Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch Mount Bike Rack Ground Clearance Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fellow Model 3 owners

I've recently installed a hitch (CURT 13449) on my beloved model 3. After putting my old Yakima double down bike rack on it, bike rack sits pretty low. I used to have a SUV so no problem at all putting four bikes on it, however, by looking at the bike rack, I'm a little worried that the rack will scrape on the road and eventually damage the structure of my model 3. I measure the length from the ground to the bottom of the rack, 8"; from centre of the rear tire to end of the rack (both measured on the ground) , 37". by some calculation, it sounds like the bottom of the bike rack will touch the ground if the head goes up 12 degree.
hitch.png

Question:

1. is this calculation correct?
2. should I change my bike rack to the one that has some rise on the shank, what's your recommandation?
3. for the ones who installed hitch and bike rack, can you please share you experience on this and measure the two length as above pictured?

Lastly, here's how it looks like in the real world

IMG_7703.jpg

Thanks for your feedback!

obviously, I messed rear overhang distance with the total rear length with the hitch when I check the manual. Hence, I redraw the diagram. This time I factor in the front wheel. Seems like you'll have to raise the front wheel to almost 19" to bottom out the hitch. Idea?

hitch2.png

I use a 1up USA rack which has a slope up to solve this vary problem. Most of the low mount tray style racks do this. It seems like your rack sticks pretty far from the bumper, maybe consider cutting it shorter and re-drilling the hitch pin hole?

I use a 1up USA rack which has a slope up to solve this vary problem. Most of the low mount tray style racks do this. It seems like your rack sticks pretty far from the bumper, maybe consider cutting it shorter and re-drilling the hitch pin hole?

thanks for your reply. I was trying not to use tray type bike rack to avoid increased area possibly touch the ground. Did you ever take 1up for a road trip and have the rack scrape the ground? Thanks!

thanks for your reply. I was trying not to use tray type bike rack to avoid increased area possibly touch the ground. Did you ever take 1up for a road trip and have the rack scrape the ground? Thanks!
Hi Fellow Model 3 owners

I've recently installed a hitch (CURT 13449) on my beloved model 3. After putting my old Yakima double down bike rack on it, bike rack sits pretty low. I used to have a SUV so no problem at all putting four bikes on it, however, by looking at the bike rack, I'm a little worried that the rack will scrape on the road and eventually damage the structure of my model 3. I measure the length from the ground to the bottom of the rack, 8"; from centre of the rear tire to end of the rack (both measured on the ground) , 37". by some calculation, it sounds like the bottom of the bike rack will touch the ground if the head goes up 12 degree.
View attachment 544810

Question:

1. is this calculation correct?
2. should I change my bike rack to the one that has some rise on the shank, what's your recommandation?
3. for the ones who installed hitch and bike rack, can you please share you experience on this and measure the two length as above pictured?

Lastly, here's how it looks like in the real world

View attachment 544812

Thanks for your feedback!
Did you ever try the 1up rack? I have a rocky mounts mono-rail and it hits EVERY time we pull in or out of the driveway. Time to move on from this rack.

Did you ever try the 1up rack? I have a rocky mounts mono-rail and it hits EVERY time we pull in or out of the driveway. Time to move on from this rack.
I have not. I’ve been using that old Yakima rack for the last two seasons, only have problems twice: one time with a very tall speed bump in a high school; the other was in the wild with a sudden drop. Both very minor.