Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch Mounted Bike Rack Efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there -

I know there are a number of threads around Bike Racks for the Model Y, but I can't seem to find any information about the efficiency variance between hanging bike racks likes the North Shore Racks, and the Platform Bike Racks like the Kuat Sherpa.

There's just two of us, so I'm thinking of a 2-bike version of the NSR hanging rack I'm looking at: NSR 2-Bike Rack | Hitch Mounted Bike Rack | North Shore Racks and there's also the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 Sherpa 2.0 Hitch Rack | Küat Racks | Bike Racks

Both are light - the NSR seems more difficult to use, but I'm trying to decide if that difficulty translates into improved range and efficiency. Does anyone have some data to review here?

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I have a 1UP hitch mounted rack on my Model Y. The efficiency hit is negligible when unloaded.

Once you start loading up bikes it really depends. Are they heavier MTB’s? E-bikes? Road bikes?

You may get a range hit between 5-15% (guesstimate).

Hey there -

I know there are a number of threads around Bike Racks for the Model Y,
but I can't seem to find any information about the efficiency variance
between hanging bike racks likes the North Shore Racks,
and the Platform Bike Racks like the Kuat Sherpa.

The NSR 2-Bike Rack will certainly offer lesser drag than the also the Sherpa 2.0 Hitch Rack.

For a long trip at high speed, removing the front wheel and the saddle will reduce even more drag.

Your can find some range numbers in the following thread:

Last edited:
A lightweight platform rack [1Up] will have little to no effect when empty. A hanging rack is both heavier and more out in the windstream so might affect performance a bit... and might be more of a pain to get out of the way when opening hatch. I did a lot of research and felt the 1Up was best choice for the long run. Any of them are going to give you a big hit with bikes on.... to the point where I took the bike apart and threw them in the back if I'm going more than 75 miles.

Any of them are going to give you a big hit with bikes on....
to the point where I took the bike apart and threw them in the back if I'm going more than 75 miles.
If you don't need the rear seat, keeping the bike (hidden) inside is certainly the best option,
especially if you need to park to do some shopping or to have a snack later on.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hrtme
Going to have to look else where as ebikes, especially fat, weigh more than what those racks are rated for. Just purchased one and it weighs in around 74lbs. Removing the battery will drop it down to 66lbs.

May want to give the Thule a glance.

Check out the 1Up 2″ Super Duty Single, it can carry Three 75# bikes.
They are expensive, but my hope is that it will still be usable in 10 years unlike any other rack I've had.

I've got the Hollywood Sport Rider SE4 (50lb per bike limit), but my e-Bike weighs 47lb. I can tell you that on a 500 mile each way trip, I was amazed at how little the rack and bike affected efficiency. Averaged around 270Wh/mi (maybe 10-15 above baseline).

They have one for e-bikes, too: Sport Rider for Electric Bikes

I highly recommend these racks. Built like tanks and no movement of rack or bike whatsoever even at 75mph or over bumps.