Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch for bike rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Give that many owners of Teslas ride bikes why hasn't Tesla come out with or partnered with a firm for a simple hidden trailer hitch for a bike rack. Something nice and aluminum and maybe even a sleek aluminum rack.
I know you can get the rooftop rack, but being short and not really having the strength to hoist my mountain bike above my head without it scratching my car on the way up or down makes a roof rack impractical and dangerous. Whereas a rear hitch rack is easy.

I have to believe this would benefit so many people who don't want to dirty their car by trying to put it inside. I heard Torklift makes a hitch, but no one around here wants to install it.

Give that many owners of Teslas ride bikes why hasn't Tesla come out with or partnered with a firm for a simple hidden trailer hitch for a bike rack. Something nice and aluminum and maybe even a sleek aluminum rack.

The likely reason is lawyers. If Tesla put a hitch on--even if Tesla says it's specifically for non-trailer use--Tesla would still be liable if someone towed a trailer. The reason for this is the way the courts and legal system work. The questions asked by the court are, "Would a reasonable person think that someone would at sometime attach a trailer to the hitch?" and "Who has the deepest pockets?" Because the answers are "yes" and "Tesla", Tesla is still on the hook. By not supplying a hitch they are saved a whole lot of legal grief.

If the legal system was different and the question was "Is is reasonable to blame the manufacturer when the operator ignores the instructions?" then it would be different. Of course, Tesla can perhaps get a favourable judgement if they spend enough money on legal fees--although it's not a sure thing--but the laws are written mainly to maximize lawyer income because many politicians are lawyers. The Founding Fathers had a good idea when they said lawyers can't be politicians because as officers of the court it's a conflict of interest to have those than enforce the laws also make the laws. However, that got overturned shortly before the Civil War and we've had lawyer problems ever since.

So get the Torklift.