Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hissing sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife just got a 2013 Model S 60 from Tesla and noticed that when parked after using the AC there is a hissing sound from the left or middle front of the car. No sound when parked after not having the AC on. Any ideas. Since this is a previous owner car checked out by Tesla any problem would have been addressed.

My wife just got a 2013 Model S 60 from Tesla and noticed that when parked after using the AC there is a hissing sound from the left or middle front of the car. No sound when parked after not having the AC on. Any ideas. Since this is a previous owner car checked out by Tesla any problem would have been addressed.

That is just the pressure equalizing in the AC system. Perfectly normal and no cause for alarm.

Sounds on Tesla's are weird. I am not one of the people that say you hear all this stuff on a Tesla because it lacks an engine that masks all of these little, or not so little sounds. Do your best to meet up with other Tesla owners in person and listen to their cars.

I heard several noises on my CPO that I thought were off, or too loud for any car. I visited a friend who had one that was silent in comparison, so I took it to service, and 5 days latter they had fixed the rear hatch mechanism, solved all air buffeting sounds, removed most of the interior panels and re-glued or taped down wires and harnesses that had come loose.

The car was completely different, and better in every way except for noisy air-ratcheting sound. I complained, nicely, about it and they replaced my brake booster pump. Now, it is silent other than road and wind noise - both that I have experienced in two other Tesla's.

It's your car. If it bugs you or your wife, I would take it in and ask nicely to have them listen to it. My service advisor went on a 20 minute drive with me and really fought to make the car quieter for me.

Last edited: