Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hissy fit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pixie had a mini meltdown a couple days ago when stopped for a red light. I don’t usually use AP in town, but every now and then I like to see what she can do. We were 3-4 cars back from a red light on a single lane road, but there was a left turn lane, so where we stopped was very wide (but not yet the 2 lanes). As we glided to a stop, the steering was hunting badly between “centering” and “lane following.” But stop we did, nicely behind through traffic, and awaited the light change.

Then, all of a sudden, pixie panicked. “Take control immediately “ she shouted, in red letters . “Autopilot unavailable “ she said. The hazards came on and she put us into Park.

I felt this to be a bit of an overreaction. But overreaction to what? I can’t figure.

Well that's interesting.
I've had AP1 freak out while sitting in stop-and-go traffic before. My car was just inching along with the rest of the cars, when suddenly AP decided it didn't like something, threw an error, and was unusable the rest of the trip.
That's probably because you took your hands off the wheel long enough and didn't notice the nag and ignored it. You will be prevented from using AP until you stop the car and start again. And sometimes it is nasty enough to make you wait a minute after stopping the car and turning off. I am guessing you know this? Another reason?

That's probably because you took your hands off the wheel long enough and didn't notice the nag and ignored it. You will be prevented from using AP until you stop the car and start again. And sometimes it is nasty enough to make you wait a minute after stopping the car and turning off. I am guessing you know this? Another reason?
Nope, I had my hands on the wheel the whole time. Either the radar or the camera went out because it wasn't able to show cars on the screen anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert