Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit the Carpool Lane Barrier while in AutoPilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model X. Today while driving in the carpool lane on autopilot my car suddenly jerked a little bit to the left and smashed into the barrier, ripping off the left side mirror and breaking the small window behind it. My hands were on the wheel and I was alert. Does anyone have experience with this while in autopilot? I have the footage from the dashcam and assume that Tesla can look and see that the driver assist was engaged. Not sure whether to start with insurance, the body shop or Tesla. Thanks for any input.
09D28C55-61CD-41A8-8AD4-C42F2DE45063.jpeg
6D34E582-84BA-4C3D-967A-6DC0FE797A5C.jpeg
13EE32B0-B48B-4168-82C5-82ED37A810BD.jpeg
F7542FD6-E34F-412E-AEF3-2E25B453646E.jpeg

I attached some photos.

I have a 2018 Model X. Today while driving in the carpool lane on autopilot my car suddenly jerked a little bit to the left and smashed into the barrier, ripping off the left side mirror and breaking the small window behind it. My hands were on the wheel and I was alert. Does anyone have experience with this while in autopilot? I have the footage from the dashcam and assume that Tesla can look and see that the driver assist was engaged. Not sure whether to start with insurance, the body shop or Tesla. Thanks for any input. View attachment 778163View attachment 778164View attachment 778165View attachment 778166
I attached some photos.
Call your insurance company or a body shop. The accident was your fault.

Upvote 0
Thanks for any input.

Since you joined here to post this, and are "asking for input", here is another vote for "forget trying to get someone other than you to be liable for this, and proceed with contacting your insurance, selecting a body shop etc".

Whether your hands were on the wheel or not, you were alert or not, or the car was on autopilot or not is irrelevant to who is responsible (you). The part of your post that says "I have the dashcam video and I assume tesla can see if autopilot was engaged" intimates that you think that has some bearing on whom is responsible, and it doesnt.

Upvote 0
...Does anyone have experience with this while in autopilot?...

This has happened before since the first generation of Autopilot that was first produced in 2014, so autosteer can still be unpredictable after 8 years on the market.

It's "beta" and thus, so far, no one has ever won an Autopilot lawsuit in court.

Upvote 0
Personally I wouldn’t claim it on your insurance unless you have sheet metal damage… looks like the mirror, small corner glass, and two trim pieces over wheel wells need to be replaced…. That has to be cheaper in the long run vs increase in your policy cost. I would call Tesla and alter them with video… maybe they’ll show some good will… nothing to lose.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Upvote 0
Since you joined here to post this, and are "asking for input", here is another vote for "forget trying to get someone other than you to be liable for this, and proceed with contacting your insurance, selecting a body shop etc".

Whether your hands were on the wheel or not, you were alert or not, or the car was on autopilot or not is irrelevant to who is responsible (you). The part of your post that says "I have the dashcam video and I assume tesla can see if autopilot was engaged" intimates that you think that has some bearing on whom is responsible, and it doesnt.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Glad it wasn't worse, it easily could have been!

I would be curious to see the video. Wonder what the lane markings looked like.
Thank you. I’ll check the video again, it was on the 405 in Long Beach, there is a spot just south of the Cherry exit where it is extremely narrow, but I drive that freeway daily and yesterday was the first time my car didn’t read the lane, I guess.

Upvote 0
@DrDublin I had a chance to look over the photos on a computer and I the damage doesn't look too bad. New door glass, mirror, and fender trim. I'm not sure how the mirror attaches to the door, so that's kind of up in the air. It also looks like there's a damage to the rear wheel well body, but it's hard to tell.

Upvote 0
That really sucks and had to be freaky. At high speeds, narrow circumstances, there’s just only so much you can do. Posting the video may help other people see how quickly things can go badly. I’m guessing the jerk was similar to a blowout where it takes you to the side and it’s going to take you a 1/2 second to start compensating. Glad you were alright and the damage doesn’t look too bad. As others have mentioned this would probably just be on your insurance as a driver accident.

Reactions: DrDublin
Upvote 0
Since you joined here to post this

Says they joined in 2019. You sure you've got your dates right? There's quite a lot of talk in the industry right now about blaming drivers when these systems make sudden bizarre movements like jerking into the path of oncoming traffic in FSD or hitting clearly visible sides of the highway on AP. This has happened multiple times, and the only response from so many of the people here is to ridicule the person and not consider how poor the software is behaving.

There's regulation coming. Just you wait. Tesla's AP behavior has a long list of these problems, and they're only making it worse. The fact they're claiming they're going to go to the FSD "vision only" software for all of AP soon is going to make this much worse very soon.

Upvote 0