Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch and Bike Rack installed on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to see someone putting a rack on their Model 3, I've been wanting to do this since I got my car in December 2018! I also like the hitches that are hidden, great way to go.

Since Tesla has a hitch option available for Model 3 in Europe, I was hoping they would release a hitch for use in USA/Canada too. In Europe I hear the hitch must be ordered with the car, some suspect this may be due to European regulations that have some requirements that a hitch must come with the car...hoping the rack will be available in USA as an order-able part.

Curious did you consider the 1up or Kuat racks before going with the Swagman? Just wondering if Swagman offers you something unique...?

In my area (Southern California), I see tons of 1up and Kuat. The 1up is the only rack I'm aware of that supports a single bike and there is an attachment when you want to carry 2 bikes. When used with a single bike and no bike is attached I've heard from other Model 3 owners it doesn't interfere with the sensors -- if this is true, I'd keep it on the car most of the time. The Kuat I like because some models have a built-in bike rack, not sure if it blocks the sensors.

I have 3 friends with the 1up (not Model 3 owners), they run them all the time in single bike mode and slap on the attachment when they need it to carry 2 bikes. It keeps the height of the rack low so its easier to access the trunk or hatch. I did a 480 mile road trip with 2 bikes on my friend's 1up, it worked great. Only thing is he had to tighten this knob to stop the rack from vibrating in the receiver every once in a while.

Your needs likely differ from mine, I know the electric bikes are heavier. Really nice setup, enjoy!

Eco-dude is concerned about a few kilowatts due to aero and weight, then puts batteries and electric motors on two bicycles....
Not me. I have normal bicycles. But... If I want to take a trip from Winnipeg, I have to use destination chargers until I get near Minneapolis - hence ever kilometer matters. If bikes on a rack seriously cut down on mileage then it would be simpler to rent bikes in Minneapolis. Based on the cost of the hitch alone, it would take several such trips to make it cheaper to buy the hitch and rack. Those of you in Superchargerland would have less concerns about this.

B8EF9FD1-7BCD-4445-A67B-3BB1D4C44B96.jpeg
6D6E9989-500B-4D2A-A55F-4F6D02AF52A8.jpeg
Nice Work!
When you have a chance, please post a picture with the bike rack removed. I'd like to see what the hitch looks like when not used. Thanks!

I have been considering installing this hitch myself, I've watched the video and it seems straight forward. How difficult is it to remove all the trim, bumper etc. Did you take any photos of the work and could you post them if you did. Your US to CDN figure seems high as the current US price is $538. Did you get the 2" or 1.5"

Thanks for all your details.

2019 Model 3 LR RWD White exterior & interior
Not difficult at all. It comes with both sizes. I purchased the ball hitch and wiring harness package so the price is higher.

No need for switch on Model 3. It backs up with no problems. Camera is obscured but the old fashioned side view mirrors will help guide you.

That’s because Model 3 lacks (or poorly implements) that capability right now IMHO. It should not let you back into brick walls, my “inferior” Jeep will stop the vehicle. It has saved a few mishaps. You would think the Tesla would too. Hopefully if and when they implement it, it’s defeat-able.

You also need to be careful if a sensor is blocked it might cause some functionality to be temporarily disabled like LDA/ELDA. Even if not directly used it might be dumb if the self check fails on any ultra sonic sensor.

It might be perfectly fine. Now and in the future. But I was just saying it’s something to be aware of and keep an eye on. And the post I replied to raises a good concern to keep in mind.

I hope to heck they start using the rear camera and rear sensors way more than they do now while driving (like how safe is it to brake hard). Perhaps when HW3 is fully deployed we’ll see more. Since Tesla also offers the hitch now they should have options to deal with trailers or bike racks blocking camera or sensors. Like my Jeep is supposed to disable rear ultraSonics automatically when I plug in a trailer but it does not sense it consistently. Luckily there is a manual override.

Reactions: corlaandstan
Since the M3 doesn’t have trailer mode do the rear proximity sensors show an obstruction present all the time? We have an M3 and an MX and the MX shows rear proximity alerts with bikes or skis on the tow hitch rack when trailer mode is not engaged - including beeping at you when trying to back up.

Reactions: CharleyBC
I just got the ECO stealth hitch supplied and installed at Rack Attack Toronto for $1,169 + tax including the cover. BTW, the cover snaps onto the frame with magnets, super convenient. The price is very reasonable considering buying the hitch + cover from the website will cost around $700 USD including shipping (not custom).

2018-2019 Tesla Model 3 Stealth EcoHitch
Tesla Model 3 Undercover - XA2002

Attachments

• IMG_20191009_140623.jpg
    IMG_20191009_140623.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: RedSafari
No, they did everything. That was the supplied and installed cost. I tried it out a couple of days ago when it was like 17 degree outside. Pretty good!
Did you bolt the receiver on yourself?
I have the eco hitch also but have not put the receiver on yet. My 2020 build came with a removable access panel so no need for the magnetic one. I guess this is new change to recent M3's.

Did any of you guys who installed this look into the revised hitch cover from Tesla to retrofit to your older bumpers? Apparently this can be installed easily to allow for a pure OEM appearance and not have an aftermarket hitch cover. The new part is the one that comes with the newer builds of Model 3s since the hitch was offered as an OEM solution in Europe.

Did any of you guys who installed this look into the revised hitch cover from Tesla to retrofit to your older bumpers? Apparently this can be installed easily to allow for a pure OEM appearance and not have an aftermarket hitch cover. The new part is the one that comes with the newer builds of Model 3s since the hitch was offered as an OEM solution in Europe.
Would that involve a whole new rear bumper?

Would that involve a whole new rear bumper?
If I’m understanding it correctly, the lower apron part of the bumper can be replaced with the newer part which has the removable hitch door built in. I haven’t done enough research to find the part numbers and any instances of it being installed.

EDIT: I just decided to go check the parts catalog. It is this piece:
521AFD5B-555E-475E-831A-B3136901C724.jpeg

Unfortunately the diagram shows the original style image instead of the one with the hitch door cutout. We’d probably have to contact Tesla for clarification.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC