Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hockeythug

Jun 3, 2013
Minnesota
Appears Dec 15th or 16th for RTF. Static fire next week. Launch window of 9:54pm(EST) - 12:54am(EST).

OCOMM2 PATCH.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Do you know if the landing is potentially viewable? Am considering making plans to take my family to see the historic moment.

Add:
I found another site conformation of December 19th launch date:

Rocket Launch Viewing at Cape Canaveral: Where Falcon 9 Launches

Details of where to view the launch are forth coming on the link...

SpaceX's landing site is at Launch Complex 13 which is south east of Complex 40. I'm sure you will be able to see the stage light up again coming down. Should be a very cool sight.

Congratulations. Me = Jealous :wink:
Will be sure to post mad pics and video....least I could do. Told my kids this morning and it was like an early Christmas. 13 & 10 and went to Space Camp this summer. Older one wants to be an engineer, younger one want to fly rockets. Got the bug bad. Been to lunch with astronauts a few times at KSC...worth the $. If we can see the first landing - money.

Sorry, Bgarret, am personally rooting for the launch to end up being delayed by a week. :) Will be landing in Orlando late on Christmas Day and was hoping to catch a SpaceX launch.
Very much understand. Scheduled to go to the Keys on Saturday, but if the launch was pushed back, would consider staying. Love the idea of a night launch and landing. We shall see.

SpaceX Preparing for Launch of “Significantly Improved” Falcon 9 -

"The launch is also the first for an upgraded version of the Falcon 9. “There are a number of improvements in the rocket,” Musk said in a Dec. 15 talk at the Fall Meeting of the American Geophysical Union (AGU) in San Francisco. The changes he mentioned included increased thrust, an improved stage separation system, and a stretched upper stage that can hold additional propellant. “I think it’s a significantly improved rocket from the last one - See more at: http://spacenews.com/spacex-preparing-for-launch-of-significantly-improved-falcon-9/#sthash.iVmR9cnZ.dpuf"

http://spacenews.com/spacex-preparing-for-launch-of-significantly-improved-falcon-9/

Static Fire test has been repeatedly pushed back due to challenges with this first use of the deep cryo liquid oxygen system. Current launch window is Dec 20 20:02-23:02. Of course that will only happen if the static fire is successful today.

SpaceX continues to attempt Falcon 9 Static Fire ahead of OG2 RTF mission | NASASpaceFlight.com

The article mentions a Twitter dig by ULA VP Sowers. "That’s why we (ULA) don’t bother. Lots of complexity for little gain. Tough to know the conditions of LOX at liftoff."