Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Historical Timeline for Autopilot and FSD development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a timeline anywhere that goes over Tesla's development efforts for autopilot and full self-driving? For example, I am interested in seeing the various iterations of autopilot and full self-driving releases and associated features, setbacks, FSD early access implementation, etc. bringing us to the present date. A bonus would be to have an overlay with quotes from Elon Musk and Tesla leadership during quarterly earnings calls regarding their expectations for when certain elements of autopilot and full self-driving would become available and times when they had to walk back those statements. Thank you in advance.

Bing ChatGTP

Here is a brief summary of Tesla's self-driving aspirations based on web sources¹²³⁴:

- In 2013, Elon Musk announced that Tesla would develop an autopilot system that would allow drivers to hand over control of their cars to a computer.

- In 2014, Tesla hired several engineers from Google's self-driving car project and partnered with Mobileye, a supplier of camera-based driver assistance systems.

- In 2015, Tesla released its first version of Autopilot, which enabled features such as adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and automatic parking. However, it also warned drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road at all times.

- In 2016, Tesla faced its first fatal crash involving Autopilot when a Model S collided with a tractor-trailer in Florida. The company also ended its relationship with Mobileye over disagreements on how to handle safety issues. Tesla then announced that it would build its own vision system using eight cameras and a radar sensor around each car.

- In 2017, Tesla introduced Enhanced Autopilot, which added features such as automatic lane changes, traffic-aware cruise control, and summon. It also started offering Full Self-Driving Capability (FSD) as an option for customers who wanted to access future autonomous features. However, FSD was not yet available and its timeline was unclear.

- In 2018, Tesla released its own custom chip designed for self-driving applications. It claimed that this chip was 21 times faster than the previous Nvidia hardware it used. It also said that all new cars would come with this chip installed and that older cars could be retrofitted for free if they had purchased FSD.

- In 2019, Tesla rolled out Navigate on Autopilot, which allowed drivers to use Autopilot on highways with interchanges. It also launched Smart Summon, which let drivers remotely call their cars from parking lots. However, both features received mixed reviews from users and regulators due to safety concerns and glitches.

- In 2020, Tesla began beta-testing FSD with a select group of customers. It claimed that FSD would enable features such as automatic driving on city streets, traffic light and stop sign recognition, and roundabout navigation. However, it also cautioned that FSD was still in development and required constant supervision by drivers.

- In 2021 Tesla launched its Full Self-Driving subscription package for $199 per month⁵⁶, which allowed customers to access FSD features without paying a lump sum upfront. However, Tesla also faced several challenges and controversies over its self-driving claims. For example:

- Tesla privately acknowledged to California regulators that it was unlikely to offer technology that can drive in any situation on its own by the end of 2021¹.

- Tesla was under investigation by the federal traffic safety agency over several crashes involving Autopilot and FSD³.

- Tesla recalled almost 363,000 cars due to concerns about its FSD Beta software, which could cause vehicles to exceed speed limits or run stop signs²⁴.

• Informative
Reactions: DanCar and Dewg
Just for GTPChat kicks here is more details on 2018.

In 2018, Tesla did several things for its full self-driving and autopilot program, such as:

- It released Navigate on Autopilot, which allowed vehicles to automatically drive and navigate from freeway on-ramp to exit¹³.
- It faced a lawsuit from drivers who claimed that Tesla falsely advertised Autopilot and FSD as safer and more capable than they actually were².
- It sold FSD as an option for customers who wanted to access future autonomous features. However, FSD was still not available and its price increased over time⁴⁶.
- It improved Autopilot's safety features by adding blind spot monitoring, lane departure avoidance, emergency lane departure avoidance, and obstacle-aware acceleration⁵.

Do you want to know more about any of these events?

Just for GTPChat kicks here is more details on 2018.

In 2018, Tesla did several things for its full self-driving and autopilot program, such as:

- It released Navigate on Autopilot, which allowed vehicles to automatically drive and navigate from freeway on-ramp to exit¹³.
- It faced a lawsuit from drivers who claimed that Tesla falsely advertised Autopilot and FSD as safer and more capable than they actually were².
- It sold FSD as an option for customers who wanted to access future autonomous features. However, FSD was still not available and its price increased over time⁴⁶.
- It improved Autopilot's safety features by adding blind spot monitoring, lane departure avoidance, emergency lane departure avoidance, and obstacle-aware acceleration⁵.

Do you want to know more about any of these events?

Thank you. Does this information come from Chat GPT or a different platform? Where do the citation references come from? I don't see those when I ping the chat GPT bot.

I used Bing iOS App. Here is the references. Luckily I use an App on my Mac that saves my Clipboards.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 2/26/2023
(1) Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package ... - Electrek. Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package for $199 per month Accessed 2/26/2023.

(2) Tesla Full Self Driving subscriptions are now available for $199 a .... Tesla Full Self Driving subscriptions are now available for $199 a month Accessed 2/26/2023.

(3) Tesla Sells ‘Full Self-Driving,’ but What Is It Really?. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/technology/tesla-full-self-driving-fsd.html Accessed 2/26/2023.

(4) Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ mode lets cars speed, run stop signs, cause crashes: feds. Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ mode lets cars speed, run stop signs, cause crashes: feds Accessed 2/26/2023.

(5) Tesla Recall Hits Nearly 363,000 Cars With “Full Self-Driving” Software. Tesla Recall Hits Nearly 363,000 Cars With “Full Self-Driving” Software Accessed 2/26/2023.

(6) Tesla recalling 363K cars with self-driving beta software due to ‘crash risk’. Tesla recalling 363K cars with self-driving beta software due to ‘crash risk’ Accessed 2/26/2023.

(1) Tesla Autopilot – What Does It Do and How Does it Work?. Tesla Autopilot - What Does It Do and How Does it Work? - AutoPilot Review Accessed 2/26/2023.

(2) How to use Tesla Autopilot: let your car take the strain. How to use Tesla Autopilot: let your car take the strain Accessed 2/26/2023.

(3) Drivers sue Tesla for alleged false advertising of Autopilot and FSD .... Drivers sue Tesla for alleged false advertising of Autopilot and FSD software Accessed 2/26/2023.

(4) 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD, Only 6,129 miles. 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD, Only 6,129 miles Accessed 2/26/2023.

(5) What is Tesla Autopilot? Everything you need to know. What is Tesla Autopilot? Everything you need to know Accessed 2/26/2023.

(6) Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support. Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support Accessed 2/26/2023.

Some of the timelines reported above by aren't correct. For example, HW3 went into production in early 2019 (April I think), not 2018. There were conflicting dates for the release of Navigate on Autopilot, I believe 2018 is correct.

If you're interested in the timeline for hardware developments related to AP/FSD, see this TeslaTap article: Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

I used Bing iOS App. Here is the references. Luckily I use an App on my Mac that saves my Clipboards.

(1) Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package ... - Electrek. Tesla launches its Full Self-Driving subscription package for $199 per month Accessed 2/26/2023.

(2) Tesla Full Self Driving subscriptions are now available for $199 a .... Tesla Full Self Driving subscriptions are now available for $199 a month Accessed 2/26/2023.

(3) Tesla Sells ‘Full Self-Driving,’ but What Is It Really?. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/20/technology/tesla-full-self-driving-fsd.html Accessed 2/26/2023.

(4) Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ mode lets cars speed, run stop signs, cause crashes: feds. Tesla’s ‘Full Self-Driving’ mode lets cars speed, run stop signs, cause crashes: feds Accessed 2/26/2023.

(5) Tesla Recall Hits Nearly 363,000 Cars With “Full Self-Driving” Software. Tesla Recall Hits Nearly 363,000 Cars With “Full Self-Driving” Software Accessed 2/26/2023.

(6) Tesla recalling 363K cars with self-driving beta software due to ‘crash risk’. Tesla recalling 363K cars with self-driving beta software due to ‘crash risk’ Accessed 2/26/2023.

(1) Tesla Autopilot – What Does It Do and How Does it Work?. Tesla Autopilot - What Does It Do and How Does it Work? - AutoPilot Review Accessed 2/26/2023.

(2) How to use Tesla Autopilot: let your car take the strain. How to use Tesla Autopilot: let your car take the strain Accessed 2/26/2023.

(3) Drivers sue Tesla for alleged false advertising of Autopilot and FSD .... Drivers sue Tesla for alleged false advertising of Autopilot and FSD software Accessed 2/26/2023.

(4) 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD, Only 6,129 miles. 2018 Tesla Model 3 Long Range RWD with FSD, Only 6,129 miles Accessed 2/26/2023.

(5) What is Tesla Autopilot? Everything you need to know. What is Tesla Autopilot? Everything you need to know Accessed 2/26/2023.

(6) Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support. Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability | Tesla Support Accessed 2/26/2023.
That's pretty cool the Bing app does. I guess it's some sort of app integration between Bing and Chat GPT that allows for the citations to be included in the response query?