Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ho Ho Ho and Ho Ho Ho not funny update. Ap2 seems worse!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Optimistically, this behavior will improve after 30-100 miles of driving. Chalk it up to recalibration. Or not.

It’s time Tesla added release notes - real release notes - per update.

Even the one-liner they added for awhile similar to what Apple Store updates are required to have (a simple line about minor bug fixes and performance enhancements) was useful.

Why? Because it tells us what the patch *isn’t* and therefore what not to expect.

Anyway, shite still happens (see *.50), but it would surely be nice to know if core functionality is going to be degraded *before* choosing to apply the update.

Am starting to realize that what beta testers there are must only be engaged for “major” updates - you know, the ones for which they actually write release notes of any substance.

No good deed goes unpunished - clearly there was pressure to push this due to the holiday season. In a perfect world, holiday eggs would be written 3 holidays in advance. That would of course be the same world in which software is delivered on time *zing*.

But two poorly-received updates in as many weeks? Not a good look. Put another way, the masses that are soon to be upon us will not behave in the sheeple-ish manner that the fanbois would prefer. I feel badly in advance for the service centers and telephonic support folks who tend to bear the brunt of this sort of thing.

Optimistically, this behavior will improve after 30-100 miles of driving. Chalk it up to recalibration. Or not.

It’s time Tesla added release notes - real release notes - per update.

Even the one-liner they added for awhile similar to what Apple Store updates are required to have (a simple line about minor bug fixes and performance enhancements) was useful.

Why? Because it tells us what the patch *isn’t* and therefore what not to expect.

Anyway, shite still happens (see *.50), but it would surely be nice to know if core functionality is going to be degraded *before* choosing to apply the update.

Am starting to realize that what beta testers there are must only be engaged for “major” updates - you know, the ones for which they actually write release notes of any substance.

No good deed goes unpunished - clearly there was pressure to push this due to the holiday season. In a perfect world, holiday eggs would be written 3 holidays in advance. That would of course be the same world in which software is delivered on time *zing*.

But two poorly-received updates in as many weeks? Not a good look. Put another way, the masses that are soon to be upon us will not behave in the sheeple-ish manner that the fanbois would prefer. I feel badly in advance for the service centers and telephonic support folks who tend to bear the brunt of this sort of thing.

While reading this, I couldn't help but see parallels to the new tax legislation.

• Funny
Reactions: ABVA

Looking at user feedback from recent updates, it makes me wonder if the development team does any testing at all beyond "does it compile?". Obvious vehicle-breaking bugs keep getting released to users. What's going on?

I’m super happy with 2017.50.1 and now 2017.50.2. I got 50.1 last week on our X (AP2). It did start off driving a bit toward the left lane, but after around 30-50 miles or so, the car evened out the positioning in the lanes. It feels much more controlled and smooth in lane.

One thing I was playing with this week with 2017.50.1 and now 2017.50.2 is the ability for the car to take cloverleaf turns. It works for AP2, and just found out today, it partially works for AP1 (we have both). Pretty cool.

My observations:

.48 feels like AP2 finally passed AP1

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
I’ve definitely noticed it needing to take a bunch of curves, turns, and stops after each patch before it performs solidly, maybe 50 to 100 miles.

Not sure if it’s calibration or trim or whatever but it does seem to be a thing for AP2.
Thanks for the info, AP2 comes on just wouldn't let me switch lanes with the blinker. I'll see if it starts working tomorrow.

Seemed better to me, after 20 miles. I did notice that I left the house with the ‘verifying update’ message which I dismissed, and got a pop up with the release notes around 10 miles away from home on the motorway. The lane change was a bit fusssy before that point. I wonder how taxing the validation processing is on the processor. I just wanted to get going this morning, but normally set updates to run overnight. Santa egg is great.

Thanks for the info, AP2 comes on just wouldn't let me switch lanes with the blinker. I'll see if it starts working tomorrow.

If you are taking a local road it will not change lane with AP. AP2 lane change only works on Highways (defined as highways on the maps).

Further on local roads, if the road isn’t in the maps (I don’t know how we would know except by trial and error), it will speed limit to 45 mph, irregardless of what the actual speed limit is. I know this because there is a road I take regularly that is 35 mph throughout its length. 2/3 of the road is “new” where AP2 does the generic 45 mph speed limit. 1/3 is “old” where it does the correct 35 mph speed limit.

I believe the reason for this is that the current development of AP2 is more involved that what was needed for AP1 (8 cameras for AP2 vs. 1 for AP1), so the coding and training for the NN is likely a lot more intensive. Just my WAG. Likely some aspects of the AP has been split out between the cameras vs. the maps.

Reactions: Lodo1000