Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Deer at 50mph in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, at exactly the 1000 mile mark in my 1 month old Model 3, I hit deer in the Philadelphia suburbs! It was a full-sized doe. If I were to guess, I'd say close to 200 lbs. After initial impact, it slammed against my windshield and (I guess) hobbled away. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I'm not even sure I hit the brakes until after impact. Happy to report that I am okay. But unfortunately, I'm pretty positive the deer did not make it. To my surprise, the car only sustained limited damage and still runs fine. The front fender is cracked, the drivers side headlight is busted, the hood and drivers side front panel are dinged up. Wish me luck with the insurance/repairs saga...

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 241
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    819.9 KB · Views: 211
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    875.5 KB · Views: 205
Hey all, at exactly the 1000 mile mark in my 1 month old Model 3, I hit deer in the Philadelphia suburbs! It was a full-sized doe. If I were to guess, I'd say close to 200 lbs. After initial impact, it slammed against my windshield and (I guess) hobbled away. It came absolutely out of nowhere and I'm not even sure I hit the brakes until after impact. Happy to report that I am okay. But unfortunately, I'm pretty positive the deer did not make it. To my surprise, the car only sustained limited damage and still runs fine. The front fender is cracked, the drivers side headlight is busted, the hood and drivers side front panel are dinged up. Wish me luck with the insurance/repairs saga...

Sorry about the car, glad you are ok!

TMC really needs another emoticon category...

Lucky the deer did not go through the front windshield, could have been much worse, I just came back from a 2,100 road trip to northern California and a similar sized deer ran across the road in front of me, if we were about 1/2 second earlier than I imagine I would be posting something similar

Last edited:
Lucky the deer did not go through the front windshield, could have been much worse, I just came back from a 2,100 road trip to northern California and a similar sized deer ran across the road in front of me, if we were about 1/2 second later than I imagine I would be posting something similar
Wow. You lucked out. Amazing the difference a fraction of a second makes.