Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch receiver size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's an interesting development. I could have sworn when I was at the reveal event that the receiver behind the little panel was a 2" receiver and so I thought that Elon's car had the tow package even though the receiver wasn't removable. The panel that covered it also matched my recollection of what the accessory hitch looked like, and I started to question my memory of its size (unfortunately, I didn't take a photo of it to go back and reference). Now that the page is updated I'm pretty sure that they've all been 2" all along and it was just the web page that was out of date.

One thing I'll note is that the receiver on the Accessory Hitch is entirely enclosed except for the opening at the back so if you have a rack that requires you to put a stabilizing bolt through the receiver to lock the rack in then you may not have access to do that. It's a nice streamlined design, but only a hitch with a locking mechanism that can be accessed from the rack will work on it.

Which means if I want to continue to use my Softride Dura I'll need the full tow package, but my 1up USA rack with its handy expanding ball locking mechanism, engaged by a special allen wrench from the rear, would work just fine...

Lots of questions about the hitch..Thought I'd trow a few pictures up...Let me know if you have any questions....
Very easy to install turn a key, pull out and rotate a rotating wheel 90 degrees....put in place...everything locks tight...lock and take out key...

unit.png
Insertion.png
installed.png

I am not sure I totally follow you flar. I think that this would work as an "anti-wobble" mechanism? Amazon.com: Hitch Clamp Heavy Duty - 2 INCH: Automotive

Since you didn't quote any specific text, I'll have to guess that you are referring to my comment that the accessory hitch won't work with a rack that it is secured with a bolt?

That anti-wobble device may partly help to secure the rack, but it isn't designed for that purpose. It keeps the bar of the rack from shifting side to side inside the receiver, but it isn't designed to keep it from pulling out of the receiver at least not with any strength. It is not meant to be the attachment mechanism, just to keep it steady once secured.

If you look at the picture of the removable hitch that vangogh just posted you can see a hole in the side of the receiver. That is the hole through which many hitch accessories are secured.

Does anybody know why they changed the default hitch from 1.25" to 2" and what are the differences? Seems weird to switch this early in the production cycle. I was invited to configure yesterday and am trying to figure which to get. I doubt I will ever tow anything, but I definitely may have a ton of gear on a rack (4 29er mountain bikes, skis, equipment, etc.)

Does anybody know why they changed the default hitch from 1.25" to 2" and what are the differences? Seems weird to switch this early in the production cycle. I was invited to configure yesterday and am trying to figure which to get. I doubt I will ever tow anything, but I definitely may have a ton of gear on a rack (4 29er mountain bikes, skis, equipment, etc.)

I'm pretty sure the receiver I saw on Elon's Founders car was also a 2" (and it wasn't removable so it was the accessory hitch, not the tow package) so it isn't clear that they ever built a Model X with a 1.25" receiver. At the time I didn't bother to measure since I believed that it was the tow package and so what looked like a 2" receiver didn't seem out of place to me. Later when I saw details on the different ways the tow package and the accessory hitch work I realized that he must have had the accessory version, but by then it was too late to measure my vague memories (and for all I know it could have been a one-off version done just for Elon). Now I'm more confident that my memories were correct and that it was the accessory hitch and it was 2".

It may have been an design intent that never made it to the light of production yet survived on in the documentation here and there for a time.

When I called yesterday to ask about the accessory hitch the person said when it is not in use that it would be covered up and not noticeable. However, the description makes it sound like it has a streamlined diffuser only when not installed. Any idea if there will be cover to hide the accessory hitch?

I'm pretty sure the receiver I saw on Elon's Founders car was also a 2" (and it wasn't removable so it was the accessory hitch, not the tow package) so it isn't clear that they ever built a Model X with a 1.25" receiver. At the time I didn't bother to measure since I believed that it was the tow package and so what looked like a 2" receiver didn't seem out of place to me. Later when I saw details on the different ways the tow package and the accessory hitch work I realized that he must have had the accessory version, but by then it was too late to measure my vague memories (and for all I know it could have been a one-off version done just for Elon). Now I'm more confident that my memories were correct and that it was the accessory hitch and it was 2".

It may have been an design intent that never made it to the light of production yet survived on in the documentation here and there for a time.
I saw it too and believe it was a 1.25" receiver inside of a plastic cover which may have made it seem larger. I know there have been photos posted. I'll find them.

Lots of questions about the hitch..Thought I'd trow a few pictures up...Let me know if you have any questions....
Very easy to install turn a key, pull out and rotate a rotating wheel 90 degrees....put in place...everything locks tight...lock and take out key...

View attachment 107577View attachment 107578View attachment 107579

While looking for the accessory hitch picture I found this video showing how the full size tow hitch is attached and removed...

- - - Updated - - -

I saw it too and believe it was a 1.25" receiver inside of a plastic cover which may have made it seem larger. I know there have been photos posted. I'll find them.
Found it! Thanks to scottf200 and MarkZ...

Picture of accessory hitch 1.25"

YwqA7Ob.png

Uncovered.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was originally going to order without the accessory hitch or tow package because I did not want to see a big lump under the back of my Model X and doubted I would use it much if ever. When it was revealed that the tow package hitch is fully removable and its attachment point completely disappears when not in use, I decided to go for the tow package on the off chance I might want to use it in the future. $750 is not that much in the grand scheme of things just to know the capability is there.

I'm betting they went with the larger hitch mount for higher load capacity on bike/ski/luggage racks without a significantly higher cost. The 1.25" hitch only supported bicycle carriers "up to 120 pounds" (including the bikes).

From the Model X user manual

--
Supported Bicycle Carriers

To support the installation of a carrier (such asa bicycle rack) on the rear of Model X, theoptional towing package is required. Do notattempt to install a carrier on a Model X that isnot equipped with the towing package. Doingso can cause damage.Model X is designed to support a bicyclecarrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg). When carrybicycles on Model X, always check to ensurethat the maximum weight is not exceeded. Forexample, this weight threshold is sufficient forcarrying two bicycles weighing approximately40 lbs (18 kg) each, or four bicycles weightingapproximately 20 lbs (9 kg) each, assumingthe carrier weighs approximately 33 lbs (15kg).Warning: The accessory hitch is designedto attach a 1.25“ hitch accessory only. Donot use the accessory hitch for trailertowing, transportation or vehicle recovery.
--

The wording is confusing, however, as I think they mean "the optional accessory hitch or optional towing package is required." And there was a reference to it being a 1.25" hitch in this version of the manual.

- - - Updated - - -

When I called yesterday to ask about the accessory hitch the person said when it is not in use that it would be covered up and not noticeable. However, the description makes it sound like it has a streamlined diffuser only when not installed. Any idea if there will be cover to hide the accessory hitch?
Looks like the hitch cover is on the floor in this picture:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 107686

I've seen the picture with the red and green bottles, but it was hard to gauge size since nothing was right next to the hitch.

The second photo could convince me that it really was 1.25" since the opening looks only slightly larger than the bottle cap which is likely about 1" and near enough for perspective to not cause too much distortion.

I've seen the picture with the red and green bottles, but it was hard to gauge size since nothing was right next to the hitch.

The second photo could convince me that it really was 1.25" since the opening looks only slightly larger than the bottle cap which is likely about 1" and near enough for perspective to not cause too much distortion.

It would be really helpful to see a full picture of the back with the accessory hitch as compared to the tow hitch.

I continue to ask for specifications on the 2" accessory hitch. The inside sales advisor is unable to provide them. She doesn't say that directly, just "i advise you to buy the tow package." "The accessory hitch is for bikes and skis only." Surely there must be a tongue weight and hitch class associated with the accessory hitch? Is Tesla trying to get earlier orders to upgrade to the tow package and air suspension (I know standard with the 90) and will later release specs which do allow for some cargo rack device?

I continue to ask for specifications on the 2" accessory hitch. The inside sales advisor is unable to provide them. She doesn't say that directly, just "i advise you to buy the tow package." "The accessory hitch is for bikes and skis only." Surely there must be a tongue weight and hitch class associated with the accessory hitch? Is Tesla trying to get earlier orders to upgrade to the tow package and air suspension (I know standard with the 90) and will later release specs which do allow for some cargo rack device?
Did you not see/read the post above that was from the manual? It seems pretty clear.

Do not attempt to install a carrier on a Model X that is not equipped with the towing package.
Doing so can cause damage.
Model X is designed to support a bicycle carrier of up to 120 lbs (55 kg).
<snip>
Warning: The accessory hitch is designed to attach a 1.25“ hitch accessory only.
Do not use the accessory hitch for trailer towing, transportation or vehicle recovery.

Did you not see/read the post above that was from the manual? It seems pretty clear.

Yes, I did read that and it refers to a 1.25" hitch. The accessory hitch is now listed as a 2". I can understand they want everyone to get the tow package but the verbiage for the accessory hitch on the design page says:

Accessory Hitch

Add a factory installed 2" accessory hitch to your Model X for carrying bikes, skis, snowboards and more. Compatible with all 2" hitch mounted racks.

Tell me what "and more" is and what the specs are for the accessory hitch to make sure "and more" works.