Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit & Run, Need Help ID License

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the other person should not have left, I believe your sister is mostly at fault legally.
From to this page, "According to Section 44 of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act,
a driver is required to stop at a yellow light if they are able to make the stop safely.
In the city where I live, there was several traffic lights with a red light camera.

Local drivers were so scare to get flashed by the red light camera that many drivers started to slam on their brakes as soon as the light was yellow.
(There was several comments that the yellow duration was changed to 3 seconds from 4 seconds to make more profits.)

This in fact created a lot of rear end collisions, until there was a fatal collusion caused by
a local bus who was not able to stop fast enough and kill the driver of the car who stoped when the light was yellow.

Since then, ALL the red ligh cameras have been removed.

Honestly, when driving in a city I'm more focus to look for the traffic ahead of me than looking in my mirror
unless I need to make a turn or to change lane.

Note: You need more and more to look forward in front of you BECAUSE there are so many Uber or Lift drivers who stop suddently everywhere
and put their flashing light and they don't care if there are other cars behind them,
even in narrow streets with double yellow line, so you cannot pass them.

Last edited:
Any time I'm about to stop suddenly, including at a traffic light, I look behind me. It's a reflexive part of the process. I do it early enough so that I can drive off the road if I need to get out of the way. In the case here, there was nobody behind at all.
Anyway, after looking up the law in Ontario, and it looks like maybe the police were doing the OP a favor by not looking into it. That's all I'm sayin'. :)

I used a high end video editing app to scrub through all 3 videos frame by frame and unfortunately there isn’t a good shot of the plate. There are several frames that should be good shots of the plate, but because of the temporal encoding those frames are smeared or pixelated and there just isn’t a way to "enhance" them like you see on TV.

You reminded me of the super-spiffy low light photos that Google is able to render by combining frames together. OP's wish does not seem so different, at least in principle

I kind of looked at that, because some portions of the plate are clearer in certain frames, but even zoomed in looking very closely I couldn’t see any of the digits clean enough to get a better guess that what's already been posted.

Google's Night Sight is amazing, but it also has its limits. While it does a good job reducing noise, the interpolation does make the photo overall a bit soft/blurry, which for the current application of trying to get a sharper read on a license plate isn't going to help much, unfortunately. (I have a Pixel and Pixel 3a and use Night Sight regularly)

Our brains are still way better at interpreting imagery than any machine. If there's not enough quality in the image for our brains, chances are today's AI is not going to do better. And definitely no amount of post-processing is going to do better. The CSI-style image enhancements you see on TV are total BS.

Here's my best attempt at cleaning up the image with photoshop....

upload_2019-9-13_7-50-33.png

LXZT 330 is my best guess.
LXZN

Last edited:
Google's Night Sight is amazing, but it also has its limits. While it does a good job reducing noise, the interpolation does make the photo overall a bit soft/blurry, which for the current application of trying to get a sharper read on a license plate isn't going to help much, unfortunately. (I have a Pixel and Pixel 3a and use Night Sight regularly)

Our brains are still way better at interpreting imagery than any machine. If there's not enough quality in the image for our brains, chances are today's AI is not going to do better. And definitely no amount of post-processing is going to do better. The CSI-style image enhancements you see on TV are total BS.

Here's my best attempt at cleaning up the image with photoshop....

View attachment 454098

LXZT 330 is my best guess.
LXZN

Plate sequences are up to the C's at them moment... Unless she paid $$$ for get a vanity plate. A series is the most likely.

The police take hit and runs very seriously. File a police report at the collision centre and give the information to your insurance within 24 hours of the accident. They'll do the rest - Heck, take this info from the forum to your insurance and their investigator will pull the licenses of all the Hyundais in the province/Brampton and do their own process of elimination - CSI/How to get away with Murder style.

I had someone hit and run me and luckily my friends were witnesses and had their plate and colour/car style (SUV). Ended up with a 1 month repair.

Keep calm and go through the process with your insurance. They'll get her :)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Looking at the right repeater video, it appears the other driver stopped and attempted to have a conversation with your sister and possibly motioned to pull over to the side. It’s not clear what happened from there.

Well, that was my brother in-law speaking to the other driver. He asked her to pull into a nearby plaza to not block traffic and she agreed. But instead of pulling in there, the other driver just took off and left.

Yes, I do acknowledge that it would have been better to have stopped on the yellow (they did make it pass, see img attached). Maybe there was a car behind, or more likely there was the desire to "beat the light", I don't know. I think it will be a lessoned learned as it is a lot of hassle to get the car fixed even if insurance pays for it and no one is hurt.

Thanks everyone for the response. I'll tell them to contact the insurance company and police with the suggested plates and see if something can be found. Accidents and mistakes happen, but you can't just run away like that.

Yellow.JPG

Attachments

• Yellow.JPG
    Yellow.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: kavyboy
The Hyundai driver's expression is priceless.

Having said that, I'm with C141medic and kavyboy. Your sister was driving thru a yellow, and it seems clear there was a vehicle already turning in front of her. When the front video starts, you can see the light changes to yellow just as you hit 2 secs. Your sister doesn't even cross the pedestrian walkway and enter the intersection until the timeline has passed the 5 sec mark. I counted 137 frames, or 3.8 secs from when the light turned yellow. 3.8 secs. I would be worried if I were the driver entering the intersection 3.8 secs after the light turned yellow.

Screenshot 2019-09-13 13.52.59.jpg

As your sister crossed the pedestrian crosswalk and starts to enter the intersection, the Hyundai has already crossed one lane and is about to enter your sister's lane. The light actually turns RED 7 frames after your sister crossed the pedestrian crosswalk. How many fps is the video? My software says 36fps. That's around 2/10ths of a sec. She's barely into the intersection and it's already red. I'd be very worried about who the police or insurance would find at fault here.

Screenshot 2019-09-13 13.42.24.jpg

Not only that, but if you watch the front video carefully, you actually see that your sister notices the Hyundai turning in front of her BEFORE she enters the intersection. How? She's starting to turn to the right, before she crossed the pedestrian crosswalk.

It's hard to illustrate, you have to watch the video, but this is the moment when her car starts to veer away, well before she enters the intersection. I'd be extremely worried about who is at fault here. The Hyundai is already in the intersection and your sister has yet to enter:

Screenshot 2019-09-13 13.40.22.jpg

Of course, that's no excuse for the Hyundai driver leaving the scene, but that's a separate issue.

Having said that, I'm with C141medic and kavyboy. Your sister was driving thru a yellow, and it seems clear there was a vehicle already turning in front of her. When the front video starts, you can see the light changes to yellow just as you hit 2 secs. Your sister doesn't even cross the pedestrian walkway and enter the intersection until the timeline has passed the 5 sec mark. I counted 137 frames, or 3.8 secs from when the light turned yellow. 3.8 secs. I would be worried if I were the driver entering the intersection 3.8 secs after the light turned yellow.

View attachment 454239

As your sister crossed the pedestrian crosswalk and starts to enter the intersection, the Hyundai has already crossed one lane and is about to enter your sister's lane. The light actually turns RED 7 frames after your sister crossed the pedestrian crosswalk. How many fps is the video? My software says 36fps. That's around 2/10ths of a sec. She's barely into the intersection and it's already red. I'd be very worried about who the police or insurance would find at fault here.

View attachment 454234

Not only that, but if you watch the front video carefully, you actually see that your sister notices the Hyundai turning in front of her BEFORE she enters the intersection. How? She's starting to turn to the right, before she crossed the pedestrian crosswalk.

It's hard to illustrate, you have to watch the video, but this is the moment when her car starts to veer away, well before she enters the intersection. I'd be extremely worried about who is at fault here. The Hyundai is already in the intersection and your sister has yet to enter:

View attachment 454236

Of course, that's no excuse for the Hyundai driver leaving the scene, but that's a separate issue.

I went to Vancouver once in my car and called my insurance company ahead of time to warn them. (actually had to pay a few bucks for a supplementary policy to leave the country) One of the things they specifically warned me about is that in Canada, or at least Vancouver, it was really common for people to run red lights. So apparently this is just how it works there.

That being said there have been many times in my life where I was focused more on the traffic around me than a light and when I did finally notice the light it was a choice between slamming on the brakes or going through a really late yellow. I've made both decisions and neither is good. Luckily it's never caused me to be in an accident though.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
"According to Section 44 of Ontario's Highway Traffic Act, a driver is required to stop at a yellow light if they are able to make the stop safely. Otherwise, they are directed to drive through the intersection using caution. ... When a driver recklessly enters an intersection, they put other drivers on the road in danger."

That's apparently the law regarding yellow lights in Ontario. I'm not sure but perhaps showing the insurance company the video might backfire on your sister. It's obvious she could have easily stopped at the yellow light. And honestly I'm not sure if she makes it into the intersection before the red light appeared. It doesn't look like she did. The police or insurance company can claim that your sister was driving recklessly. Seems like both parties are at fault here. But there's no excuse for the woman driving off like scumbag.

I went to Vancouver once in my car and called my insurance company ahead of time to warn them. (actually had to pay a few bucks for a supplementary policy to leave the country) One of the things they specifically warned me about is that in Canada, or at least Vancouver, it was really common for people to run red lights. So apparently this is just how it works there.

That being said there have been many times in my life where I was focused more on the traffic around me than a light and when I did finally notice the light it was a choice between slamming on the brakes or going through a really late yellow. I've made both decisions and neither is good. Luckily it's never caused me to be in an accident though.
Ha, yeah. I grew up north of Montreal. And my dad told me that red lights were optional late at night. Of, course we lived in a small vacation town of 6000 or so, so very little traffic at night.

Growing up in Vermont, we often said (with a fair degree of irony) that "Stop signs with white borders are optional." As 'proof', folks pointed to one custom-made Stop sign someone errected on their private property that had no such borders as the exception proving the rule.

I'm not sure but perhaps showing the insurance company the video might backfire on your sister.

Cat is perhaps out of the bag now, of course, but there's no reason you'd have to show the insurance company the video right away. All you need is the vehicle ID, and appropriate still camera captures. Of course at some point if it goes that far you might be forced to provide the video, but I don't see that it is required to provide video to identify the hit-and-run party. It's up to the insurance companies and the courts and the parties involved to determine how far they want to go to figure out who was really at fault.

I guess if I were the OP, given the uncertainty in who was at fault, I would not have posted the videos, but posted the stills. It's up to the insurance companies & the police to figure out who was at fault, not people on internet forums.

Putting aside the whole issue of the lights, it's unfortunate the OP's sister didn't make full use of her brakes, but hindsight is 20/20 I guess. Seemed like it could have been avoided, though speeds are tough to judge in these videos. The type of accident that if FSD ever comes to fruition will be easily (?) avoided - again putting aside the whole issue of light timing.

Hope they can ID the other vehicle. Nothing to add on that front. Guess I'd go with AXZN-330 or AXZN-390

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
My sister's Model 3 was involved in a hit and run accident today. Brampton Ontario Canada.

Her car was going straight through a light (yellow) and someone turning left hit her. Told the driver to pull off to the side to exchange info but she took off instead. Dashcam was active but there wasn't a good shot of the license plate. Can kind of read it but not enough.

Insurance will take care of the damage eventually, but I am really pissed that someone just drove off like that. Went to the police station but they don't seem to care much. Would want to ID her license plate so the police would actually go after her.

I think it ends in 330 or 390 but can't read the rest. Does anyone some forensic or image manipulation skills that can help?

Front / L / R Repeater video clips can be found here:
Model 3 Accident - Google Drive

looks like Bigfoot driving

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic

View attachment 454239

View attachment 454234

View attachment 454236

Under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act - if you're turning left and get into an accident; it's usually your fault as it is written "Must make sure intersection is clear of oncoming traffic before proceeding".

The Hyundai is more responsible for this accident... she knew it... and left the scene in a panic.

• Disagree
Reactions: Dan84