Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit and Run. Software update screwed me over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
I just found a large scrape with some minor misalignment of my rear bumper. I didn't notice it until a week later, as I was away using an ICE vehicle. I know exactly when and where it happened, as my driving and parking has been extremely limited. I went to review my recordings, only to realize that I had none for several weeks. I turned off sentry mode in order to do a software update, and forgot to turn it back on! Now, I am on the hook for the repairs, and I have a $1,000 deductible. I would have liked to have caught this person, as you could imagine. I simply do not understand why Tesla cannot have a feature that, upon authorization, allow the software to automatically turn Sentry Mode off then back on for the update.

In the meantime, does anybody have a reputable repair shop in West LA? DC Autocraft popped up as an ad on this forum today as a complete coincidence (I did no prior searches prior to posting). Their website makes them look expensive though.

I just found a large scrape with some minor misalignment of my rear bumper. I didn't notice it until a week later, as I was away using an ICE vehicle. I know exactly when and where it happened, as my driving and parking has been extremely limited. I went to review my recordings, only to realize that I had none for several weeks. I turned off sentry mode in order to do a software update, and forgot to turn it back on! Now, I am on the hook for the repairs, and I have a $1,000 deductible. I would have liked to have caught this person, as you could imagine. I simply do not understand why Tesla cannot have a feature that, upon authorization, allow the software to automatically turn Sentry Mode off then back on for the update.

In the meantime, does anybody have a reputable repair shop in West LA? DC Autocraft popped up as an ad on this forum today as a complete coincidence (I did no prior searches prior to posting). Their website makes them look expensive though.

Sorry to hear. Curious as to why you needed to turn it off for the software update? I haven't thus far on my MYP, is this an 'S' thing?

• Informative
Reactions: vraev
Not sure if this is helpful (certainly not now), but I have Sentry mode turned off while the car is parked inside my home garage. Then Sentry automatically turns itself on in all other locations. That way I can install software updates at home without worrying about disabling Sentry mode, and it gets auto enabled when leave home.
Excellent idea!

Sorry to hear. Curious as to why you needed to turn it off for the software update? I haven't thus far on my MYP, is this an 'S' thing?
I do not know if it is an S thing. Whenever I try to update my software, I return to find an error message that says, something to the effect of, "Software update failed because Sentry Mode was activated. Please turn off Sentry Mode and try again"

• Informative
Reactions: pkitch
Could that be something to do with Sentry "catching" someone walking near the car while updating after the "lock and get clear" time?
I've never had an aborted update with or without Sentry being enabled - but then I have the "not at home" button engaged.

We're not in West LA, but we have been a long time TAB certified shop that works closely with the service centers in Southern California. Our Diamond Bar/Walnut location would probably be the closest to you. We're even tasked by Tesla's Pomona bodyshop to handle their vehicles and have a great relationship with the company in general. In addition to Tesla's, we handle other high end vehicles such as Porsche, Mercedes, and BMW. Our shop in Orange is actually a Tesla-specific shop, as well. We definitely have the expertise to help you out.

Feel free to check out our reviews https://www.yelp.com/biz/diamond-hills-collision-center-diamond-bar and/or call into the service centers in our area to verify. We'd love to assist you in any way we can. We're slightly different from other shops in that we're not a heavy DRP (direct repair partner) shop. For us, the customer is our priority. If it's a customer pay, we can definitely work with you on pricing, as well. If we're too far, though, DC is a good shop. They certainly know what they are doing.

I had a hit and run from a parking lot before (Old Audi A4 - no Sentry Mode haha). Did you file a police report? Generally when it’s a hit and run your deductible should be lower. I think my standard deductible was $500, but they only charged me $300 for the hit and run.

Maybe it’s got something to do with remotely updating. I use my phone to initiate the update and I have to turn off sentry mode to proceed. Maybe if you update from the car’s screen you don’t need to disable sentry mode.

No, it always must be disabled or the software update will not begin. The other poster is wrong (and probably forgot he has Home excluded from Sentry mode).

Reactions: nomis_nehc