Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and run caught on cameras...Help identify blurry license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

I was driving my Model 3 past a line of cars today when a silver Lexus pulled out directly in front of me. He was only about 30% into the lane when we contacted and then he kept driving, hitting another Lexus as he fled the scene.

Are there any graphics experts who can sharpen up a blurry license plate from TeslaCam footage?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 989
Why not just turn the video over to the police, and/or your insurance? What would you do with the information if someone was able to determine it, beside "turn it over to the police or your insurance", which will likely run their own tools on it?

Let me edit this and say "there isnt anything wrong with the thread or question asked in the thread", because some might get the impression I am intimating that. I am just asking a question on why not let insurance, etc do their job on this instead of trying to sleuth it online.

I have done so with both, but I know that I care more about my problems than someone else does. The police said that a report will be complete in 10 days. Now that means that they have a lot of work, don't consider it a huge priority, or perhaps both. Giving them a clear image vs a blurry vidcap will make their job easier and probably make for a better result for both injured parties.

Did the cops look at the video and tell you it was the other guy's fault? I ask because it's one of those where they may say you could have stopped in time to avoid the collision. It's not like he blind-sided t-boned you. I always slow down and keep an eye out expecting cross traffic to pull out like that when the other lanes have come to a stop. People also just pull out in front of you to get out of the slow lane without looking. I've seen it too many times to feel comfortable barreling down the road in that situation.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: FlatSix911
Did the cops look at the video and tell you it was the other guy's fault? I ask because it's one of those where they may say you could have stopped in time to avoid the collision. It's not like he t-boned you. I always slow down and keep an eye out expecting cross traffic to pull out like that when the other lanes have come to a stop. People also just pull out in front of you to get out of the slow lane without looking. I've seen it too many times to feel comfortable barreling down the road in that situation.
It's very clear it was the other guys fault...and I wouldn't say the OP was barreling down the road. You can clearly see the OP moving to the right to avoid a collision hoping the Lexus would see and stop. No doubt in my mind it was the Lexus fault 100%. He didn't even seem in a hurry to get away either! It looks as though that chunk of plastic was the Lexus side bumper too!

Why not just turn the video over to the police, and/or your insurance? What would you do with the information if someone was able to determine it, beside "turn it over to the police or your insurance", which will likely run their own tools on it?
My guess is the police dept are not going to put work into this .. so if he can get even a few digits of the plate, that combined with color/model of the car should narrow it down pretty much.

Reactions: Rountad