Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch - Curt Brand 2020 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased a Curt Hitch (for bike rake) from UHaul. Model 13449

We installed last weekend and could not get a good tight fit when reconnecting the bumper sides after many hours. On Tuesday we took to a certified Tesla Auto Shop (3rd party) as we assumed we had done something wrong. They looked at our clip connections/bolts and said we did everything correctly but would take bumper off and try themselves. In the end they had the same result and questioned whether the bumper purchased was the correct one for our 2020 Model.

Has anyone successfully installed this model of hitch on a 2020 Model 3?

We will be reaching out to Curt to try to resolve as Uhaul only will offer a refund with no solution. In the end we want a hitch installed (sooner rather than later) but need to confirm that someone has had success with a 2020 and the brand. We are located in Vancouver, BC area.

Attachments

• Gap.jpg
    Gap.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 242
I installed this exact same hitch over the previous weekend as well. Waited nearly 7 weeks for it to arrive. Anyhow my first attempt I got the same result as you. On the second attempt I determined that the bumper was obstructing the curt in 2 places. So I peeled the bumper off again and used my oscillating tool to trim off the plastic part. You can use a dremel instead if you have that on hand. See photo for the parts I removed. Sorry I didn’t take a photo of the inside of the bumper. Anyways its 2 areas directly at the back of the bumper where the white plastic connects to the black plastic beside the bolts. 1 on each side. Once removed everything fit much easier and the panel gaps were much reduced. Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I installed this exact same hitch over the previous weekend as well. Waited nearly 7 weeks for it to arrive. Anyhow my first attempt I got the same result as you. On the second attempt I determined that the bumper was obstructing the curt in 2 places. So I peeled the bumper off again and used my oscillating tool to trim off the plastic part. You can use a dremel instead if you have that on hand. See photo for the parts I removed. Sorry I didn’t take a photo of the inside of the bumper. Anyways its 2 areas directly at the back of the bumper where the white plastic connects to the black plastic beside the bolts. 1 on each side. Once removed everything fit much easier and the panel gaps were much reduced. Hope that helps.
2CD453C3-4CE0-4191-AE74-93923B7D54A0.jpeg

Update - Curt rep called today and said that engineers would be "making" a proper hitch for 2020 and keeping us in the loop. They have reviewed our notes and photos and understand current model does not fit a 2020 Tesla Model 3. So today... we embark on removing the bumper, and uninstalling the poor fitting hitch, reinstalling the bumper and lights etc and will then return for refund to Uhaul. So no hitch for us in the immediate... but at some point in the future ... Curt will be working directly with a 2020 Model 3 and engineering a Hitch that fits properly and we will be provided one.

Bottom line do not buy a Curt Model 13449 for a 2020 Tesla Model 3 until modifications and updates have been completed... Will update this post when Curt has been back in touch and has manufactured a hitch that fits... Its July 18... I'm hopeful that we will see something this summer???

• Informative
Curt Hitch Model 13449 - update

We uninstalled the hitch and returned for a full refund from Uhaul. Lots of work nothing to show for it.

Last conversation with local Curt rep was on August 13th - they have nothing new for us. Seems it's not a high priority for engineers as they don't sell many hitches for Teslas... I'd like to suggest they won't sell anymore if they don't have a product that fits without modification.

His last suggestion was Rack Stop in North Vancouver could install the hitch with minimal grind on the hitch. Not a fix but a workaround.

Covid summer and no bike rack for us.

Update - March 1, 2021

Curt Rep came through. Engineers updated the hitch to solve the fit problem. Today I went to Burnaby Hitch and the new hitch was installed. Curt rep was onsite to watch the install. Installed and fits... very happy with the resolution. If anyone is considering the Curt Hitch for 2020 Tesla Model 3, be sure the date code of manufacture is November 20, 2020 or later. Model number has stayed the same. Model# 13449.