TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

HOA - Condo charging issues?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by pluginx007, Apr 2, 2016.

1. pluginx007

pluginx007 MXCar :)

Hi, I have a Model X on its way and now a 3... My HOA doesn't have any outlets or common area EV chargers.

Has anyone had issues with their HOA not allowing them to install an outlet in your own space? I have a meter in the garage that isn't too far, but my panel is in my unit.. and they do not want to deal with me taking power from their breaker as metering and billing is something they do not want to deal with.

Thanks! will appreciate all the help I can get.

2. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

3. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Ask the HOA for their policy on California Civil Code Section 1353.9. As I understand it, landlords and HOAs have very little scope to say "no" as long as you are willing to shoulder the costs and liability.

4. pluginx007

pluginx007 MXCar :)

Thanks! Yes I am willing to pay what it costs, but they don't want me taking power from their panels as they don't want to deal with me paying a fee to them.

5. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

That's understandable and reasonable, at least in my opinion. The HOA isn't set up to be a utility after all. Have you looked into installing a submeter that bills to you, with your usage automatically subtracted from the HOA's meter? That probably means working with your local utility, which may not be easy.

6. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

Services like evercharge or semaconnect take out the need for a submeter. If I can ever get my board to move forward over here, I think evercharge will be the choice.