Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History of Referral Program Rewards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One thing leads to another... Researching Model X wheel & tire sets led me to Tesla's Referral Program, apparently a source for much joy and, equally, much ire. I simply wanted to know: What was offered as a reward, and when? For obvious reasons, Tesla is probably loath to now reveal all the goodies it used to give away (as part of a presumably very cost-effective non-advertising advertising campaign). Nonetheless, I was able to find good (partial/dated) lists and piece together the following list.

As always, I'd appreciate knowledgeable input by people who were actually there. (Sources if possible, please.)

History of Selected Tesla Automotive Referral Program Rewards​

Key

21" wheel-set .................... 21-inch Model S performance Black Arachnid wheels and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires (other brands possible?)
22" wheel-set .................... 22-inch Model X performance Obsidian Black Turbine wheels and Pirelli Scorpion tires
"Signature" HPWC ........... Generation 2 High Power Wall Connector with special matte-black face plate and "Elon" (Musk's signature) etched on it
unveiling .............................. one of a number of special Tesla events to commemorate introduction of a major product

-- Refer to sources for more details about (sometimes confusing) program rules, exclusions, and referral award items. --​

Phase​
Starting
Date​
Ending
Date​
# of Referrals
Required​
Rewards​
Source****
July 8, 2023​
?​
● greatly increased credits for Models 3/Y sales referrals
● Enhanced Autopilot and FSD removed as referral rewards
● new limit on the number of referrals per year
June 2023​
June 30, 2023​
● greatly increased credits for Models S/X sales referrals
October/November
2022​
● "Loot Box" credits via the Tesla Phone App​
September 18, 2021​
10*​
March 21, 2019​
September 17, 2021​
1​
● 1,000-5,000 free-Supercharger miles​
9G*​
December 24, 2018​
February 1, 2019​

-
5​
● photo launched into space​
● "signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
● software update priority
● invitation to an unveiling
9F*​
September 19, 2018​
December 23, 2018​

5​
● photo launched into space
● "signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
● software update priority
9E*​
August 1, 2018​
September 18, 2018​
1 or 2

-
● "Signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● early access to solar roof
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
● invitation to an unveiling, or
---Founders Series Powerwall
9D​
May 19, 2018​
July 15, 2018​
1 or 2

5​
-
● free Supercharging,
---"Signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
---Founders Series Powerwall
9C​
February 1, 2018​
April 30, 2018​
1 or 2

● "Signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
● Founders Series Powerwall
---early access to solar roof
9B​
May 18, 2017​
February 1, 2018​
1 or 2
-
-
-
10+
**​
● "Signature" HPWC, or
---Model S for kids
● 21"/22" wheel-set, or
---1-week Model S/X test
---early access to solar roof
● 10% off new Roadster***
---
9A​
May 19, 2017​
September 28, 2017​
10+​
● Model S for kids​
● 21"/22" wheel-set
● Founders series Powerwall
● Semi Truck unveiling
● 10% off new Roadster***
January 15, 2017​
December 31, 2017​
>14​
Annual Overlay Awards Program​
8​
March 16, 2017​
June 15, 2017​
1+
2+
3+
5+
7+​
● Nevada Gigafactory tour​
● Tesla rolling carry-on
● Model S for kids
● Model 3 event
7​
January 16, 2017​
March 15, 2017​
2+
3+_
5+
7+​
● Tesla carry-on
● Model S for kids
● Founder Series Powerwall
● Model S delivery event
6​
October 16, 2016​
January 15, 2017​
2+
3+
5+
5+
10​
● Tesla carry-on
● Tesla owner's jacket
● VIP tour of Fremont factory
● Founder Series Powerwall
5​
July 18, 2016​
October 15, 2016​
10​
● Tesla leather Moab Weekender duffel bag
● Tesla owner's jacket
● 21"/22" wheel-set
● solar roof unveiling
4​
May 30, 2016​
July 15, 2016​
2+
3+
4+
5​
● Tesla leather Moab Weekender duffel bag
● Tesla owner's jacket
● Nevada Gigafactory tour
● 21"/22" wheel-set
3​
February 16, 2016​
April 15, 2016​
5 random referrers​
● tour of SpaceX
2​
November 1, 2015​
December 31, 2015​
first 10/region​
● Nevada Gigafactory invitation
● Model 3 unveiling
● Tesla Powerwall
1​
July 29, 2015​
October 31, 2015​
-
10​
● $1,000 discount
● Tesla Powerwall, or
---Nevada Gigafactory opening
● Model X discount
_____
* ---My designations (not official).
**-- Some phases offered additional solar-related incentives.
***- I read that a number (80!) of (lucky, hard-working) people managed to refer 10 or more customers, and hence are apparently owed a free Roadster. Clearly, they
-----are still waiting. Allegedly, this has caused some consternation within Tesla. One reason the Roadster has been delayed and the original Referral Program killed?
**** Additional extremely helpful sources include:

Comments:
  • Because of "overlays" and partial overlays, various rules and regulations (some internal within Tesla and some external [applying to particular states or regions]), plus additional rewards/benefits not listed above, the Referral Program could apparently be more complicated than it seems in the Table above. Refer to the sources listed in the Table and its footnotes for more details.

• My impression had been that the NEPA 14-50 Wall Connector (circa 2018-2019) was possibly used as a a referral award. Can anyone confirm this? Regardless, I haven't seen it listed so far by Referral Program sources.
    -
  • Likewise, possibly, with other items like the Gen 2 J1772 HPWC and Models S/X Sonic Carbon wheels. In general, were any other products ever offered as referral awards (possibly as substitutes in place of those items listed above)? Please let us know.

• The brilliance of Elon Musk-led Tesla was to recognize/anticipate what today's car customers needed/wanted, and to craft a car-company paradigm accordingly. (An unrelated but apt analogy might be the modern Marvel Studios (from 2008 onward). Who knew that there was a world of young adult ex- or still practicing nerds out there secretly clamoring for good comic-book-related films? Well, apparently Kevin Feige and Jon Favreau did.)
    -
    But back to Tesla... Somehow (perhaps on the heels of the GM EV1 debacle of the '90s?) Elon Musk knew that there was a world of potential buyers for George Jetson-style high-tech electric cars; i.e., Baby-Boomer and Gen X consumers who were disgusted with the yearly Madison Avenue advertising and high-pressure car-lot salesmanship originating in Detroit (and that is still ongoing). And he was right. Maybe before consumers themselves knew.

• Judging by the pattern revealed in the table above, someone at Tesla headquarters was very busy--from 2016 to 2018, especially--dreaming up low-cost but effective rewards for word-of-mouth advertising, that apparently grew and grew and grew. Ask yourself: where did you first learn about Tesla? I'm betting it wasn't from some multi-million-dollar, Don Draper ad campaign, that's for sure.

• A likely response to this is, "Gee, those are nifty rewards. I wish Tesla hadn't stopped the Referral Program." Agreed. At the same time as the various phases of the Referral Program, Tesla may have also been providing in-car freebies, factory tours, hand-shaking opportunities at new car deliveries, and other relatively inexpensive but influential activities. These things made an impression on consumers (apparently enough of an impression to mask the bad-taste left by occasional shoddy build-quality out of Fremont [Sorry! But it's true, right?]).

• And indeed, a semblance of the Referral Program has returned, albeit in a somewhat different form. But that makes sense; today's Tesla no longer needs to maintain the arguably gimmicky and at times overly complicated Referral Program of the Twenty-teen Years. And still there are no splashy (and expensive) magazine and TV ad campaigns. (Though to be fair, we do see Tesla cars occasionally displayed prominently in fictional content like TV's "Rabbit Hole," "Invasion," and "South Park." I assume that those conspicuous cameos are not purely coincidental.)
Jack Bauer Drives a Legacy Model X

'Jack Bauer'* drives a Legacy Model X (with 20" Helix wheels).​
_____
* Actually character 'John Weir' played by actor Kiefer Sutherland (or in this case probably a stand-in) on the TV show thriller "Rabbit Hole."

Referral Gift Photo Gallery​

(Sources include archived Tesla webpages)

22-inch Model X Onyx Black Turbine Wheel & Pirelli Scorpion Tire
Special Matte Black Gen 2 High Power Wall Connector (w/etched Elon signature)
21-inch Model S Arachnid Wheel & Michelin Pilot Sport Tire

Teslas for Big & Little Kids

Founders Series Powerwall
Tesla Moab Weekender Leather Duffel Bag
Tesla Nevada Gigafactory
Tesla Owner's Jacket

Tesla Unveiling Event (for Model 3)

Last edited:
Thanks for the timeline! Very interesting.

The Roadster discount could be interpreted in a couple different ways, depending on how it is legally written.

1) 10 referrals x 10% off = 100% off - Not likely to honor that. They could also just set a limit.
or
2) Example price:
$250,000 price
- $25,000 (1st 10%)
$225,000
- $22,500 (2nd 10%
$202,500
- $20,250 (3rd 10%)
$182,250
- $18,225 (4th 10%)
$164,025
- $16,402.5 (5th 10%)
$147,622.5
- $14,762.25 (6th 10%)
$132,860.25
- $13,286.025 (7th 10%)
$119,574.225
- $11,957.43 (8th 10%)
$107,616.78
- $10,761.68 (9th 10%)
$96,855.12
- $9,685.52 (10th 10%
$87,169.60 Total

So, interpreted this way, the car is far from free. Still drastically reduced, but not free.
And if you think about the profit margin from 10 referral purchases:

$250,000
-$87169.60
= $162,830.40 worth of discount
or $16,283.04 per referral

Does Tesla make $16k profit per vehicle? Don't know. But the ROI long-term could make it worthwhile.
How many people had 10 referrals? If it were 10, that's 10 discounted Roadsters = 100 "new" customers, and presumably the original referrers wouldn't stop referring, incentive or not. Plus you have 100 new customers that could buy again in the future.
I think offering something, anything, is good for business. They did go a bit crazy for a few yrs there.

For a company that doesn't advertise in the traditional way, this still seems like it would be profitable in the long run.

...The Roadster discount could be interpreted in a couple different ways, depending on how it is legally written...

Ha, ha. Yes, that second way may be correct, but it is not very romantic. (Reminds me of cutting a string in half repeatedly. With precise-enough tools you could theoretically get down to the atomic level. :) )

I have no dog in this hunt, but as a interested bystander it may look bad if Tesla tries too hard to wiggle it's way out of a (careless?) commitment. On the other hand, among the 80(?) who got so many referrals, did some use underhanded techniques? Are they mostly high-pressure sales-people who could take advantage of others? Or are thy just regular folks who worked real hard? I'll let Tesla (and its lawyers) settle this one.

1) 10 referrals x 10% off = 100% off - Not likely to honor that.

That's exactly how it was written and referrals credited to owners' accounts. Except it was 55 referrals. Each referral was a 2% discount off the car. Anyone who got 55 referrals has a referral award Roadster in their Tesla account. If they got 105 referrals, they have two Roadsters. Anything in between is a straight 2% discount for each referral. The only wrinkle is that I think you needed a minimum of 10 referrals to start accruing discount referral credits for the Roadster. So for the first Roadster, you actually needed 55 referrals.

This explains it better:

10+ Qualifying Referrals: Secret level(s) open up after the 5 referrals. At 10 referrals in the secret levels you gets 10% off the new roadster when released and every additional one gets 2% more off until it is eventually free.
Also, you can actually see how many people qualified for a free Roadster (or two) here: Top Tesla referrers

So, interpreted this way, the car is far from free. Still drastically reduced, but not free.
And if you think about the profit margin from 10 referral purchases:

$250,000
-$87169.60
= $162,830.40 worth of discount
or $16,283.04 per referral

None of this makes any sense. That's not how it works.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tps5352
I still have the sneaking suspicion that there were more products offered as referral awards besides the ones listed in the OP. Things like wheels, charging connectors, and so forth. Maybe products that weren't selling on the "Shop" webpage were temporarily used as alternative awards?

Anyway, if anyone can confirm other product awards, please let me know.