Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a bear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo, was AP on? Were you looking forward when the bear ran in front?

Any breaking from either you or AP? If there was no breaking at all, I really feel sorry for the bear. I know it's very easy to become overconfident in AP while the driver should still be paying the same amount of attention as without driver aids.

There are those who invest for personal gain (Capitalists) and then there are those who invest in a better future for themselves and others. Musk is among the latter: Tesla's Mission: "Accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy." So, I guess as long as the world is not 100% on sustainable energy there will be no dividends from Tesla.
Wait, now you are talking stocks? Is this because you are expecting a bear market?

There are those who invest for personal gain (Capitalists) and then there are those who invest in a better future for themselves and others. Musk is among the latter: Tesla's Mission: "Accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy." So, I guess as long as the world is not 100% on sustainable energy there will be no dividends from Tesla.

Weird. You quoted a post from a completely different thread.

OP glad you're alright. Looks like maybe the hood saved you the way it bent.

Weird. You quoted a post from a completely different thread.

OP glad you're alright. Looks like maybe the hood saved you the way it bent.

I wondered about that hood bend too. Deer impacts are all too common around here, and we have a few situations where deer have been known to end up in passenger compartments, This would have eliminated that chance if it happened on impact and not just cleanup later.

Last edited:
How did the bear manage to sneak out onto the road with out you noticing? I know that deer and etc will dart out in front quickly and unexpectedly, didn't think bears do that...?

If you watch the video someone else posted up thread, the bear just appears. And he's kind of tailgating the car in front of him in that video, and the bear tries to run between them.

Sooo, was AP on? Were you looking forward when the bear ran in front?
Any breaking from either you or AP?

That's is a pretty good question. OP ?

I almost hit a deer a few months ago in NJ, on AP.
AP never saw it.
I braked and went to the right of it, onto the paved shoulder, then steered back onto the road. Traction control fought me, trying to keep car going straight, but one can over-ride it.

If there was no breaking at all, I really feel sorry for the bear. I know it's very easy to become overconfident in AP while the driver should still be paying the same amount of attention as without driver aids.

On a divided highway, you can always see the animals coming at you.
You may not be able to avoid them, as they can act unpredictably, but you can see them coming.
If the OP took out the bear without initiating any emergency maneuvers to avoid it, it's on him. Or on the AP.

I'm mildly curious which one?

Reactions: cucubits
On a divided highway, you can always see the animals coming at you.
You may not be able to avoid them, as they can act unpredictably, but you can see them coming.
That has not been my experience. I drive about 40 km of divided highway each way on my daily commute. Many times I have not seen animals (mostly deer) until I am right beside them. Any of them could have spooked and run in front of my vehicle.

It is an unusual week that I don't see some kind of road kill on my way to work, mostly deer and raccoons. I think if people were seeing them they would be avoiding them.

My wife was hit by a deer while driving. The deer ran out of the bush at the side of the highway and ran into the side of her Prius. It knocked the driver's side mirror off. If the deer had been one second earlier, or my wife had been one second later, the deer's path would have taken it right in front of the car.

A coworker was on an undivided highway when a deer ran out of the bush in front of her truck. She breaked, even though the deer was about 100 meters away. She was glad that she had braked because a few seconds later a cougar ran out of the bush in pursuit of the deer.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Dr. J
Definitely not a comprehensive claim. He HIT the bear, thus a collision claim.
No, hitting an animal like that is a comp claim 100% of the time, that is why you always hit the animal instead of trying to swerve. (well, it is also safer)

This is from ICBC:

Comprehensive coverage
Non-collision damage can happen in a variety of ways.

Break-ins, a chipped windshield, falling trees—a lot more can happen to a vehicle than just a crash. Comprehensive coverage helps offset the costs from this kind of damage.

How does Comprehensive coverage help you?
Comprehensive covers loss or damage to your vehicle from:

• Theft and vandalism
  • Fire, earthquake, explosion
  • Falling or flying objects such as a rock or gravel hitting your windshield
  • Hitting a domestic or wild animal
  • Weather—lightning, windstorm, hail, rising water

Last edited:
If you watch the video someone else posted up thread, the bear just appears. And he's kind of tailgating the car in front of him in that video, and the bear tries to run between them.

That video is from two years ago. Not the same bear as the OP's accident. Unless of course the bear recovered and came back.