Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

His and Hers Tesla's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.

Has anyone ever tried/thought instead of buying 2 Model 3s to try the world of being a one vehicle Family and buy the Model Y or .. possibly X?

Sharing a vehicle seems stressful but the model up would be so enjoyable.

Thank you!

We only had 2 cars briefly when we had toddlers (maybe for 3 years) living country sidish. Only had one car otherwise. Renting a second car when needed is both cheaper and more convenient. Need a pickup? Rent a pickup. Need a van? Rent a van. Etc. Depending on where you live, owing zero cars can be inconvenient though.

My wife and I had two cars for a long time, but when we got to drive a Model Y we sold our 2013 Model S and hybrid SUV and got the Model Y. The Model Y meets all our needs, is AWD, higher and easier to get into, longer range, tows our utility trailer (our "pickup truck") and our small sailboat and travel trailer. We're saving hundred of dollars a month in insurance, fuel, and registration fees. EV grin!

Reactions: dduffey and SO16
Two model 3s are in budget (~80k depending on model) but an extra ~$10k for 3+Y is not?

In regards to one vs two or 3 vs Y/X I think that depends on the size of your family, your work/commute, activities, and lifestyle.

We are a family of four, two vehicle family. Had a Sienna+Model 3. When Covid hit (and kids older) we sold the Sienna and we're down to the 3 for most of 2020. Now vaccinated and starting to get out again we picked up the 7 seater Y and back to two vehicles in anticipation of workplaces opening back up and lots of swim/gymnastics/etc.

Last edited:
We are a retired couple who have a Signature Model X and a LR Model 3. Love both cars but use the Model3 on road trips as it has extended range. Just completed a 4k driving trip in the western US. We have owned an EV since 2011 with the first Leaf, went to the ModelX and then now the 3.

My wife and I had two cars for a long time, but when we got to drive a Model Y we sold our 2013 Model S and hybrid SUV and got the Model Y. The Model Y meets all our needs, is AWD, higher and easier to get into, longer range, tows our utility trailer (our "pickup truck") and our small sailboat and travel trailer. We're saving hundred of dollars a month in insurance, fuel, and registration fees. EV grin!

We are experiencing flash floods in Texas. Yesterday I moved our 3000lbs 26ft camper with our Y through a muddy field and was amazed at the capability of the AWD Y. I was holding out for the elusive LR RWD, but after yesterday I think I will stick with AWD in the future.

I guess this depends on how "together" you always are, and the walkability of where you live, etc.

Where I am, in Southern California, its generally accepted that you drive to get around, if you can. In other places ( even NorCal) the public transportation system is better than SoCal. I live in a suburban city, and the "walk score" of where I live is in the single digits. You basically must have a vehicle here to accomplish even basic things like getting groceries.

( Find Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Get Your Walk Score )

So, if one can afford it here, each adult that has a need to leave the home and accomplish tasks (even basic ones like shopping) has a vehicle. If one is retired and always goes places together, I guess that would work. In my past I have had 1 vehicle for my wife and I but that was because of necessity (we couldnt afford 2 vehicles way back then).

This is highly highly dependent on your specific circumstance, so other than as a thought experiment, I dont see how other people on the internets experience is relevant to the OP here.

Thank you everyone. Lots to think about. Where we live in B.C we receive 8k in EV rebates for the model 3 making the jump to a Y a bigger decision. Wife doesnt seems impressed to upgrade to a one vehicle family. Better stick with the deuce vehicles..