Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and run of my brand new p85d

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe as a upgrade to the AutoPilot hardware. Cameras get activated and record whenever it detects a car approaching in the bubble.

I would love this. The newer cars already have cameras, front and back. This is worth an email to ownership@ with feature request.

But this assumes there's video capture on both feeds on the center console computer such that the video could be recorded at all. The cameras may just be pass through for the rear, and dedicated video processor chip for the front.

I hate this,

I caught my uncle (here from overseas for a few weeks holiday), leaning on someone's Toyota Camry in the Costco Parking lot.

I went absolutely apesh!t at him, There was no damage at all, (he's probably about 150lbs) and he didnt have studs in jeans or anything, but suffice to say he won't be leaning on cars anytime soon.

I usuallly park as far as possible from everyone as possible, hopefully this mitigates a possible ding/dent, but in reality it can happen anytime.

BTW OP, did you file a police report? Won't that be enough for the Insurance company to consider it "not your fault"? That way the onus is on the insurance company (via the police) to obtain evidence to get someone else to pay for it

My p85 got backed into in a parking lot by a truck with a trailer hitch post receiver earlier this year. No note. Just this lovely square cut out of my front bumper.

View attachment 67265

I don't normally look at my passenger side bumper so sadly I don't know when it happened and missed the event on my Dash recorder, because it got recorded over.

Odd...my Blackvue saves events that meet/exceed a threshold G force that is user set, so no overwriting unless you erase/reformat the SD card. Yes, 'routine' video is overwritten if it does not meet parameters.

Yes, it's nuts that the bank is taking that stance.

I'd press them on that. I'm not sure what "talk to the police means"...I wouldn't expect the police to demand the video. That's a legal nightmare. The bank should just do the right thing.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't. That's exactly how it's supposed to work. You're supposed to report a crime to the police, and the police investigate the crime. In this case, that would include reviewing the bank's footage. You may be able to convince the bank to look at their tape, but it's pretty unlikely a bank of all places is going to release their security camera footage to a random customer. I'm not sure why you think the police requesting security camera footage in the course of investigation of a crime is a legal nightmare, but releasing it to a random customer is perfectly acceptable.

The problem here is that the police are busy/lazy and won't bother investigating, which is unfortunately pretty common for these kinds of crimes.

Sadly, the only path forward is to pester one of them until they budge or give up.

I would love this. The newer cars already have cameras, front and back. This is worth an email to ownership@ with feature request.

But this assumes there's video capture on both feeds on the center console computer such that the video could be recorded at all. The cameras may just be pass through for the rear, and dedicated video processor chip for the front.

I second this. I hope it's only really a software upgrade and nothing else. I don't see why they can't enable it as a feature. Could it be a software limitation? Or perhaps the USB write-speed does not have enough bandwidth for the two HD cameras? Or maybe it's a legalistic barrier where they don't want to be involved in a case where the driver expected that an accident would be recorded but somehow there's a glitch and it didn't record--the driver can sue.

Very painful.
A couple of years ago, on the DAY that I picked up a new BMW from the dealership, I park at a lakeshore cafe for lunch, and come back to this.

Someone felt they needed to "pull in as far as possible", until they hit the car ahead of them, to know that they were "parked".
Not a day old.
It's not like it's horrible damage (scratches on front bumper), but come on, on the FIRST DAY!

Also, no info on the other party: nobody showed up, and I wasn't going to wait for hours.

-- Greg

I'm not the biggest fan of the look but the oversized versions (3.0 or the XL) of bumpshox might have saved you in that case.

I'd rather not have a front plate but if you are in a state were one is required you might consider one of these for parking lot hit and run insurance.

Personally if I bought one I'd grind off the color where the bumpshox name is and make it all black.

I've had the car less than week now and had someone hit my car. I had the car parked while running some errands, came back and noticed that the car had some scratches and some dirt on the back of the car. I cleaned off the dirt and some of the paint went with it. The finish of the paint scuffed up and multiple chips of paint were the main damage. Not sure whether there was more damage or not. I was parked outside of a bank and ask if they had security footage of the parking lot. They did but would not release unless I talked to the police. Contacted the local police, they ran me in circles. Told me they would only review the video if I had visual evidence of the vehicle that hit me, (ei the security video from the bank.) Hope it doesn't cost to much to repair. I'm more annoyed that someone hit my car and didn't leave a note.

Maybe a lawyer could force the bank to produce the video. It would be worth a call.

I think every new car I've ever bought got dinged within the first two weeks. It's really aggravating but I'm getting resigned to it. Last time some guy who was sleep deprived rear ended me at a stop light in my 2 week old car (not a Tesla, thank heaven).

My new P85D was also a victim of a hit and run while parked. I was parallel parked across the street from [FONT=arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Nepenthe[/SIZE][/FONT] in Big Sur, CA on Wed, Dec 31st. While I was having lunch, someone backed into front of my 8 day old Tesla and damaged the nosecone to the point that it will now have to be replaced. I didn't see it happen. Super frustrating, but I guess the repair is easier than an aluminum/paint fix.