Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch receiver size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Something white(ish) can be seen in the (probably test-rigging) rear bumper hole. My pet theory was always testing of a rectractable hitch (the production version obviously not having this hole visile).

It was not visible in the early-this-year Model X mule seen with similar hole in the lower image underneath.

model_x_hitch_hole.jpg

Richard Gao on Twitter:

How is this thread three pages long? This is a known thing, right? It's a 2" receiver as stated on the order page. I must have missed something.

Maybe we don't have details about the standard receiver but the tow package one is pretty clear.

TlePl8Z.png

How is this thread three pages long? This is a known thing, right? It's a 2" receiver as stated on the order page. I must have missed something.

Maybe we don't have details about the standard receiver but the tow package one is pretty clear.

Actually, no it's not clear. If you get the tow package, you clearly get a 2" hitch. Without the tow package, you still get a lower-rated hitch (e.g. for bike carriers) and Tesla never actually provided the size of the default receiver. In my opinion, it's clearly a 1.25" hitch, since that's the only other standard out there and any other size wouldn't work with the hundreds of available bike carriers.

Last edited:
Actually, no it's not clear. If you get the tow package, you clearly get a 2" hitch. Without the tow patch, you still get a lower-rated hitch (e.g. for bike carriers) and Tesla never actually provided the size of the default receiver. In my opinion, it's clearly a 1.25" hitch, since that's the only other standard out there and any other size wouldn't work with the hundreds of available bike carriers.
You're probably correct but I'm hoping it's also 2" as I want to load it up with bikes but really have no need for towing. Fortunately this is a "minor unkown" compared to the other unknowns so far. ;-)

Did you notice when this thread was started? ;-)

HAHA! That's what I missed! Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, no it's not clear. If you get the tow package, you clearly get a 2" hitch. Without the tow patch, you still get a lower-rated hitch (e.g. for bike carriers) and Tesla never actually provided the size of the default receiver. In my opinion, it's clearly a 1.25" hitch, since that's the only other standard out there and any other size wouldn't work with the hundreds of available bike carriers.

It wouldn't be surprising to see the 1.25" hitch as the accessory hitch that comes standard. Pretty much all the bike/ski racks have a 1.25" option. Also, that would provide some kind of hurdle to folks just dropping a big trailer on there.

Basically I agree with everything you wrote. :)

You can easily get a 2"->1.25" adapter for about $25 here in the U.S.

You can easily get a 2"->1.25" adapter for about $25 here in the U.S.

One can go both ways pretty cheaply.

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7020500-Receiver-Adapter/dp/B001IH8Q0A/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1M7N1CZMSNY7GMK9BVV5&dpID=4119tjDTT6L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_

http://www.amazon.com/Class-Hitch-Adapter-Insert-Sleeve/dp/B009NUY4PU/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1442334390&sr=1-1&keywords=2%22+to+1.25+%22

I think the point is that it's got to be either 2" or 1.25" as nothing else makes sense (at least here in NA). It looks like some mules had something smaller than 2" on them. The reasonable inference is 1.25" given that we know the larger one seen is 2".

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I'm getting this: http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-HitchSki-6-Ski-Adapter-Hitch/dp/B000EG3ZUC

And this: http://www.amazon.com/Yakima-FullSwing-Premium-Locking-Hitch/dp/B009P3MKLK/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=15CAWV0HYEFA9ZAJEFNQ&dpID=41iE1Dq7IsL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_

Once a season, we go on a big snowboarding trip (e.g. 8 hour drive). We had a roof rack, but the snowboards got hammered with salt and sand, so we switched to a Thule box. Now they're nice and protected for the drive.

The Yakima Ski Hitch looks functional, but I think it would require some kind of cover to protect them, since the equipment they'll be carrying will get even more hammered than a roof rack. I wouldn't put my snowboard on there unless I had a protective cover for it.

And I hate bike racks you have to hang the bike from the top tube.

I'm getting one of these...

1UPUSA.com Double Quik Rack Black

I'll likely get that yakima hitch ski rack as well. I wonder if there is a bag that you could fit over the skis or board and still clamp them in the rack that wouldn't completely shred itself at highway speeds? ;-)

Then again, I'm still hoping (although, with these new renderings of the rear cargo area it's much less likely) to fit a bike or two in the back facing rearward on some fork mounts. Sounds like the front wheels may well fit in the frunk though! ;-)

There is yet another interpretation of what we've seen so far...

The standard equipment is "Rear accessory hitch for bike or ski carrier".
The tow package includes a "Removable 2" hitch receiver".
Furthermore, the tow package (which includes the hitch receiver) is "not required for bike and ski carriers".

This implies that there is some sort of non-receiver mounting connection there to which one can hook things like the removable 2" receiver and no specific mention is made of a receiver in the standard equipment or that a receiver is needed for what they are calling a "bike and ski carrier".

I remember hearing in one of the conference calls or updates that they were working with manufacturers to create some really great solutions for carrying bikes and skis and such. What if those solutions connect directly to the location where the removable hitch connects and so there is no receiver at all without the tow package? The tow package isn't required for the ski and bike carriers because the solutions they will provide don't require a receiver hitch, for example.

I have a 2" 1UP USA rack as well and will probably get the tow package to connect it if the standard "accessory hitch" does not include a 2" receiver, or there is none available as a standalone accessory. I will not use a 2" -> 1.25" converter as that severely limits the load you can carry on a rack and it also moves the rack away from the rear of the vehicle thereby increasing drag and making the rack swing wider around corners and ruin the compactness and utility of its "fold up when not in use" stowage position. A good rack will cost almost as much as the tow package (the top 2-bike 1UP USA racks are in the vicinity of $600 and run close to $1000 for a 4-bike solution) and so I'm guessing that a well-designed branded accessory rack will likely rival the tow package in terms of price anyway.

I would be severely disappointed with Tesla if they have some "custom" solution hitch system that doesn't work with the existing 1.25" or 2" accessories already out there.

There is yet another interpretation of what we've seen so far...

The standard equipment is "Rear accessory hitch for bike or ski carrier".
The tow package includes a "Removable 2" hitch receiver".
Furthermore, the tow package (which includes the hitch receiver) is "not required for bike and ski carriers".

This implies that there is some sort of non-receiver mounting connection there to which one can hook things like the removable 2" receiver and no specific mention is made of a receiver in the standard equipment or that a receiver is needed for what they are calling a "bike and ski carrier".

I remember hearing in one of the conference calls or updates that they were working with manufacturers to create some really great solutions for carrying bikes and skis and such. What if those solutions connect directly to the location where the removable hitch connects and so there is no receiver at all without the tow package? The tow package isn't required for the ski and bike carriers because the solutions they will provide don't require a receiver hitch, for example.

I have a 2" 1UP USA rack as well and will probably get the tow package to connect it if the standard "accessory hitch" does not include a 2" receiver, or there is none available as a standalone accessory. I will not use a 2" -> 1.25" converter as that severely limits the load you can carry on a rack and it also moves the rack away from the rear of the vehicle thereby increasing drag and making the rack swing wider around corners and ruin the compactness and utility of its "fold up when not in use" stowage position. A good rack will cost almost as much as the tow package (the top 2-bike 1UP USA racks are in the vicinity of $600 and run close to $1000 for a 4-bike solution) and so I'm guessing that a well-designed branded accessory rack will likely rival the tow package in terms of price anyway.

I would be severely disappointed with Tesla if they have some "custom" solution hitch system that doesn't work with the existing 1.25" or 2" accessories already out there.

Given the prevalence of 2" and 1.25" accessories, this would be an especially inelegant solution on Tesla's part. No need to reinvent the wheel on this one. Usually when we see something like this from Tesla it's to correct a flaw in the existing available system, like the custom charge handle to replace the poorly designed existing systems. I just don't see them doing that here where the existing tech is both simple and functional.

Given the prevalence of 2" and 1.25" accessories, this would be an especially inelegant solution on Tesla's part. No need to reinvent the wheel on this one. Usually when we see something like this from Tesla it's to correct a flaw in the existing available system, like the custom charge handle to replace the poorly designed existing systems. I just don't see them doing that here where the existing tech is both simple and functional.
I generally agree with this. I'm just pointing out where the wording leaves gaps. Everyone is assuming that the standard accessory hitch has either a 2" or 1.25" receiver, but it's odd that they wouldn't just say that since they say it for the towing package. They also say that the towing package isn't needed for bike and ski racks, but it would be odd if the standard feature came with a 2" receiver and they only bothered to mention it under the towing package. And, it would be odd if the standard feature came with a 1.25" receiver and they didn't list it as they did for the towing package. On the other hand, it could simply be 2 different marketing tech writers each coming up with the best way to express the features they were given.

I basically asked myself why they'd describe the 3 points that I quoted the way that they did and branched off from there...

Doesn't this answer the question?

9/17 Accessory hitch now optional

1.25" "optional" hitch receiver for hitch-mount carrier accessories (though it looks like there is no charge for this option). If you don't get the hitch option then you get a "streamlined diffuser plate" in its place.

Tow Package Option ($750) includes removable 2" hitch receiver and high strength steel tow bar.

Thanks to "AnOutsider" for sharing the new screen in the Design Studio.

Doesn't this answer the question?

9/17 Accessory hitch now optional

1.25" "optional" hitch receiver for hitch-mount carrier accessories (though it looks like there is no charge for this option). If you don't get the hitch option then you get a "streamlined diffuser plate" in its place.

I'm happy to see that my devil's advocate interpretation was in vain. I'll go back to talking to my computers which must always be told every detail or they assume rather creative and surprising results... ;)

I got invited to configure today,1/11/2016. The 1.25" accessory hitch has been replaced by a 2". I have written to ask about the weight of cargo which could be carried on a rack, and if the rack was an approved accessory.
Interesting, would you mind posting a full res screen shot of that change? I did a video of the earlier Model X config and would like to add an annotation about that. And I'm also "collecting screen shots." :) (Gives me something to do during the long wait for a 90D).

YouTube config video is here: Tesla Model X Production Design Studio Walkthrough - YouTube

Thanks,

-Chris

Interesting, would you mind posting a full res screen shot of that change? I did a video of the earlier Model X config and would like to add an annotation about that. And I'm also "collecting screen shots." :) (Gives me something to do during the long wait for a 90D).

YouTube config video is here: Tesla Model X Production Design Studio Walkthrough - YouTube

Thanks,

-Chris

Whew...thank goodness I spend all my time on these forums. Thanks to beths11 for notifying of the change so I can change $750. I just called Tesla and no word of max weight that can be carried on the accessory hitch, but she said if you want to tow ANYTHING then you have to get the tow package. Here's the screenshot

Screen Shot 2016-01-11 at 2.33.49 PM.png