Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Historically, do deposits at the event get you a car (truck) quicker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a million places I could ask this question. Not sure which place would get me an answer so Ill try here.

I am lucky enough to have the +1 spot from a friend. I have a fear of flying but I just bought my ticket from NY to LA. (Still not sure how I will survive it but I am going to try)

Anyway, I have been wanting a tesla truck for years. I am planning on putting a deposit down as soon as Elon will take my money. Question is, historically, do event attendees get their car any faster than someone who didnt attend the event and placed a deposit down later?

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
Technically, yes. Reservations are fulfilled in the order they are taken. That being said, they typically build the most profitable versions first. So just like Model 3, if you want the $50k version, you will be waiting a while, even if you sign up the night of the reveal.

They also typically open up online reg at the same time as the reveal so one could argue that you have a better shot at getting in early sitting at home in front of a computer vs trying to do it on your phone at the reveal.

All that to say, enjoy the event! Once they crank up production it will happen fast, depending on the configuration you want.

They also typically open up online reg at the same time as the reveal so one could argue that you have a better shot at getting in early sitting at home in front of a computer vs trying to do it on your phone at the reveal.

This. For the Model 3 reveal in 2016, the ordering page leaked out hours ahead of the actual reveal. And while I was at the event, and did order one there, the dozen or so ordering terminals they had set up were all just web browsers pointing to the same ordering web page that everyone else had access to for hours prior. So I thought maybe they would match up reveal attendees to the orders for the first set of invites, but in the end, it didn't matter at all. As mentioned above, they started with the top of the list and in geographic proximity to the factory. I'm on the east coast so I eventually got my invite pretty early, but being at the event had nothing to do with it.

This. For the Model 3 reveal in 2016, the ordering page leaked out hours ahead of the actual reveal. And while I was at the event, and did order one there, the dozen or so ordering terminals they had set up were all just web browsers pointing to the same ordering web page that everyone else had access to for hours prior. So I thought maybe they would match up reveal attendees to the orders for the first set of invites, but in the end, it didn't matter at all. As mentioned above, they started with the top of the list and in geographic proximity to the factory. I'm on the east coast so I eventually got my invite pretty early, but being at the event had nothing to do with it.
Great info. Bummer though. I’m terrified to fly but I was hoping an early truck would be in my future.

Great info. Bummer though. I’m terrified to fly but I was hoping an early truck would be in my future.

Well just make a reservation as early as possible then... or just have your wife or friend sit online and ready to order when the ordering page goes live. It may be something like: http://cybrtrk.tesla.com/

The order does matter, and maybe the west-coast/east-coast thing won't happen this time. But you can bet they will sell the most expensive version(s) first.

I placed my reservation for model 3 on March 17, 2016 (my daughter was working at tesla at that time, and was able to reserve model 3, 2 weeks before the event) I owned a model S since 2013. The final delivery was on April 4, 2019. After 1112 days, or 3 years and 14 days.
But, it became a unique one.:cool:
20190403_125620.jpg 20190403_141043.jpg

The whole Model 3 reservation process was a debacle in my opinion. Sone people who were day 1 line waiters ended up getting their cars after non reservation holders. It worked out that for some, it didn’t matter if you placed an early reservation or not. And then the price changes. About 6 months or so after I got mine, the price of the P3 came down to almost what I paid for my LR AWD. So, lessons learned, for me anyway, I won’t be so quick to plunk down a deposit the next time.

The whole Model 3 reservation process was a debacle in my opinion. Sone people who were day 1 line waiters ended up getting their cars after non reservation holders. It worked out that for some, it didn’t matter if you placed an early reservation or not. And then the price changes. About 6 months or so after I got mine, the price of the P3 came down to almost what I paid for my LR AWD. So, lessons learned, for me anyway, I won’t be so quick to plunk down a deposit the next time.
True. I hope they learn for this launch.