Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch rack options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all… I have a 2022 model Y which goes back to Tesla after the lease in just about a year. My daughter has recently started competitive cycling and so we are exploring bike rack options. In a perfect world, a bitch mounted rack makes the most sense, but I’m having a hard time swallowing that $1,300 tow package pill when I turn the car in so soon. Anyone gone a different direction with success?

Thank you.

Hey all… I have a 2022 model Y which goes back to Tesla after the lease in just about a year. My daughter has recently started competitive cycling and so we are exploring bike rack options. In a perfect world, a bitch mounted rack makes the most sense, but I’m having a hard time swallowing that $1,300 tow package pill when I turn the car in so soon. Anyone gone a different direction with success?

Thank you.
If you don’t need to use the back seat, just toss her bike in the back. Racing bikes are light.

If you don’t need to use the back seat, just toss her bike in the back. Racing bikes are light.
It's not really an option anymore unfortunately. She races cyclocross which means dirt and mud. It's been trashing the inside of the car. Even with blankets down, the dried mud gets everywhere. Plus, she's at the level where she brings two bikes to a race now. We just cant put two bikes, three people, and all of the gear needed into the car easily. Packing the car for a bike is becoming harder than the event itself.

Since she has to bring 2 bikes to events, I'm assuming 1 gets left unattended in the parking lot. I would be too scared of a thief with bolt cutters looking to score a quick buck with my expensive bike. I have a Kuat NV, which I love. I use the trail doc option quite often. My built in lock has a matching key to the hitch lock and the locks stow easily. But, they are just cable locks, so quick and easy to cut. But it stops the casual opportunistic thief who happens to be walking by and snatching it. However, I purchased mine when they were $550. Now they're significantly more expensive.

Whichever rack to you get, you should get a Kody taillight. Bikes on a rack can block the tailights of a Model Y: https://www.kodytechnologies.com/product-page/kuat-nv-2-0