Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit & Run, Need Help ID License

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sister's Model 3 was involved in a hit and run accident today. Brampton Ontario Canada.

Her car was going straight through a light (yellow) and someone turning left hit her. Told the driver to pull off to the side to exchange info but she took off instead. Dashcam was active but there wasn't a good shot of the license plate. Can kind of read it but not enough.

Insurance will take care of the damage eventually, but I am really pissed that someone just drove off like that. Went to the police station but they don't seem to care much. Would want to ID her license plate so the police would actually go after her.

I think it ends in 330 or 390 but can't read the rest. Does anyone some forensic or image manipulation skills that can help?

Front / L / R Repeater video clips can be found here:
Model 3 Accident - Google Drive

Attachments

• Hyundai Car in Accident.png
    Hyundai Car in Accident.png
    116.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Hyundai Driver (lady).png
    Hyundai Driver (lady).png
    452.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Car License Plate.png
    Car License Plate.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 107
Law enforcement can very likely narrow it down to a few just from a partial plate and the make/model/color of the vehicle. And if that still leaves a few, most likely knowing the few plate numbers it could be and determining how likely they fit the pixelated image is easier than the reverse.

If they don’t care though, that’s a tough one. Maybe try again another day?

My guess: LX2B 330

Good luck.

It is an Ontario license plate with format AAAA-###, the first letter must be A, B C or D.

The police didn't seem to care enough, I am sure knowing the model and color of the car with a partial plate in this area it can be narrowed down. But they basically said that they are not going to do anything unless they have a full plate. Situations such as these makes me loose faith in people in general.

I think this is a Hyundai Sonata, anyone know the year?

I am hoping that someone here will have the image / video skills to try and extract more data from the video steam.

At first I thought without watching the video and just reading your post your sister was the driver? Was it you?

Sad that the police wouldn't look into this. I would agree that it would seem with the above and their ability to look through partial matching records and visual descriptions in the photos they could locate the driver. Anyone involved in a car accident that doesn't stop to exchange info should not be on the road and the police should see to that the best they can. Since that doesn't seem to be the case, I would turn to auto insurance who has a vested interest in the damage amount to follow up. They probably have some similar abilities or have investigators who could follow up. Good luck finding this person and hope Canada is tough on people who do hit and runs. Don't you guys have a really high insurance value coverage in Canada, much higher than we do here in the States? or am I thinking about another country?

BTW looks like her front bumper is damaged pretty well along with the grill and maybe the hood. She had to have known her car was damaged so don't understand why she would drive off. The video clips should be helpful to investigators as well as the insurance company. Don't know how any one could simply drive off like that. I will say it does look like the Model 3 was crossing the striped crosswalk when the light turned red and she was already in the intersection from her left turn lane. That in and of itself makes it strange she wouldn't exchange info. Very wide intersection. Seems like she would have had time to avoid hitting the Model 3. JMO.

Last edited:
It is an Ontario license plate with format AAAA-###, the first letter must be A, B C or D.

The police didn't seem to care enough, I am sure knowing the model and color of the car with a partial plate in this area it can be narrowed down. But they basically said that they are not going to do anything unless they have a full plate. Situations such as these makes me loose faith in people in general.

I think this is a Hyundai Sonata, anyone know the year?

I am hoping that someone here will have the image / video skills to try and extract more data from the video steam.

AXZB-330 is my guess.

If the police wont help you could always posting on Facebook and Reddit and see if you can shame the guy into coming forward or maybe one of his friends will rat him out.

Playing devils advocate (not trying to be a d*ck) it looks like from video of the front of your sister’s car the light was yellow for a while and turned red just as she entered the intersection. Looking at it objectively, it looks like both parties may be at fault. Of course the other driver should be cited for leaving the scene of an accident but not sure if I’d want the police to examine the entire video as it may (in my opinion) indicate fault on your sister’s part as well. Either way, at least no one was seriously injured. Good luck.

Reactions: KenC and kavyboy
Yeah. it was close, but the video does show her car crossing the line white it was still yellow and changed just after the pedestrian walkway was crossed. Obviously, it would have been better if her car stopped. It didn't... No one was hurt as the speed wasn't high.

Thanks everyone for the help so far. Going to take some top guesses (e.g. AXZB330 AXZB390) into the station tomorrow and see if there is a cop that would care more.

Do you think this is a Hyundai Sonata? What year do we think it may be?

Reactions: C141medic
I agree with @C141medic. Although the other person should not have left, I believe your sister is mostly at fault legally. From to this page, "According to Section 44 of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, a driver is required to stop at a yellow light if they are able to make the stop safely. ... One police spokesperson confirms that trying to sneak through a yellow light when it would have been safe to stop is dangerous and illegal."
"Companies look at all of the evidence in determining fault. This can include red light camera photos, police reports and statements from witnesses who were at the scene of the collision. Laws in Ontario allow an insurance adjuster to determine fault in this type of accident when making decisions about payouts and benefits."

So, yeah, maybe just drop it. Sorry.

Reactions: C141medic and KenC
I used a high end video editing app to scrub through all 3 videos frame by frame and unfortunately there isn’t a good shot of the plate. There are several frames that should be good shots of the plate, but because of the temporal encoding those frames are smeared or pixelated and there just isn’t a way to "enhance" them like you see on TV.

I used a high end video editing app to scrub through all 3 videos frame by frame and unfortunately there isn’t a good shot of the plate. There are several frames that should be good shots of the plate, but because of the temporal encoding those frames are smeared or pixelated and there just isn’t a way to "enhance" them like you see on TV.
You reminded me of the super-spiffy low light photos that Google is able to render by combining frames together.

OP's wish does not seem so different, at least in principle

You reminded me of the super-spiffy low light photos that Google is able to render by combining frames together.

OP's wish does not seem so different, at least in principle

I kind of looked at that, because some portions of the plate are clearer in certain frames, but even zoomed in looking very closely I couldn’t see any of the digits clean enough to get a better guess that what's already been posted.