Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HOA - Condo charging issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a Model X on its way and now a 3... My HOA doesn't have any outlets or common area EV chargers.

Has anyone had issues with their HOA not allowing them to install an outlet in your own space? I have a meter in the garage that isn't too far, but my panel is in my unit.. and they do not want to deal with me taking power from their breaker as metering and billing is something they do not want to deal with.

Thanks! will appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks! Yes I am willing to pay what it costs, but they don't want me taking power from their panels as they don't want to deal with me paying a fee to them.

That's understandable and reasonable, at least in my opinion. The HOA isn't set up to be a utility after all. Have you looked into installing a submeter that bills to you, with your usage automatically subtracted from the HOA's meter? That probably means working with your local utility, which may not be easy.

Well, like @mblakele pointed out, in California, HOA's do not have a say in allowing you to have a charger. They can place reasonable limits, such as requiring you to install your own meter. Failure of the HOA to comply results in a large penalty. I believe it is $10,000. You will be required to do the following:
  1. Have a liability policy that specifically names the building.
  2. Obtain all necessary permits
  3. Use a licensed contractor
  4. Foot the entire bill yourself
You do not need access to the panel in your unit. You have the option of tying into your existing meter at the source (which is exactly what I did), or adding a second meter. You can get a quote from an electrician and look at your utility rates, and find out which is better for you.

Well, like @mblakele pointed out, in California, HOA's do not have a say in allowing you to have a charger. They can place reasonable limits, such as requiring you to install your own meter. Failure of the HOA to comply results in a large penalty. I believe it is $10,000. You will be required to do the following:
  1. Have a liability policy that specifically names the building.
  2. Obtain all necessary permits
  3. Use a licensed contractor
  4. Foot the entire bill yourself
You do not need access to the panel in your unit. You have the option of tying into your existing meter at the source (which is exactly what I did), or adding a second meter. You can get a quote from an electrician and look at your utility rates, and find out which is better for you.

Exactly the info I was looking for. We own a condo in SSF, have a deeded parking space in a shared subterranean garage, and are looking to install a HPWC in our parking space. We need to tap into our PG&E meter and run conduit across the common area garage ceiling and install the HPWC on a common area wall. We presented to the HOA board today, but they want a lot more info. We are the first ones to go through this in our complex, so they have a lot of questions. I would like to share the California Civil Code Section 1353.9 with them, but I am worried about the insurance policy clause.

@4SUPER9 and @mblakele - thanks for the helpful information! But question for you both - did your homeowners insurance premiums go up dramatically by obtaining the $1M umbrella policy? I just did a quick quote and it seems to take my policy from $600/yr to $3,600/yr!

@4SUPER9 and @mblakele - thanks for the helpful information! But question for you both - did your homeowners insurance premiums go up dramatically by obtaining the $1M umbrella policy? I just did a quick quote and it seems to take my policy from $600/yr to $3,600/yr!

I had the liability umbrella before I even thought about an EV. It worked out cheaper to have that for both home and auto than to insure each separately. It wasn't far off from what @RubberToe quoted.

Try shopping around a little: you might find a better deal.

Here is a link to my condo charging thread, which seems similar to your situation:

Condo Charging - Minimal cost installation and some questions

Some utilities in California are now rolling out programs to help put chargers in multi-unit dwellings. I think this will be the preferred method going forward, along with HOA coordination and/or financial input.

The cost, time and headache associated with "going it alone" in a 50 unit complex would dissuade all but the most determined people.

With the upcoming Model 3 flood, there will be a forcing function that should speed up the process. There is no getting around the issue that "someone" is still going to have to do a lot of work, both planning and actual construction.

I'm still on the board, and people regularly ask me about when charging will be available. In our specific case, we have 76 underground spaces. Our CC&R's do not give the HOA control over space reassignment. This is needed so that we can install charging stations in the spaces near building sub-panels to keep the cost down.

So step 1 is to modify the CC&R's to let us start the process. We haven't even started down that path yet.

RT

• Informative
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Hi, I have a Model X on its way and now a 3... My HOA doesn't have any outlets or common area EV chargers.

Has anyone had issues with their HOA not allowing them to install an outlet in your own space? I have a meter in the garage that isn't too far, but my panel is in my unit.. and they do not want to deal with me taking power from their breaker as metering and billing is something they do not want to deal with.

So, the 800 lb gorilla in the room is.... Why buy a 100% electric car BEFORE working on charging options with your HOA?

You now have a potential 6000lb paper weight.

I wish you luck, because all you need is one prig on the HOA board and you will face an uphill battle.

T