Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit&Run. Totaled or Repairable? A bad day for my P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, I don't think you are looking for an M5, I think it is a regular 5-series BMW:
The piece of front spoiler you found at the scene and the video footage matches a 5-series BMW, not the M5:
Pretty much what others are saying. Nice detailed analysis!

In case it wasn't clear, a 5-series with the M-Sport package and an M5 are different things. The photos in your comparison are the standard 535i, which is slightly different than what was suggested. The most noticeable difference between the two being the wheels, but you can't really make those out in the video.

Pretty much what others are saying. Nice detailed analysis!

In case it wasn't clear, a 5-series with the M-Sport package and an M5 are different things. The photos in your comparison are the standard 535i, which is slightly different than what was suggested. The most noticeable difference between the two being the wheels, but you can't really make those out in the video.

Couple more details: it could be either 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 535d, 535xd, 550i, 550xi or even ActiveHybrid 5. All of them have 3 "lines", essentially option packages. They are: default, "Luxury" line and "M Sport" line. This is definitely NOT a "M Sport" line. Take a look at the front bumper grille piece they left on the scene. If it has chrome band around its perimeter, it's "Luxury" line. Otherwise, it'a basic, default line.

Regarding two grille pieces manufactured at different times: the difference is too big for both of them to be installed at the factory. BMW factories do not stock parts for more than a couple of days (just-in-time manufacturing). This means that the car was made shortly after 1/14, most likely within 1-2 months after. It was later damaged and repaired some time after 7/14. Should narrow the search.

Good luck finding the perps!

a 5-series with the M-Sport package and an M5 are different things.

Thanks for the clarification; somehow I missed this distinction.
However, the M Sport package has a front spoiler similar to the M5, therefore according to my uneducated guess this was neither an M Sport nor an M5.

M-Sport Spoiler.png

- - - Updated - - -

it could be either 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 535d, 535xd, 550i, 550xi or even ActiveHybrid 5. All of them have 3 "lines", essentially option packages. They are: default, "Luxury" line and "M Sport" line. This is definitely NOT a "M Sport" line. Take a look at the front bumper grille piece they left on the scene. If it has chrome band around its perimeter, it's "Luxury" line. Otherwise, it'a basic, default line.

Agreed. Here is the front spoiler of the luxury line (at least the 2015 model):

Luxury Line Spoiler.png

Turn around the plastic piece; I don't think this was a luxury line, but rather a regular 5-series, albeit it could have been any of the ones listed above.

The parts you're holding in your hand are called "Grill, air intake, open", both left and right. The lack of chrome on the top and the specific kind of mid-line chrome part kink indicates that it came off of NON-"Luxury Line" (sometimes called "Convenience Line") BMW 5-series model years 2013-2015. Here are the parts (position "3" in both pages):
Left: Trim, decor elements, front. Fits: BMW 535d Sedan | Northwest BMW
Right: Trim, decor elements, front. Fits: BMW 535d Sedan | Northwest BMW
The part numbers are 51117331729 for the left and 51117331730 for the right sides.

I have no idea where the weight-looking parts came from.

The BMW that hit you is obviously still drivable and is still worth ~$55-60K before the damage. I'm sure they're going to be fixing it, they will need a body to do the work. I would call around: chances are high it's being fixed somewhere.

Curious: is police involved?

I agree - I have a lot of confidence in BPD actually - they are very good. @Dsm363 we have a ton of cameras in the area as this is about 3 blocks from where the marathon bombing happened in 2013. Since then almost every intersection has cameras. I do not know if they are only real-time or also dvr.

Would be nice if the police can request BMW to alert them of who has ordered those parts since the accident happened.

If the police really wanted to do it, I bet they could find the idiot who caused the crash.

Last edited:
IANAL, but if I read the MA laws correctly, the hit and run driver committed a misdemeanor punishable by up to $200 fine and 2 years in jail, plus loss of license.

I would think the police would want to be involved...

EDIT - although, now that I think about it, it may be hard to make the charges stick if they can't prove who was driving the car.

I agree on who was driving the car - that may be difficult if they don't have clear footage. Given it was at night that could be part of the challenge.

IANAL, but if I read the MA laws correctly, the hit and run driver committed a misdemeanor punishable by up to $200 fine and 2 years in jail, plus loss of license.

I would think the police would want to be involved...

EDIT - although, now that I think about it, it may be hard to make the charges stick if they can't prove who was driving the car.

I agree - I have a lot of confidence in BPD actually - they are very good. @Dsm363 we have a ton of cameras in the area as this is about 3 blocks from where the marathon bombing happened in 2013. Since then almost every intersection has cameras. I do not know if they are only real-time or also dvr.

I would guess that almost all of them are recorded and kept for at least a short time. Worth asking to see that video before it is erased. Good luck.