TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hindsight: What the Model X should have been

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Lex, May 18, 2015.

1. Lex

Lex Member

Perhaps the Model X should have been a service vehicle.

A cube van !

Instead of intricate, rich, and lavish, it would have been bigger, sparse, barren, and ready for business, as well as for customization for those who couldn't wait for a factory-built SUV/CUV... remember the rockin' custom Econoline 150's in the 70s and 80s ?? :biggrin:

In the same way the Roadster - Model S - Model 3 development strategy (oh and the original one didn't mention the X by my recollection) paved the way in cautious steps, the X cargo van could have created a robust, "overly engineered" service platform that've readily adapted to a luxurious SUV / CUV vehicle with towing capabilities.

Just an idea, I haven't done a business plan or anything ... the commercial vehicle market is a very different one.

Thoughts ?

2. paulwesterberg

Cube vans have horrible aerodynamics. 300 miles of range could easily work out to 150 miles real world.

I do agree that most local delivery trucks will soon switch to electric because they stand to save a ton on gas even if the upfront costs are higher.

3. Nubo

Nubo Test Mule

4. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

5. Lex

Lex Member

lol both very nice :biggrin:

How about this:
    voyager.jpg

Ironically, that beast was born of the opposite strategy I suggested above -- a car that was made into a van that was then turned into a service vehicle. Poor Torqueflite 4-speed car transmissions :scared:

6. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

I suspect the commercial space runs on thinner margins than Tesla seems to want to chase. That said, Smith Electric Vehicles seems to do OK.

Smith-Banner2.jpg

And Nissan is doing an electric version of the NV200 van.
    nissan-e-nv200.jpg

The space is littered with the remains of dead companies though. Sadly Bright Automotive's PHEV Idea van never saw the light of day.

7_ext_psgrsideon_090413_2.jpg

7. jdevo2004

jdevo2004 Member

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Hopefully Ford will approach Tesla to get an electric drivetrain for their Transit Courier and similar vans. I rather doubt the same will happen with the Mercedes-Benz/Dodge Sprinter vans.

9. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

What the Model X should have been is... in my garage by now.

:cool: