Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit something on the road damaged wheel and tire.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I have a question. I was on my way home when I encountered a piece of metal that a car hit and I swerved too much and just barely hit it. I don't know why the link wont work but if you want to see I can try and DM you. however my question is would I still be able to drive it with the gash on the tire along with the dent on the wheel? How much would it be to repair. Should I go through insurance or would it be better for me to just pay out of pocket? Thank you for the help. Much love Tesla Fam!

20220405_144438.jpg

Last edited:
If the tire still holds air, maybe it might be okay to drive for a short distance. With the bent wheel, you might feel sore vibration while driving, and I definitely would not drive fast with it.

As it has sidewall damage, the tire would have to be replaced. Replacing the entire wheel/tire combo might put you in the $600-700 range, so depends on your insurance deductible, it may not be worth it if your deductible is =>$500.

Reactions: ZeMKChen
Upvote 0
No fixing that, wheel and tire are both done. I also wouldn’t drive on it. Probably looking at $700-800+. $Unless you can find a used matching wheel+tire+TPMS.

How many miles on the tires?

I got hit by a rock slide last fall and this wheel was unrepairable. I submitted to insurance since it also took out both passenger doors, hood, passenger side front and rear quarter panels.

Attachments

• DC896AD5-AB1A-44C4-A286-4707F9AEDF77.jpeg
    DC896AD5-AB1A-44C4-A286-4707F9AEDF77.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 460
Reactions: ZeMKChen and CSOTH7
Upvote 0
No fixing that, wheel and tire are both done. I also wouldn’t drive on it. Probably looking at $700-800+. $Unless you can find a used matching wheel+tire+TPMS.

How many miles on the tires?

I got hit by a rock slide last fall and this wheel was unrepairable.
13k on the tires thankfully so I might just replace all 4 as well...
but in regards to the tires which tires should I replace them with? I live in San Diego.
damn that damage doesn't even look bad that is so sad!

Upvote 0
Yea I think tire and wheel are both done. Also agree Discount Tire will probably be your best bet for in stock tires just make sure the store you go to ahas experience lifting Teslas as to not damage the battery. Discount Tire also will honor treadwear warranties on tires you buy from them.

Upvote 0
as for the wheel - not sure you can just purchase 1 outside of tesla sales

try searching craigslist to see if someone local is just selling a single rim - but usually its in a set

EDIT: just searched locally in LA and someone in encino selling a set of 4 wheels (no tires) for $450
I got one from a used wheel dealer in CA. Like new paid $250.

Upvote 0
Check ebay if you've no other source.
I'll see how much it is at a dealer first. I looked at ebay and it said 319 a tire and that is before shipping along with taking atleast a week to arrive.

Edit: I've found some 2018 tesla model 3 tires but I don't know if those will work. I also have no experience in replacing a wheel and tire with a TPMS. Any tips if it does work with my 2021 model 3?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll see how much it is at a dealer first. I looked at ebay and it said 319 a tire and that is before shipping along with taking atleast a week to arrive.

Edit: I've found some 2018 tesla model 3 tires but I don't know if those will work. I also have no experience in replacing a wheel and tire with a TPMS. Any tips if it does work with my 2021 model 3?
What are you trying to buy, a new wheel rim or a whole wheel+tire?

I saw this one in Downey, CA. It's a later revised wheel and unless I'm mistaken it should match up with yours. If you did go the replace whole wheel + tire route, you'd need to take it to a tire shop, pay the 25 bux or so for them to swap TPMS and do a balance.

Upvote 0
Just got an estimate from tesla.. 650 just for the wheel rim, 285 for wheel, and 107 for labor fees this is just straight up robbery...
OEM rims are always expensive from every car brand I’ve ever owned, $650 doesn’t surprise me, my wife cracked a rim on her Audi ~15 years ago that was $1200. $285 for the tire is reasonable, is same price as tire rack many times dealers are 25% or more above tire rack.

Depending on how much your deductible is may be worth submitting to insurance. Another thing to consider is how long can your car be down. When my 3 got hit by the rock slide it was in the body shop for almost 3 months.

Is this the rim you have?

Upvote 0