Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hint: HPWC cable from indoors to outdoors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi.
I sometimes charge inside and sometimes outside my garage. I also MUCH prefer a simple look outside without a lot of stuff.
So I mounted my HPWC inside and drilled a 2" hole through my wall. I passed 2" ABS pipe through and out collars on the inside and outside to trap the "conduit". And AMAZING the Tesla connector is small enough to pass through. I also then customized some 2" caps to give it a finished look. I think it is great. It has worked very well now for 2 years. I suggest it for anyone who doesn't want a cable under their garage door, or wants a clean look outside.
I hope this helps someone.
IMG_20190428_123947.jpg
IMG_20190428_124001.jpg
IMG_20190428_124042.jpg
IMG_20190428_123954.jpg

That's interesting. When I got my first "EV" (a Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid), I did not immediately buy a Level 2 EVSE for it. Instead, I kept the car's Level 1 EVSE inside my kitchen and ran the cable out to the driveway via a window. (I have a driveway, but no garage.) I built a wooden box, inspired by window air conditioners, through which I routed the cable. The box included a place to store the cable and J1772 handle, with spray-foam insulation in the back. It worked pretty well, but I installed a true Level 2 EVSE outside before winter weather got too cold, so I don't know how well this would have handled snow and deep-winter Rhode Island cold. Your solution is more elegant than mine for a garage, but I don't think I'd have wanted to drill a hole through my kitchen's wall.