TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hint: HPWC cable from indoors to outdoors

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by LukasSwan, Apr 28, 2019.

1. LukasSwan

LukasSwan Member

Hi.
    I sometimes charge inside and sometimes outside my garage. I also MUCH prefer a simple look outside without a lot of stuff.
    So I mounted my HPWC inside and drilled a 2" hole through my wall. I passed 2" ABS pipe through and out collars on the inside and outside to trap the "conduit". And AMAZING the Tesla connector is small enough to pass through. I also then customized some 2" caps to give it a finished look. I think it is great. It has worked very well now for 2 years. I suggest it for anyone who doesn't want a cable under their garage door, or wants a clean look outside.
    I hope this helps someone. IMG_20190428_123947.jpg IMG_20190428_124001.jpg IMG_20190428_124042.jpg IMG_20190428_123954.jpg

• Like x 4
  2. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

That's interesting. When I got my first "EV" (a Chevy Volt plug-in hybrid), I did not immediately buy a Level 2 EVSE for it. Instead, I kept the car's Level 1 EVSE inside my kitchen and ran the cable out to the driveway via a window. (I have a driveway, but no garage.) I built a wooden box, inspired by window air conditioners, through which I routed the cable. The box included a place to store the cable and J1772 handle, with spray-foam insulation in the back. It worked pretty well, but I installed a true Level 2 EVSE outside before winter weather got too cold, so I don't know how well this would have handled snow and deep-winter Rhode Island cold. Your solution is more elegant than mine for a garage, but I don't think I'd have wanted to drill a hole through my kitchen's wall.

3. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

That’s a great solution! Looks very clean.

If I had thought of it, I probably would’ve mounted the Wall Connector inside my garage, and then just passed the cable outside. Instead we did a full outdoor install, which is working fine too.