Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch Cover Modification.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got tired of prying and fiddling around trying to remove the dumb hitch cover design. After cutting off most of the retention clips one can find on the net, I drilled a 7/8" hole on one side. Jammed in a rubber cork/plug by pushing and twisting so it is really secure. I just put my fingers around the part of the plug which sticks out about 3/8" and pull and the cover comes out while the plug remains in place. Works very well while retaining the full enclosure. Even if you screw up, a new cover is supposed to be $15 @ Tesla.

Got tired of prying and fiddling around trying to remove the dumb hitch cover design. After cutting off most of the retention clips one can find on the net, I drilled a 7/8" hole on one side. Jammed in a rubber cork/plug by pushing and twisting so it is really secure. I just put my fingers around the part of the plug which sticks out about 3/8" and pull and the cover comes out while the plug remains in place. Works very well while retaining the full enclosure. Even if you screw up, a new cover is supposed to be $15 @ Tesla.

I like that setup, easier to pull on and off and really cheap to do.

I ended up buying the Torqueliftcentral mod kit that is a bit expensive for what it is but uses a super strong magnet screwed to a extension bracket that reaches the inside of the hitch receiver. The mod kit has one cut all of the wheels plastic clips from the hitch cover. The magnet is almost too strong, but the kit at least includes a really solid metal handle to grab from the outside.

I added some pics. Yes my car is dirty, and no I don’t care

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 160
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited: