Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitching dirt bikes with model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Vertical load limit of the Model Y hitch is only 160lbs. Vertical load limit and tongue weight are different. So with a dirtbike and carrier you will be way over the hitch limit. You are better off getting a small trailer
I was going to mention this as well. I researched this when deciding to order the MYLR with a tow hitch vs. getting an aftermarket one since we have 2 ebikes and a 1Up hitch-mounted rack. We'll need to take the batteries off of the ebikes to make it under that 160lb limit with the rack.

Reactions: Jim R
Like Vin_L said, tongue weight is different than vertical load. Tesla says this right in the owner's manual for the Model Y:

The hitch receiver is designed to support vertical loads up to 160 lbs (72 kg). When carrying bicycles, skis, or other items on the Model Y hitch, always check to ensure that the maximum weight is not exceeded. When calculating weight, remember to include the weight of the accessory carrier. For example, assuming the carrier weighs 40 lbs (18 kg), the weight threshold is sufficient for carrying two bicycles weighing approximately 60 lbs (27 kg) each, or four items weighing approximately 30 lbs (14 kg) each.

This may be a function of the hitch that Tesla uses, or of the mounting points that the hitch uses (and that any after-market hitch would use too). I'm not taking a chance to mess up my new car by overloading the hitch, personally.

I bought class 3 hitch which has a tongue capacity of 350lbs. Saw some other guys did the same !
Hey, did you get that hitch installed and tested? I'm 100% confident it can hold the bike, but REALLY woudl love to know what was the impact on range.

(As far as discussion on tongue rating, I towed my dirt bike for over 50,000kms on my previous ICE compact SUV where it was 33% OVER the tongue rating, and no issues. Pretty sure the ratings are ultra conversative and made to protect manufacturer from ANY liability)

Reactions: lonsomecrow
Hey, did you get that hitch installed and tested? I'm 100% confident it can hold the bike, but REALLY woudl love to know what was the impact on range.

(As far as discussion on tongue rating, I towed my dirt bike for over 50,000kms on my previous ICE compact SUV where it was 33% OVER the tongue rating, and no issues. Pretty sure the ratings are ultra conversative and made to protect manufacturer from ANY liability)
yes, i did

Reactions: Chewy13

Please post pictures when if fails. Thanks 👍

Reactions: akidesir
Like Vin_L said, tongue weight is different than vertical load. Tesla says this right in the owner's manual for the Model Y:

This may be a function of the hitch that Tesla uses, or of the mounting points that the hitch uses (and that any after-market hitch would use too). I'm not taking a chance to mess up my new car by overloading the hitch, personally.
This is based on the Tesla class ii hitch. Not a class 3 hitch

Mind sharing what brand that hitch is? I get the tongue weight vs vertical load limit. But the Tesla hitch is the only one that I've seen with a vertical load limit. Do you know if it attaches to the same mounting points as the factory receiver hitch?