Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch mount cargo carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have anyone use a hitch mount cargo carrier on the MY? I ordered one on amazon and looking to go on a road trip next week. I want to put a cooler and a suitcase on the cargo carrier and not sure if there will be any problem backing the car up to supercharge. If you have any experience, please share.

Thanks!

Have anyone use a hitch mount cargo carrier on the MY? I ordered one on amazon and looking to go on a road trip next week. I want to put a cooler and a suitcase on the cargo carrier and not sure if there will be any problem backing the car up to supercharge. If you have any experience, please share.

Thanks!

I have been looking into this setup, Tesla Model 3 Lightweight Cargo Carrier Rack Package | Universal Cargo Carrier for vehicles with a receiver hitch. | X-Rack. The U-mini cargo carrier looks to be specifically designed for Tesla and there seems to be a ton of accessories.

I ordered a cargo carrier on Amazon for my Model Y a couple of weeks before a camping trip. I was impressed by the 500-pound capacity and overwhelmingly favorable reviews. Thank gawd I did some research before it arrived. I was assuming the 350-pound tongue weight capacity was the same as hitch rack capacity. WRONG! The rack is not a pure downward force because there are no wheels (as in trailer) supporting the back, so there's lotsa torque working on the hitch receiver.

The hitch rack capacity is 160 pounds. So taking into account the roughly 50-pound weight of the rack itself, that left me 110 pounds for cargo. It turns out that's plenty for a weekend camping trip– ice chest, full propane tank, misc. camping gear. And the nice thing is you can leave all the wet and messy stuff in the rack and not inside the car.

I was also wondering about supercharging with the cargo carrier... I found a supercharger with plenty of space to park parallel, but I also could have backed in because the carrier would clear the parking block and not contact the cyclone fence.

Bottom line: I still think the cargo carrier is great... just be mindful of the weight limit!

ARKSEN Cargo Carrier Hitch Mount with Cargo Net Folding Luggage Basket 2" Receiver (60" x 24-3/4" inch) Camp Travel Fold Up
by OneBigOutlet
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J6B19P7/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ABE8R96K93Z730QGF271?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• tesla supercharger.jpg
    tesla supercharger.jpg
    981 KB · Views: 3,506
  • tesla cargo rack jpg.jpg
    tesla cargo rack jpg.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,068