Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did I miss the explanation of why they even tried to land on the barge in the water the previous times? Landing on land seems to make much more sense.

Couple of quotes on the subject, EM

SafeLaunch.JPG

ProbLanding.JPG

Landing.JPG

Here is a full transcript

Last edited:
Did I miss the explanation of why they even tried to land on the barge in the water the previous times? Landing on land seems to make much more sense.

I believe that there were safety concerns before additional modifications were made to the first stage this time around (to allow for the better control during the landing and less of a chance to tip over after it). I would not want this thing propulsion land in my backyard by mistake :smile:

Watching this event live with my family was the most exciting thing ever! Wow, just wow!

----------------------UPDATE---------------------
Auzie beat me to the safety aspect, and with the quotes! Thank you!

A friend texted me and I got to watch it happen - so awesome! I was shocked they were trying it on land having never been successful on the barge - guess they knew what they were doing! Fantastic!

I can't believe CNN and the other networks missed this. Shame on them.

WOOHOO!!!Picture perfect first stage landing and satellite deployment. I got goose bumps watching that first stage landing. I was yelling out loud it was so exciting. Watched it with my wife and parents on our iPads. The future is here, and we are living in it.
Greatest Xmas present Elon has ever had, I think. And it was thrilling to see the SpaceX employees so excited.

I sincerely believe that today's successful first stage landing will prove to be as significant to the history of human space exploration as the moon landing, because it will dramatically lower the cost of putting payloads in orbit and make space far more accessible for a variety of endeavors.
It was thrilling to watch that first stage landing. I saw it live, and I just watched it again!

Reactions: 1 person
WOOHOO!!!Picture perfect first stage landing and satellite deployment. I got goose bumps watching that first stage landing. I was yelling out loud it was so exciting. Watched it with my wife and parents on our iPads.

I had it on the big screen in the living room. I was jumping up and down screaming. The neighbors were probably wondering what all the noise was about.

Btw, given the responses, this is pretty funny: Jeff Bezos on Twitter: