TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Hit a Few Plastic Barrels, Pay Half Your Car's Value

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Wingsy, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Mobster

Mobster Member

Wow...the whole story, the crash and the dollars involved, is incredible. Thanks for sharing it with us. Educational on a number of levels.

My stomach tightens just reading about naping at 72 MPH. I remember driving drowsy and fighting to stay awake in the past. You are blessed to be alive! Not that the barrels would kill...just that of course, you could have had a spectacular crash under or into something more permanent.

That estimate is a ball buster! I would like to see an "epilogue" post from you letting us know what punishment your insurance company lays on you. (increased premiums, cancellation) They don't pay out without exacting a pound of flesh down the road.

2. Darren Donovan

His premium for next renewal will rise significantly, IF they still allow him to renew.

3. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

Appears NC is 75% loss threshold, no TLF, so probably no total here.

When is Your Car a Total Loss? | CARFAX

4. rpb1234

rpb1234 Member

That is one of the things that I have found driving Tesla the problem is

5. rpb1234

rpb1234 Member

That's the problem that I find with owning a Model X Tesla when driving through construction sites. That the software does not see in driver-assist or autopilot construction barrels or concrete barriers if the construction barrels or barriers are over the line whether the line be solid intermittent yellow or white. I hope Musk can fix this problem soon.

6. Wingsy

Wingsy Member

You are correct. It doesn't really matter to me what it cost; I've already paid my $500 deductible. My post isn't a complaint as someone suggested. It's a post simply because I thought many of you would find it interesting, just like I do when someone posts a similar story.

• Like x 5
  7. AlanSubie4Life

Mostly just curious about what the damage was at this point...we know you lost your driver side mirror, and I figure all panels on the left side are damaged, the hood is damaged, the bumper is damaged, and possibly some panels on the right side. Additionally, there may be damage to undercovers, and possibly wheel well plastic shields.

8. jjrandorin

jjrandorin Another BMW convert

Thats going to happen wherever he gets it repaired.

9. raptor5244

raptor5244 Member

Don't forget depreciated value once it is repaired. Figure $5-10k reduction in resale value vs. a non-wrecked car even if it is repaired perfectly.

10. AlanSubie4Life

Much less likely to be able to get a diminished value claim approved in an at-fault accident...

• Like x 1
  11. Wingsy

Wingsy Member

Here is the detailed estimate. I was at the body shop this morning to review the estimate. I feel confident that everything they listed is ligit. Since it is a new car there is zero tolerance for damage, even the slightest scratch. Nothing is fixed. It's replaced. Possible exception may be where a scuff mark may be buffed out, but that would be rare since it looks like anything that a barrel touched is getting replaced.

An example of how one part leads to the replacement of another: The front left pillar has damage so it is being replaced, which calls for the top glass to be removed... but Tesla doesn't allow the same top glass to be reinstalled so it too is being replaced. There were several instances like this, so the parts being replaced just snowballed into what came close to a total loss.

If there is any good to come from all this it is that every sensor & camera is getting a complete recalibration. I have my fingers crossed that this may go a long way in reducing my phantom braking events (which had gotten to the point of my wife not wanting to ride in it with cruise on). I wish Tesla would concentrate on this problem as much as they do dog comfort and games.

Attached Files:

• Informative x 4
  12. AlanSubie4Life

Summary:
    Replace:
    Basically the entire front bumper and grille assembly & brackets
    Left headlight, left and right repeater lamps
    Hood
    Left fender
    Front plate (electrical, so whatever that is)
    Left front and right rear wheels
    Suspension brackets left and right front (whatever those are)
    Windshield
    Top front glass molding, etc. (the glass is allegedly going to be removed and replaced)
    Cowl left and right side covers
    Left rocker inserts
    Left front door, mirror, etc.
    Left rear door glass & moldings
    Left rear quarter glass
    Rear bumper undercover (perhaps?)
    Left rear bumper bracket

Repair:
    Right fender
    Left uniside assembly (the aluminum that surrounds the doors)

And obviously all of the disassembly to prepare these parts for painting, blending, etc.

• Helpful x 1
  13. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.36.11

You forgot about the $50 for 2 units of coolant! ;)

• Funny x 1
  14. Puddles

Puddles Member

Of course, there’s that. But where do you think insurance money comes from? US.

I have a very good independent shop locally who does Tesla work, is the main reason I bring it up. I have nothing against Tesla shops, but I do like to support the local guys when I can. Plus, a little competition might shine a little light of reason on some of those crazy labor quotes.

15. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

Clearly they need update the law to accommodate Teslas. I wonder why such a rule exists in the first place? Makes no sense to fix when the car would probably get at least 50% of its pre-accident value at auction.

16. AlanSubie4Life

Maybe so the “gap” issue is encountered less often? Drives up rates but less need to carry gap insurance if you are living hand to mouth. Less likely to get stuck with no car and still owing money?

17. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

If your Tesla gets $30k in repairs you're going to be stuck with no car for a long time after your 30 day rental insurance runs out (if you even have it). Haha. I can't believe some states will force the insurance companies to fix cars with repair costs of 100% of the ACV. Maybe the collision repair businesses have a strong lobby?

18. AlanSubie4Life

For Teslas specifically the advantage may well be minimal! At least you wouldn’t owe a bunch of money that needs to be paid in full immediately because it is no longer secured, on your non-existent car.

19. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Member

The windshield doesn't look like it broke, and I'm not so sure of the two wheels.

TBH, I stopped reading after the windshield.

20. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

They paint it with a brush. That's why it takes 41 hours.

• Funny x 2