Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and Run, need help with video clean up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So someones little snot nosed kid slammed their door into my 2 month old Model Y (I'm not exaggerating, I mean flung that thing right into my car) creating a massive dent/crease right over the right rear wheel. I've got everything on Sentry cam, however when he pulled away the rear camera wasn't able to catch the plate. The left and rear camera were able to see the plate when he drove in, but I have zero skills when it comes to video editing or cleaning up the images. Can anyone here help?

I've filed a police and insurance report, but I'm hoping to have the plate number to make it a clean kill for them.

Thanks in advance, if you can PM me I'll email you the videos.

Trying youtube. Hoping it uploaded in the full quality available. The left repeater he drives by at about the 53 second mark. In the rear facing you can see him pull into a spot, then back out and pull in next to me. :mad:

Last edited:
Trying youtube. Hoping it uploaded in the full quality available. The left repeater he drives by at about the 53 second mark. In the rear facing you can see him pull into a spot, then back out and pull in next to me. :mad:

Unfortunately, this is beyond my abilities. That left repeater angle is not clear enough, at a tough angle, and obscured by branches.

It sucks they don't have a front license plate. Do you have any other video angles to share? That left-repeater shows them already leaving. Do you have video of them backing out of their space? Or maybe earlier in the sequence from your left-repeater so we can see when it passes behind you?

If this is a shopping area, I would try to see if the local businesses have security cameras that identify which shops the family entered and if they were recognized as purchasing something. If they bought something then maybe the police can trace the payment method back to a name. This is gonna require more work and some luck too. Sorry it happened to you.

@DarkHelmet, if only that Kia stayed in its original spot and not re-parked.

HOWEVER, if you notice from your rear camera video, three spaces from you the white car looks like it's another Tesla (from the wheel design). Do you have video of their license plate? If so, lookup the plate of that fellow Tesla owner and reach out to them to see if their cameras captured the Kia's rear plate, but you'd have to do it quickly before any old videos get overwritten. Good luck!

Unfortunately, this is beyond my abilities. That left repeater angle is not clear enough, at a tough angle, and obscured by branches.

It sucks they don't have a front license plate. Do you have any other video angles to share? That left-repeater shows them already leaving. Do you have video of them backing out of their space? Or maybe earlier in the sequence from your left-repeater so we can see when it passes behind you?

If this is a shopping area, I would try to see if the local businesses have security cameras that identify which shops the family entered and if they were recognized as purchasing something. If they bought something then maybe the police can trace the payment method back to a name. This is gonna require more work and some luck too. Sorry it happened to you.
Other cameras didn’t get the plate either... but I’m working with the restaurant owner to correlate the time stamps and her security footage. The other Tesla (model S I think) never moved.