Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hired a Tesla M3 SR+ for a few days...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are entirely right. I had doubts I made the right choice and this hire has told me a) right decision to get a tesla and b) right decision to get a M3LR.

Awesome too that I got some other M3 drivers waving at me, and a guy at the Stansted supercharger let me charge before he was finished.. (I was in a rush and had to pick my other half at the airport.
Deciding to buy a Tesla is the easy bit, the colour was hard bit, for me it was blue or red, after choosing blue, I nearly changed my mind a week later .

Seen too many dirty white tesla's around me.
I didnt want white either, the compromise was that ordering another colour would arrive faster...Dastardly tactic....

However, the free white is a pearl white, does that mean its metallic (or slightly better than a solid) like the solid black
Also, why not spend some time to (self) wax the car, surely that will help it stay fresh for 1-3 months ago?

For us the colour was easy. Blue was the only one we both agreed on.
Both of us hate white ones. I love blue and red. Really really like red. My other half liked blue and grey.
Blue it is. Our current Mini is a very similar shade of blue. Perhaps a little bit darker.

For us the colour was easy. Blue was the only one we both agreed on.
Both of us hate white ones. I love blue and red. Really really like red. My other half liked blue and grey.
Blue it is. Our current Mini is a very similar shade of blue. Perhaps a little bit darker.
Lots of blue in Cambridge - Red is the way to go if you want to stand out sadly! White isn't too bad either :)

Last edited:
I didnt want white either, the compromise was that ordering another colour would arrive faster...Dastardly tactic....

However, the free white is a pearl white, does that mean its metallic (or slightly better than a solid) like the solid black
Also, why not spend some time to (self) wax the car, surely that will help it stay fresh for 1-3 months ago?
Not everyone knows these things I guess and also the act of self waxing isn't for 'not into car' people.

Please quote from my post on that point! .... no, I'll do it for you "Did you check it wasn't locked in "chill" by the hire company? In normal circumstances an SR+ is more than lively .. even if not as quick as the LR." ... where in there is there the slightest suggestion that the SR+ is as quick as a dual motor? Apology requested ;)
Am I completely misreading th
Please quote from my post on that point! .... no, I'll do it for you "Did you check it wasn't locked in "chill" by the hire company? In normal circumstances an SR+ is more than lively .. even if not as quick as the LR." ... where in there is there the slightest suggestion that the SR+ is as quick as a dual motor? Apology requested ;)
fair enough, apology extended. I misread your quote “an SR+ is more than lively .. even if not as quick as the LR.” If you skip the the word EVEN you can see how that could sound like the Sr+ is as fast as a LR. #readingcomprehension lol. My bad mate

fair enough, apology extended. I misread your quote “an SR+ is more than lively .. even if not as quick as the LR.” If you skip the the word EVEN you can see how that could sound like the Sr+ is as fast as a LR. #readingcomprehension lol. My bad mate
I'm getting over it now ! ;) ... hey, but you were always right the SR+ isn't as quick as the LR ... we were always in agreement on that 🙂

Reactions: Spuzzz
Hi all

So I have a M3LR on order, delivery due June/July. I wasn't entirely convinced of my SR vs LR decision as the only car I was allowed to test drive was a LR.
So I found a company you can hire on a daily basis and it was quite conveniently very close to where I work. I hired a M3 for three days and these are my impressions

* Seats are surprisingly slightly uncomfortable. I can't quite figure out what the best position to adjust the seat at is.. too many adjustments are possible !!

* Cruise control is absolutely amazing. Autosteer is still a bit dangerous in my opinion.. maybe OK for motorway but not for single carriage ways and B roads.

Now.. SR specific..

* Audio is completely rubbish. Very glad I went for the LR premium audio

* Slightly more boring to drive than the LR I test drove

* Heat pump is noisy when supercharging.

Finally an observation.. this company, UFOdrive, controls the car with their own app. Not sure why but whenever the car is in PARK and unlock, the car is all over the place. it keeps trying to unlock the doors, sounding the unlocking beeps and flashing the lights. Definitely a bug!

Funny story.. supercharge use is included in the rental, but apparently UFO drive has now an expired credit card in their tesla account- I was able to supercharge on my first day but yesterday and today, nah - I can't. A bit rubbish if you ask me..
Ha! UFOdrive! Don't get me started! (I'm a self starter)

So, I'm still undecided as to completing my MY order or going for a used S75D. I have test driven both an M3 and an MY.
Despite my large 6'4" frame, I found M3 quite good and the Y excellent. However, I still harbour deep feelings for the MS. I have only sat in one for a few minutes and whilst it seemed snug, I was pleasantly surprised. So, a drive is a must.

Enter UFOdrive. 48 hours with a rented S should have the dithering sorted for good.
After several attempts to get a suitable quality upload of a bunch of required documents, including a selfie, I was informed that their insurance excludes the over 70s.

Now, I don't know if any members here are decrepit or would even admit to having 70 years in the rear view, but I find this outrageous. Thanks to my nearly 30 years no claims bonus, Admiral, who currently cover my BMW, are happy to provide cover for an S from £891.80.

I have just received a reply from TeslaRents in the USA: "No upper age limit Sir! You can rent to your hearts content." I will continue with my straw poll.

Why not check out UFOdrives video; very cool "disrupters" changing the way ....blah blah - Elon they are not! But they have, you might have noticed, disrupted my Sunday big time. She who must be obeyed thinks they deserve a slap. She loves the S and may leave me for a shorter man with a Ludicrous! Oh Missus!

Still, the first GP of the season (CH4 Highlights at 1930 [not my year of birth]) will sort me out; I can get back to despising Mr Horner!

Have a good evening.

I still harbour deep feelings for the MS. I have only sat in one for a few minutes and whilst it seemed snug

I prefer the MS for longer journeys. It goes like a rocket in a straight line, wallows on the bends. I find it very comfortable on long journeys (e.g. UK to the Alps). M3 is like a hot hatch, very tight. MY lacks that precision

Unless you want to corner on two wheels, like you did 50 years ago :), the MS might be better.

Its a big car (tight spirals in multi-storeys, narrow country lanes, width restriction bollards and parking in general). its very low to get in and out of; my 80's relation prefers MY, happy with M3 but the MS he finds somewhat difficult.

If you are going "long distance" you might want to try ABetterRoutePlanner to see how much difference the MS75 and M3/MY LR (or M3 SR+) would make. (You can choose car model, and then Start/End of journey, and any waypoints, and it will calculate where you will need to stop to charge; makes it easy to compared Brands / Models.)

Basically you need, say, 30 miles contingency, and you will ideally only Supercharge to 70-80%. For a drive-charge-drive-charge the charges will only be 60%-ish of max real-world Motorway range.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Never mind autopilot - I'd pay money for a 'don't scrape your alloys in a multistorey car park' option. Find myself driving with the rear cameras on but doesn't help for the front corners. Loved my BMWs 'surround view' for that.
I’ve been waiting patiently for surround view...in fact I even paid for it already (sort of..)...the talk in the press (when I bought the car) was that surround view will ‘soon’ be offered as part of the FSD upgrade....so I bought the upgrade...and I’m still waiting..

Reactions: Mrklaw
M3P was never an option. My hesitation was between the RWD and LR versions.
In fact my test drive was in a M3 S++ and I bought a M3LR just like you...and you will love it😜😘
On the test drive, I found the M3 S++ (which would have been the LFP on delivery) to be excellent...fast and good value (especially with the maximum Government subsidy)...it’s a technological tour de force in a smart looking package (and the sales staff were pushing me to get that because it’s such value for money). And given the choice I would have opted for the LFP...a much better battery for the penalty of extra weight.