Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA Charging Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my HOA request to install a charging station in my garage declined. However they are going to install community charging stations that will be residential accesses only. Is this a workaround for Civil Code 4745 in California?

I just had my HOA request to install a charging station in my garage declined. However they are going to install community charging stations that will be residential accesses only. Is this a workaround for Civil Code 4745 in California?
This is the purpose of the law:

"...it is the policy of the state to promote, encourage, and remove obstacles to the use of electric vehicle charging stations."

In its spirit, whether it's a private charging station with your exclusive access alone or a community one where everyone can, I don't think that would be an obstacle for promoting EV.

But to be exact, the law seems to emphasize exclusive use of an owner's unit such as an in-unit garage, designated parking space...

As long as the community one doesn't impede the use of an EV, I wouldn't make a fuss about it.

However, if it does, I would demand my private charging station.

Reactions: ofcorona
If you are paying to install your own charging station in a garage that is under your exclusive control, not in the common area, and connected to your electric service, IMHO, the HOA has no basis to decline your request. In fact, in that situation, I would apply for a permit with the City building department and just do it.
However, if it is visible from outside, in the common area, or not connected to your electrical service, then you are absolutely at the mercy of the HOA.

If you are paying to install your own charging station in a garage that is under your exclusive control, not in the common area, and connected to your electric service, IMHO, the HOA has no basis to decline your request. In fact, in that situation, I would apply for a permit with the City building department and just do it.
However, if it is visible from outside, in the common area, or not connected to your electrical service, then you are absolutely at the mercy of the HOA.

Since this OP said the HOA is going to do"community charging stations", It sounds like its a townhome / condo / apartment situation. If thats the case, the electrical service likely comes into a shared box etc, and getting service to your own spot normally involves going across stuff not owned by you.

In a single family home, there is no HOA approval needed for charging in your garage that I have seen, but for shared dwellings, I believe they have a right to intercede if they believe that it can impact more than just you. im not an expert on HOAs, but thats what I remember.

Since this OP said the HOA is going to do"community charging stations", It sounds like its a townhome / condo / apartment situation. If thats the case, the electrical service likely comes into a shared box etc, and getting service to your own spot normally involves going across stuff not owned by you.

In a single family home, there is no HOA approval needed for charging in your garage that I have seen, but for shared dwellings, I believe they have a right to intercede if they believe that it can impact more than just you. im not an expert on HOAs, but thats what I remember.
Exactly. His garage could be attached to his unit and within his titled envelope. In that case, he doesn't need HOA approval. However, the garage could be in a separate structure and assigned or even titled, but not served by his electric meter. His situation was not precisely described.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you are paying to install your own charging station in a garage that is under your exclusive control, not in the common area, and connected to your electric service, IMHO, the HOA has no basis to decline your request...
It's true for detached houses HOA.

However, I am not sure for townhome / condo / apartment where the HOA owns all the structures and unit owners own the space inside the structure.

HOA needs to know new rooms are added, rerouted plumbings, and if there's an EV charging station fire in the unit owner's garage, they need to know that in advance because the structure of the garage belongs to HOA.

It's true for detached houses HOA.

However, I am not sure for townhome / condo / apartment where the HOA owns all the structures and unit owners own the space inside the structure.

HOA needs to know new rooms are added, rerouted plumbings, and if there's an EV charging station fire in the unit owner's garage, they need to know that in advance because the structure of the garage belongs to HOA.
There are so many permutations of townhouse / condo / etc. with different combinations of conditions. The OP needs to update his actual garage situation.

Personally, I had a townhome that had an attached garage and I had full control of the inside of the garage. The electric meter and main panel were directly on the front of the garage, adjacent to the one common wall. Installing a EV charging circuit would have been very easy. However, I had the foresight to request a 240V outlet from the builder. This was 2003, way before I ever considered an electric car. I was thinking more about tools and maybe an air compressor.

I was also the HOA president for a short time before I moved and sold the townhome.

There are so many permutations of townhouse / condo / etc. with different combinations of conditions. The OP needs to update his actual garage situation.

Personally, I had a townhome that had an attached garage and I had full control of the inside of the garage. The electric meter and main panel were directly on the front of the garage, adjacent to the one common wall. Installing a EV charging circuit would have been very easy. However, I had the foresight to request a 240V outlet from the builder. This was 2003, way before I ever considered an electric car. I was thinking more about tools and maybe an air compressor.

I was also the HOA president for a short time before I moved and sold the townhome.

My garage is shared with a different unit. The HOA describes the garage as a common area, thus why I submitted an architectural request.

My garage is shared with a different unit. The HOA describes the garage as a common area, thus why I submitted an architectural request.
Ok, that makes sense. You are not allowed to make any modifications to the common area without a plan approved by the HOA. The next question is whether your electrical service is easily accessible to your parking space. By that I mean to ask how long the conduit will be from the closest portion of your parking space to your electrical meter or electrical panel.

It will be far more convenient to have charging available in your assigned or titled parking space than to use a shared space where you will have to move your car when it's done charging.