Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HK Politics and Superciliousness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lucky I'm not on the mainland today, I wouldn't be able to watch YouTube and it's dangerous ideas! You really have to wonder why they are afraid of the people thinking for themselves.

It's a pity you think that anyone who understands democracy is a western subversive, I've lived in HK decades and I can assure you I understand the talks.

The irony of your position is that you couldn't safely express a subversive independent idea safely in the dictatorship to the north. Lucky there are brave people in Hong Kong who will stand up for their right to self determination.

Lucky I'm not on the mainland today, I wouldn't be able to watch YouTube and it's dangerous ideas! You really have to wonder why they are afraid of the people thinking for themselves.

It's a pity you think that anyone who understands democracy is a western subversive, I've lived in HK decades and I can assure you I understand the talks.

The irony of your position is that you couldn't safely express a subversive independent idea safely in the dictatorship to the north. Lucky there are brave people in Hong Kong who will stand up for their right to self determination.

Speaking of going off the tangent!

Good thing that Mark moved these posts here away from the other thread.

I totally agree, and fully support measures taken towards freedom, transparency, democracy, justice, anti-corruption and so on. And on the same account, environmental issues, like all the stuff we are burning. Sure some modern "needs" like for instance ... aviation ... cannot easily be done with electric power and batteries YET, while cars, trains, buses, building heating/cooling and much more, easily can be done with renewables - we just need to want to do it.

Buying a Tesla Model S or other reai electric car (not a hybrid, please), is part of this ongoing battle as well. Next up: How do we convince Hong Kong to allow (and even promote) wind turbines and solar power?

There is so much unused roof and wall space, we could be producing lots of energy. Become independent of Big Brothers energy. And harvest rain water, there is so much rain in Hong Kong, why do we import so much water from China?

Speaking of going off the tangent!

Good thing that Mark moved these posts here away from the other thread.

I totally agree, and fully support measures taken towards freedom, transparency, democracy, justice, anti-corruption and so on. And on the same account, environmental issues, like all the stuff we are burning. Sure some modern "needs" like for instance ... aviation ... cannot easily be done with electric power and batteries YET, while cars, trains, buses, building heating/cooling and much more, easily can be done with renewables - we just need to want to do it.

Buying a Tesla Model S or other reai electric car (not a hybrid, please), is part of this ongoing battle as well. Next up: How do we convince Hong Kong to allow (and even promote) wind turbines and solar power?

There is so much unused roof and wall space, we could be producing lots of energy. Become independent of Big Brothers energy. And harvest rain water, there is so much rain in Hong Kong, why do we import so much water from China?

That is a great point. Sometimes during my runs, especially in the hot humid bright summers we had over the summer, I used to look at the empty shining rooftops of some buildings and wonder why we couldn't add some solar panels up there? And I recall my friend telling me often times the top floor of a building is a harder sell then one or two floors lower than the top, because the top floor is always hotter and more difficult to keep cool. I can't verify that, but he's a born and raised HK'er and he would tell me 2 floors below the top floor is the best as the aircon can handle the heat better than the top floors. I used to think, man so much heat, I wish we could tap into it with solar panels.

http://blog.ted.com/2013/07/01/why-...f-eric-x-lis-a-tale-of-two-political-systems/

Best TED of 2013

China and the End of Meta-Narratives
Eric X. Li: A tale of two political systems - YouTube
This is the best TED Talk 2013
It's a standard assumption in the West: As a society progresses, it eventually becomes a capitalist, multi-party democracy. Right? Eric X. Li, a Chinese investor and political scientist, begs to differ. In this provocative, boundary-pushing talk, he asks his audience to consider that there's more than one way to run a succesful modern nation.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes (or less). Look for talks on Technology, Entertainment and Design -- plus science, business, global issues, the arts and much more.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KN2KfkojTQs
Subtitles

I hope you all watch, if you carefully listen, open mind and your eye, you should be able to see and understand what the world of democracy is happening ! So stop ...........

When I signed up for a motoring club / forum, I certainly didn’t expect to see such a political debate on the forum. Good to see people with the sense to agree to disagree… definitely shouldn’t resort to calling names.

I believe the word “democracy” originates from rule of the people and a pluralism of individuals. As a citizen and a driver in Hong Kong, also an individual voice (as I don't seek to occupy a “moral” high ground of representing the people of Hong Kong) - can I please have my %#@&(@ road back!

Can those people hear this!? Or conveniently seek to drum out one voice that is different to yours, and rob me of my freedom and right of way on a (many) public road.