Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HK TeslaS in China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just tried taking mine over for the first time (Model X).. Not a great result...

Maps turn off at the border with the message:
Maps Disabled
Google Maps and Search are not available in China

So even still getting a HK signal maps don't work, I assume it's a limitation based on GPS location.

Roaming doesn't work over the border, just no signal in China at all and doesn't pick up a local network.

Running hotspot on a phone with HK sim enables Spotify, but still no maps.

Not sure what options there are for maps other than wait to see if Google and China can make friends with each other again?

Tesla uses a different map data provider for mainland China. Not sure which one but the data is not very up to date. I have found myself driving 3 year old expressways which don't show on the map. As for driving in the countryside... bring a phone!
We also don't have streaming radio and voice recognition only works if you speak accurate Puton Hua. No English, no Cantonese and none of the main dialects.
We got tunein for all of nine channels last year but they are really low data rates so sound like they are playing in a cardboard box.
So as seriously degraded system even for Models built for the mainland.

• Informative
Reactions: flyingbathtub