Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History and Future of the Electric Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree (although I suspect other things may have changed with mass as well to yield the provided result).
However, for now, I believe the goal should be to get everyone over to electric cars, regardless of efficiency.
Unfortunately, the paper provided appears to focus on easily measured parameters (mass) and misses the harder ones (eg. Velocity, Cd, and frontal area). It seems that they're overanalyzing extremely slow speed vehicles that they can probably procure cheaply from China and measure with a scale but they completely miss what well-engineered, practical systems can accomplish. It is all too typical of narrow-minded academic research that we all too often see today in that it provides easy math to impress the professor but the conclusion misses so much and doesn't help anyone.
At such unrealistically slow speeds, of course mass dominates.
If one looks at energy consumption and CO2 and other emissions, one finds that but a small amount of them come from low-speed transportation. A more useful study would attack the large users and producers, not irrelevant ones. That might help us to actually save the planet instead of just winning research grants.
EVs are great. Even the most inefficient EV* uses less energy and produces fewer emissions than the best ICE using renewables and are at worst, about the same with the worst form of electricity generation. Sure, we can tweak things going forward but if the aero shape of the EV is the only turnoff for some (rain drip, visibility, towing, car-top hauling, general aesthetics, etc) I hope someone starts making inefficient EVs if that's what it takes to get them out of their ICE.
Huh? An EV's higher purchase price in a country where gasoline prices are 50-70% lower than they are in the EU
and a lack of charging infrastructure are already big enough hurdles to selling more electric cars without subsidies.

Btw, I made mention to the German authors that I brought their article to the attention of the Tesla forum.
It will sharpen up or help to update their findings.

I saw this picture on twitter of an EV meeting.
The Big Question on a lot of people's lips is:
What comes after Tesla?
How may a Next-Gen EV look and work like?

AvHyvUv1NzIY5keZNyJJbDocc9OO3g_v78QyUwO1gzyDuRr5EF54iDct9dyocCxnj6acQAj38Sss7uSypCdkZbYTm0Zd9VnC12SU498CgtgeLA3rqlgRY0DSw99ptUshz4Dl_DLp=s0

I saw this picture on twitter of an EV meeting.
The Big Question on a lot of people's lips is:
What comes after Tesla?
How may a Next-Gen EV look and work like?

AvHyvUv1NzIY5keZNyJJbDocc9OO3g_v78QyUwO1gzyDuRr5EF54iDct9dyocCxnj6acQAj38Sss7uSypCdkZbYTm0Zd9VnC12SU498CgtgeLA3rqlgRY0DSw99ptUshz4Dl_DLp=s0
Yep, All of the self-proclaimed experts who 100% misses the boat on the last disruption are trying to figure out what the next one will be.
Hint: Tesla did not come out of a forum of experts pontificating on how to disrupt things. It came from a long string of visionaries (Paul MacCready, Alec Brooks, Roger Smith, Alan Cocconi, Martin Eberhard/Marc Tarpenning, Elon Musk - along with a host of lesser supporting participants and assistants such as early Tesla Roadster owners), each of whom added a little on top of the previous until the a breakthrough of the right attitudes, market, and funding lined up to create Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr and voyager