and unplug for me.
That's good to know. I was using the app to find chargers but I wasn't checking in at the charging stations nor were other folks using them either.

Long rant for a mental error.....asking Tesla for help? Next time, charge at the Savannah Airport SC, 45 miles from Hilton Head. I used the Tesla destination charger at the Westin Hotel at Barony Beach. Went there for dinner one night, and they let me leave the car overnight in their garage...I walked next door to my room at Marriott Barony Beach. That was 2 years ago, but I would guess it is still there.

Long rant for a mental error.....asking Tesla for help? Next time, charge at the Savannah Airport SC, 45 miles from Hilton Head. I used the Tesla destination charger at the Westin Hotel at Barony Beach. Went there for dinner one night, and they let me leave the car overnight in their garage...I walked next door to my room at Marriott Barony Beach. That was 2 years ago, but I would guess it is still there.
It wasn't a rant.

Yes, it was a mental error and I called that out specifically quite a few times.

I also said it's not necessarily on Tesla to address.

Glad you were able to work things out for your particular situation. I was staying at a house in Sea Pines so parking it somewhere for overnight charging and strolling next door to my hotel room wasn't an option.

My point is that Hilton Head is just one area where this is an issue. There are probably hundreds/thousands just like it. Yes, you can easily get there but you're going to have issues staying charged or getting charged for the drive home unless you plan very carefully. This equals range anxiety and range anxiety is one of the biggest hurdles that EVs face today so the issue needs to be addressed before broader adoption of EVs happens.

For someone coming in from the North, the Savannah SC isn't ideal at all. I elected to charge at the Santee SC which worked very well for getting me to the island with 150/160 miles of range upon arrival. Going to Savannah would've likely netted me the same end results but added an hour or more to the trip.

Driving off the island to charge in Savannah was my last resort. It would've consumed 90 miles of range and taken a long time and I would've likely ended up with the same miles before departure on Sunday. Luckily I found a better solution that still allowed me to stay with my family all day.

For someone coming in from the North, the Savannah SC isn't ideal at all. I elected to charge at the Santee SC which worked very well for getting me to the island with 150/160 miles of range upon arrival. Going to Savannah would've likely netted me the same end results but added an hour or more to the trip.

Driving off the island to charge in Savannah was my last resort. It would've consumed 90 miles of range and taken a long time and I would've likely ended up with the same miles before departure on Sunday. Luckily I found a better solution that still allowed me to stay with my family all day.

Not to mention how hard it is to find, its almost always full and you have to validate your parking. This one needs an upgrade/ another location (outlet mall).

Yea - I agree and I mentioned that a few times. It's 100% my fault but I still think there's a broader issue that will hopefully be addressed over time.

I've already ordered a Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle and the Gen 2 NEMA Adapter set to keep in my car permanently to ensure this doesn't happen again.

For sure Hilton Head is not ideal, I have a rental property and a vacation home there so I am well aware of the challenges. I've added a HPWC to the vacation home and will be adding a L2 charger to my rental property in the fall. I drive from Atlanta which is not easy with an X as Macon is ~215 miles from my HHI location. If the Metter GA, SC site ever gets built that will help a lot for Atlanta folks traveling on I-16.

Savannah SC would not be ideal either for you either as you would need to back track to Charlotte (and the site is busy, small and generally not well liked). Did you try charging at the Bombaras Grille? (Rock Fish Seafood & Steaks at Bomboras). I drive by there occasionally and see Tesla's parked there, they have 2 chargers up to 16kW so that would be ideal for you, the food reviews are decent although I've never eaten there. Plenty of shops at Coligny Plaza including Piggly Wiggly as well.

For sure Hilton Head is not ideal, I have a rental property and a vacation home there so I am well aware of the challenges. I've added a HPWC to the vacation home and will be adding a L2 charger to my rental property in the fall. I drive from Atlanta which is not easy with an X as Macon is ~215 miles from my HHI location. If the Metter GA, SC site ever gets built that will help a lot for Atlanta folks traveling on I-16.

Savannah SC would not be ideal either for you either as you would need to back track to Charlotte (and the site is busy, small and generally not well liked). Did you try charging at the Bombaras Grille? (Rock Fish Seafood & Steaks at Bomboras). I drive by there occasionally and see Tesla's parked there, they have 2 chargers up to 16kW so that would be ideal for you, the food reviews are decent although I've never eaten there. Plenty of shops at Coligny Plaza including Piggly Wiggly as well.
Yea - we charged there the first night. I tried to go back there on Saturday to charge (and Uber back to the house) but two other M3s beat me to it. Almost every charger was being used that day! It was crazy!

By the way - the food at Rock Fish is pretty good. I found it to be a bit pricey for what you get but I'd still go back. Cool atmosphere, lots of good beers on tap and they've got a good menu.

If I'm renting or visiting a house, I usually I bring my mobile charger + 25' long extension cord + 110v adapter. Then I just plug it unto an outdoor outlet and let it charge around the clock. This is usually enough to cover around town driving.