Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Metal Object! No F*re But Pissed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lloyds

Apr 3, 2013
Bay Area
Stuck in traffic going about 30mph on the 101. Next thing I know an old pick up truck swerves into my lane and he hits a a small pothole, which launched something from his bed. I tried to swerve, but it went right under the car and I heard it directly under me. I immediately pulled over to take a look and this is what I found. BTW, I'm pissed

Can you guys tell if it got to the battery? This is the first time I looked under the car so I don't know what to look for.

Attachments

• 20140131_183927_resized.jpg
    20140131_183927_resized.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,811
No battery damage to my eye. Looks like it cut into the side of the pack though. Still recommend taking into service for a professional look or calling/emailing them the pic at the least.

Glad you are okay. So many other bad things could have happened (and I don't mean a fire).

Indeed road debris isn't something to joke around about, so it is quite fortunate that was all that happened to you... People should really get in a lot of trouble for not properly securing cargo on their vehicles. I almost hit a box in the road the other day and thankfully managed to avoid it. Good thing cause as I looked in the review mirror the box was still full of what looked like a metal cabinet of some kind (maybe about the size of a mini fridge).

i am am glad the OP is safe, hopefully the repair isn't that much and you can get back on your way quickly :)

Indeed road debris isn't something to joke around about, so it is quite fortunate that was all that happened to you... People should really get in a lot of trouble for not properly securing cargo on their vehicles. I almost hit a box in the road the other day and thankfully managed to avoid it. Good thing cause as I looked in the review mirror the box was still full of what looked like a metal cabinet of some kind (maybe about the size of a mini fridge).

i am am glad the OP is safe, hopefully the repair isn't that much and you can get back on your way quickly :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I scheduled a drop off, so hopefully this is not going to be expensive or extensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Let me guess, he had the tailgate down trying save gas :cursing:
Sorry to hear, but glad all is good.
If you can't make it to the service center there is always duct tape LOL :tongue:

Yes, the tailgate was down! Let's just say it was loud. I would equate it to sounding like a gunshot from under the car.

Any chance you got his plate, you could call it in to HIS insurance.

This doesn't work. His insurance would deny it unless you have proof. I have tried this before when something fell of a truck in front of me (driving a Murano at the time), and it bounced up, smashed my headlight, dented in my hood, smashed my windshield, then dented my roof. I followed the guy and got his license plate number. I contacted my insurance who said they'd call the other guys insurance but they already knew standard procedure would be that they'd deny it unless you have proof. Sure enough, my insurance called me back and said 'nope, sorry, his insurance denied it ever happened'.

Sorry for your mishap. Insurance should cover it I hope. Can you let us know if your insurance company gives you a hard time though.
Thanks

Yes, fortunately, in this case when the other guys insurance deny's it, your insurance still covers it. Thank god in my car, because it was over $8k in damage.

This is why some of us swear to Cameras in our Cars. For me $290 front and rear cameras are well worth the price. So far I haven't needed them although I did catch my 6 year old in a lie about not hitting the car (It was the 2014 odyssey) with her bike. She now knows better to lie to dad since he has eyes everywhere.

This is why some of us swear to Cameras in our Cars. For me $290 front and rear cameras are well worth the price. So far I haven't needed them although I did catch my 6 year old in a lie about not hitting the car (It was the 2014 odyssey) with her bike. She now knows better to lie to dad since he has eyes everywhere.

Wait till she's 13 when she'll get more creative ;)

Good point about the cameras. I wish more manufacturers offered this as a factory option. I generally dislike intrusive or otherwise not-so-integrated mods to my cars.

This doesn't work. His insurance would deny it unless you have proof. I have tried this before when something fell of a truck in front of me (driving a Murano at the time), and it bounced up, smashed my headlight, dented in my hood, smashed my windshield, then dented my roof. I followed the guy and got his license plate number. I contacted my insurance who said they'd call the other guys insurance but they already knew standard procedure would be that they'd deny it unless you have proof. Sure enough, my insurance called me back and said 'nope, sorry, his insurance denied it ever happened'.

Yes, fortunately, in this case when the other guys insurance deny's it, your insurance still covers it. Thank god in my car, because it was over $8k in damage.

Well that's just crappy. Ugh... Shame, people get away with this crap...

One of the best and smallest cams I've found is the Mobius action cam. Good quality video and very small. No video screen, but if you need to see anything it captured, just plug it, or the mini-sd card, into a computer.

cam.jpg

I won't post the video, but here's a link to a very thorough (and long) review of it. About $89 on Amazon, less on E-Bay.

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for them or trying to sell anything. I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on a dash cam myself, and after researching a bunch, this is the one I've settled on.

Last edited: