Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and run caught by sentry mode

valaeyron

Sep 8, 2020
Virginia
Dude - you call this a "hit and run" !?!?
What are you - from midWest or something?
This is an average garden variety parking job in 'da City.
Any surface areas of your car that are exposed to contact with other cars' bumpers will, inevitably, take damage from parallel parking encounters. Some bumper-car encounters will be initiated by others, some by yourself. It's a cost of owning and parallel parking a car in 'da City.

It is how it is.

No, it’s not. No one cares that people in “’da city” can’t park. You do damage, you pay for it. You’re supposed to leave your contact info and report it, and you don’t? That’s a hit and run.

Where the heck are YOU from?! Being from NYC does not absolve anyone from doing the right thing, or following the rules.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ
Any type of contact where the driver left without leaving contact info is a technical "hit and run". I had a door ding and the insurance company classified it as that.

My door ding caught the driver's plates and my insurance (Geico) did a carrier lookup to ID the driver. Funny enough they had Geico too. It was solved as other drive's fault in just a few days. As others have mentioned, just call your insurance company, send them the video, and let them take care of it.

Reactions: valaeyron

eab6287

Oct 8, 2018
New York, NY
Did they request to see the video? Or did they accept responsibility by virtue of your having the video?
I proactively sent the video along with the claim. They spent a few days trying to reach out to the driver of the other vehicle, who was completely unresponsive, and then they told me they accepted 100% responsibility. Not sure if that would have been different if she somehow came up with a story as to how she wasn't responsible.

eab6287

Oct 8, 2018
New York, NY
In case anyone is curious, this ended up being $2,500 to fix (despite it just being surface scratches/flaking of paint; no dents / no new parts required). It apparently is because of higher labor rates at Tesla-certified body shops.

• Informative
Reactions: LionXng

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC