Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HK: Model S Deposit date - confirmation - Sequence # - expected delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The D option costs $38,800 but there is a wait.
I never understood why someone in HK would want 85D. P85D I understand- you simply want the best of the best, the top of the line model. But 85D over 85 - why?
This new addition is meant for our commute between Hong Kong and China. If Tesla install enough superchargers between here and Beijing, it would be fun to drive to Beijing. 85D over 85?.. for the efficiency different.

Some people simply like AWD. For the range increase, it's very little when comparing 85 to 85D (5 miles EPA), so I don't see it as a reason, especially in Hong Kong. I do want a bigger frunk (don't know if i would use it a lot but I think the frunk of "D" is not that practical.

To me, it's either 85, or P85D. P85D is for the insane mode (it's fun, but after considering the potentially higher insurance cost, reduced range and smaller frunk, I decided not to pick for it) And most importantly, I don't want to wait!!!

Screen Shot 2015-02-06 at 4.57.02 PM.png

Got this today when I clicked into MyTesla: Production Complete, Your Model S is in transit from the factory. Very psyched. Anyone can tell me how long it took from this status to delivery? My status still says deliver by Late-March.

Anybody have information or confirmation on whether the West coast harbour labour dispute may be affecting Model S deliveries to Asia? I got the 'in transit' status at the beginning of January, but delivery may be bumped to mid-late March...that's over 2 months to deliver the car?

yes some accessories are in stock locally in HK. For eg I purchased the indoor sleeping bag and heavy duty rubber mats for the trunk when I took delivery of the vehicle. Best to call first to check whether they have what you're after / price.

Thanks Editot for the info. Our 85D is here (and it was delay for a month). I emailed Tesla's delivery team and here is the reply (and I don't know why it had to be routed to Tianjin first):
Dear Ms. Lee,

It is good to hear from you again. I really do understand your concern. Please let me explain the shift in delivery schedule to you in detail.

You are correct that when the Tesla just boarded the vessel to Hong Kong, the estimated time of arrival was end of August to September. On the 12th of August, when the vessel was close to arrival, the Chinese city of Tianjin encountered a series of explosions. The Tesla itself was not damaged as it was still at sea. This incident, however, led to Chinese port authorities instantly enacting stricter import-export control standards, where shipments with "Dangerous" goods arriving at Chinese ports must be properly labelled. Tesla, being an electric car with a 70kWh to 90Kwh battery capacity is classified under one of the sub-categories of a "Dangerous" good. And because Tesla vehicles are classified under a sub-category of a “Dangerous” good, and also because the shipment has already left port in the US and was not labelled, the shipment had to be re-routed to another country. And then from there, be shipped to Hong Kong. This ultimately is the main cause in the shift in arrival times.

Please refer to the links below as evidence of the impact in shipment arrival times as the result of the Tianjin incident.

Firms Gauge Impact of Devastating Explosions at Tianjin Port - WSJ
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2015/08/19/uk-china-blast-ports-idUKKCN0QO09420150819

Currently, the Tesla has already arrived in Hong Kong. Because this particular Tesla is the first of its kind with its unique configuration, the Hong Kong customs has requested further inspection of the vehicle to ensure that it is road-worthy. This has further caused a shift in delivery schedule. To ensure that you are well aware of the situation, I will update you again by the end of next week.

I purchased my P85D off inventory so had it in a couple of weeks without all of this "fluff". Would have driven me mad!

I don't understand why they can't be a little more straight forward in their dealings. HK's import regs would not have changed following the Tianjin incident. Customs website (Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department - Press Releases) could show if this is (not) the case.

You have my interest, if I may ask, what is your unique configuration?

I'm absolutely loving my new car, BTW. 4,000km's in a month.

It will be well worth the wait ;-)

Our up coming 4th Model S has these options: Premium Interior Package, Leather Interior, All Glass Panoramic Roof, Smart Air Suspension, Tech Package with Autopilot, Alcantara Headliner. The VIN is on the the dashboard and the dashboard also said "Your Model S is being prepared for pickup or delivery."

Your Model S is in transit from the factory.

Deposit paid on 12th Jul 2015,
19th Sep 2015 "The Tesla Factory is building your Model S" (+2.25 months)
30th Sep 2015 "Your Model S is in transit from the factory." (+11 days)

Is there a website for you to check the status of your car? I've taken over someone's spot by paying them their deposit (had a new baby and his wife wants him to get a mini van instead now); Tesla keeps saying "around" mid October (the guy originally told me the car will be here in Sept). If there's a website you can check with your Tesla reference number, I'd appreciate if you could post it up, thanks!!!

Is there a website for you to check the status of your car? I've taken over someone's spot by paying them their deposit (had a new baby and his wife wants him to get a mini van instead now); Tesla keeps saying "around" mid October (the guy originally told me the car will be here in Sept). If there's a website you can check with your Tesla reference number, I'd appreciate if you could post it up, thanks!!!

You check status of your car through the official Tesla website, a page called "My Tesla"