Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit by an 18 wheeler [is my car totaled]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do yall think they are going to total my tesla? If not how much do you think the repair estimate will be? Just curious, I was side swiped by an 18 wheeler, they were at fault.

Attachments

• 20220520_100520.jpg
    20220520_100520.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 249
  • 20220520_100508.jpg
    20220520_100508.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 55465.jpeg
    55465.jpeg
    883.2 KB · Views: 185
I'm almost hoping it is, I can't even get it looked at until August at any tesla certified body shop around. But at least I still have my head 😬😬
AUGUST?!!! Is it drivable? Most likley fixable but it all depends on the extent of the damage that can't be seen Looks like an entire rear door replacement, quarter panel replacement, rocker panel and wheel well replacement. It's possible there is frame damage as well.

Reactions: XPsionic
August? The heck... we're still in May!

Everyone better make sure they have rental car insurance and hope to god the rental car coverage pays for the insane supply constrained prices these days.

Doesn't matter if they have "rental insurance" or not, they are at fault they need to pay for your expenses regardless so long as you minimise them. If a rental car is needed they either have to provide it or pay for it.

AUGUST?!!! Is it drivable? Most likley fixable but it all depends on the extent of the damage that can't be seen Looks like an entire rear door replacement, quarter panel replacement, rocker panel and wheel well replacement. It's possible there is frame damage as well.
Yes some tesla certified places are out even longer. I cant even get an estimate it's ridiculous. The truckers insurance won't even pay for a rental car until my car is actually in the shop being repaired. It's been a nightmare. It's not drivable it shakes so bad.

Doesn't matter if they have "rental insurance" or not, they are at fault they need to pay for your expenses regardless so long as you minimise them. If a rental car is needed they either have to provide it or pay for it.
They won't pay for a rental car until my car is being worked on in the shop and no shops will Even take it right now. I'm going round and round with these people. I thought if it wasn't drivable they would automatically put you in a rental. Not the case. They won't even send an adjuster out, said I need to have it towed somewhere.

They won't pay for a rental car until my car is being worked on in the shop and no shops will Even take it right now. I'm going round and round with these people. I thought if it wasn't drivable they would automatically put you in a rental. Not the case. They won't even send an adjuster out, said I need to have it towed somewhere.
Don't take this on by yourself if they are starting to act that way. While I am not the first to say talk to an attorney...that is simply not an acceptable answer from them. Check with your own insurance and see if they will treat you better and handle it from their side, or talk to an attorney. The insurance company for the trucking company is just trying to avoid it.

Sounds like they're jerking you around. As much as I hate to suggest it, you should probably talk to a lawyer.

Sounds like they're jerking you around. As much as I hate to suggest it, you should probably talk to a lawyer.
They really are on the hook for “loss of use.” They try to avoid it by telling you a limit on a rental car, but what the rental car is doing is compensation for the loss of use, and they owe that for every day your vehicle is down, really until it is fixed or it tops out that policy (doubtful with a commercial vehicle), in which case their insured should still be liable for any amount over that.

I’m sure an attorney can put it much more eloquently than that - but that is the bottom line.

I would venture a guess they would also potentially owe for the cost to drive (not just rent) the rental vehicle if it is an ICE. That's an added cost over what you would have likely paid driving your EV--especially if you're in CA where the oil companies have lost their god damned minds (for those that don't know, a few places have crossed $7/gallon).

Assuming trucker is at fault demand diminished value on top of car repairs, loss of use, medical, etc. Anyone who say all states with the exception of Georgia disallow dim val claims, and there are many, don't realize that this is only the case when you go after your own insurance company. If the other party is at fault then there is nothing preventing you from going after them. Source - two successful settlements on top with little help from my own insurance company on that specific recovery item. One got me 8k extra the other forced a total on the car (much better than the alternative given there was a good amount of frame damage).